Tweeters...

scott42

Contributor
:
Blue MP3 #1169; '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca
Has anyone put tweeters maybe like THESE to "liven up" the sound a little bit.
I'm not big into the audio thing, but I wanted to find out what kind of work/alterations these would take to put in. Either on the doors (by the mirror) or on the dash (up on the corners) :confused:
Any Help/direction is appreciated...thx

if they are done right they sound great.
i did them wrong to my 7 and it sounded like s.
i THINK they are coponet speakers part of a set. they go in a certain spot in your car.
i would put them in the triangle area behind the side mirror. that is most stero places put them.
raerae

As a professional in the automotive sound industry, I get the best results putting them as close to the mid as possible. Directly over the front is the best. I could give a VERY long winded explanation, or you could take my word for it. The triangle behind the mirror is more of a looks thing.

I have to disagree with "sttl013" on his suggestion for placement of tweeters.
I understand his reasoning for suggesting to mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible, but this is not always practical or possible.

Although I am not an expert in the field, I have been following it for quite awhile & read quite a bit.
Tweeters, because they produce the higher frequencies, are very directional. In other words, if you mount them flush in the door down by the front speaker, then they will be aimed at your leg, and you get very little benefit from having installed them.
You want to have the tweeters aimed at the listeners head. It does come down to a matter of personal preference - if you mount them by the front mirrors, and aim them at the headrest of the closest seat, then the listener might find the sound too "bright"(too much treble). I personally am going to mount tweeters in the door(around the door pull) whenever I get around to adding to the stereo. (This is providing that there is enough space in the door to mount them in my preferred location)

The best solution would probably be to mount the mid & tweeter in a custom kick-panel fabrication, but this is a more expensive option. This way, the mis & tweeter would be close together, and both can be aimed at the listener.

That's my 2cents on the subject.

I would mount the tweeter in the triangle where the side mirrors are. When i get mine installed I will show pics. This will most defintely get better sound. No way in hell with only two in the middle will give you the best sound. you will have dead spots....On the other hand I dont know what sttl013 is looking for, might work good for him. I can guarntee that you will not do as good in an SQL comp witht hem in the middle.
I bought a componet set that has the mid driver go in the door and the tweeter is mountable on anything. It even had pods to clip on the back to angle the tweeter. Again when i install them "which i hope i have time tonight" ill post pics.

i agree with sttl013, when i bought components for my dakota it said to put them within 12" of the mid for the best sound. putting them to high makes it so you hear to much highs.

I have to agree with the expert. Two of my buddies both own sound shops and set a few of my vehicles up using the 6 inch philosphy...ie...tweeter is no more and as close to no less than six inches away from the mid bass. They both sounded awsome after we got done with the install. The kick panel previously mentioned would be the best for imaging...but economically not as sound as the door method. Oh btw...for those of you cutting into the door panels for the tweets, try and find a pipe fitting tool, it works wonders for cutting the mounting hole for the tweeters...nice and clean.

Having competed in car audio in the past,the
best place I have found to mount tweeters is in the kick panel,angled to the center of the car .I have done this on my 2001 LX 2.0 .Not only did it improve the sound ,it also raised the sound stage to create a phantom center . I used the factory door speakers as mids .

Ok i stand back and I reread what sttl013 wrote and i do agree with him, when he put
" I get the best results putting them as close to the mid as possible." I really thought he ment MIDDLE for the word Mid....I stand corrected....but as far as my experience i will show where i put my tweeters, and we will all just have to goto a competion see which will do better. Sorry stt1013, I shouldnt have read through your post so quick, sorry again.

No sweat, guys. All I do here is relate my experience I've obtained over the years and hope someone can benefit from it.
No, I didn't mean the middle of the car! :D Glad you got it.
By the way, the kicks do the best for sound because it helps equalize the distance to both speakers. In the door, the driver's speaker is signficantly closer to you than the pass. door speaker. Using the kick panels moves them further away, helping to equalize the distance to both. This helps time alignment from both speakers to your head. Still not exactly equal, but it really does make a difference.

sttl is absolutely right! I will back him fully on his explanations and it is obvious from his posts that he has taken part in at least one real car stereo competition and understands what good sound is. If you're going for SPL it doesn't really matter where you place the speaker as long as there are a lot of them and they are loud. However, I assume you want to drive around in your vehicle and most of your listening time will not be spent at 150db's(for your ears sake I hope not). For that reason you should try to get the best most listenable sound you can so you don't cause your ears to fatigue quickly which will decrease your enjoyment of your expensive stereo system by a whole lot.

Tight, I understand you misunderstood his post, but your solution of sticking them in the triangle will leave a large "hole" or dead spot in the center of the soundtage as well as not give you a balanced sound across the soundstage. This would also decrease the "depth" of the soundstage. All of which will cost you some points in a soundoff.
Try it for yourself. Get the most recent competition CD from IASCA and check it out on two different sytems. One with the tweets up high and one with them close to the midrange in the kick panels. You'll see what we mean.

You guys can call me Mark, sttl013 is my Yahoo ID, just easier to use it here too. BTW, if you do get custom kicks, an even better trick is to place the tweets a little lower than the mid. Actually the shape comes out to a teardrop, and I've found best placement (with some variation depending on the car) to place the tweeter closer to the door, with the mid behind it and a little above it. I'll try and find some pics to better show the description.

There are supposed to be some "coaxial" type speakers that can achieve this type of thing even better becasue the place the two speakers in essentially the same postition. I think MB Quart was or is putting them, out. The usual problem with coaxs is that they are generally built with less quality because they are menat for droppng in to stock locations as replacement speakers. The crossovers and such on them are generally of poor quality. MB Quart made some where it was truly a two speaker (tweet and mid) with a very good crossover much like you would get with a component set. Less holes to cut!
Youe still have to put them in the right place and aim them properly though. You can't just slap them in the doors and win competitions. That's if you even care about competing! To just liven up the sound these would be fine right in the stock locations.

Back