G-Tech Readings?

M

<MP3Ben>

Has anyone tried to use a G-Tech on their MP3's yet? I just bought my G-Tech and I made a single run on my stock MP3 (just run in) and the thing read my maximum hp as only 100 hp (ouch...). I know it's a reading at the wheels and also takes into account aerodynamic drag, but still it seems low. I'll have to try it again soon! It would be nice to see if anyone's got any hp readings, quarter mile times, 0-60, etc...from it as well...

damn i hope that wrong that means we have a 40 horse loss at the wheels. from what i get from zx2 s/r (they have 142 horse stock) they put between 110 - 119 at the wheels.

100hp seems low, what road did you test it on, and where did you ger it and for how mach :D , end remember that going up hill will give less hp and dawn hill will give you more :) ,

Oh a few things I forgot to mention when I was doing the reading (and upon retrospect): I dialed in the weight as 2900lbs including myself in the car. I'm 160, and from some calculations off the posted maximum weight of the car (3664) on the driver side door I arrived at that number.

I picked as level a road as I could, but there may have been a slight incline.

As well, I didn't check to see if the G-Tech was positioned completely parallel to my path. If it wasn't, a loss of hp in measurement is likely.

I ran the first two gears only (because I ran out of road after that), shifting at 6000rpm because that's where this car supposedly makes maximum hp. Would this have made any difference?

Try sifting at the red line 6.5k it will give you better results i think ;) , and how mach did you pay for it, ?

Originally posted by hukster00:
<STRONG>Try sifting at the red line 6.5k it will give you better results i think ;) , and how mach did you pay for it, ?</STRONG>

The MP3 reach its peak HP at 6k. You'll definately want to shift at red line (or a little bit pass it) so that when you shift to your next gear, you'll be at a higher RPM range which brings you closer to your peak HP.

I paid $200 Canadian for my G-Tech. Next time when I do my runs I'll average the numbers from a few and post them. Of course, that may be a while coz I'm actually still running in the car (close to oil change time though so I risked it and did my first run).

I'll remember about shifting at slightly higher rpm's though. Hopefully the hp is not really 100! It sounds low to me too. :(

I'll try to make a more accurate set of measurements soon and I'll keep you all posted!

The G-Tech is somewhat accurate, but not all that accurate. I'd opt for the cooler looking, better functioning APEXi RSM-GP, which does the same as the G-Tech Pro, but promises to be more accurate. Heck when you think about it, you can take that $140 and spend it on getting your car dyno'd & tuned by a shop capable of doing so. According to the basic HP loss calculations. You lose a max of 15% of your hp, possibly a little less, through the drivetrain. So, 142hp X 15%= 21.7 Rounds upto about 22hp. So we should have about 120 hp @ the wheels. Not, bad if you ask me.

With the MHPtuning CAI, APEXi S-AFC, better spark plags, and dyno tunning for the S-AFC to make sure you running the fuel properly, I'm guessing we should be at around 135hp to the wheels, torque might be around 136 lb ft. These are just estimates mind you. The actual gains will remain to be scene until of course one of us dyno's the MP3 with those mods I listed. I'm definately having my car dyno'd when I finally get my intake, S-AFC, and experiment with different plugs.

After speaking to Racing Beat and confirming that the HP is being robbed by the cat on the exhaust manifold, I'm only hoping I can find a way to make the car quite once I get the money for a header. If there is ever a header on the market. With a header and larger diameter piping, I'm convinced our MP3's will produce some great numbers. If anyone has questions about APEXi products, I'd be more than willing to answer them, you can also call APEXi, but they're a little difficult to get through to sometimes.

Here are some pics and info on the RSM-GP and S-AFC

RSM-GP https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
rev-speed.gif

S-AFC
Description
pImgLeft_electronics_safc2.jpg

Just thought I'd post my 02. cents

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

On Ebay, they go for as much as $300, but rarely do people actually pay that much. Yes one is actually being bid on for $300 right now though. I can get it for about $180 w G-sensor. I just have other things I'm looking to buy first like the intake.

I did a couple more runs now since the car is finally run in. Yes I noticed that the G-Tech isn't too accurate, but I just wanted some numbers to compare to, before and after a mod to serve as a baseline. Well, the numbers now average at around 110hp. Seeing as how we should be getting about 120hp to the ground stock, maybe the other 10hp loss is attributed to wind drag? The manual does say that we will consistently get lower numbers on the G-Tech than a dyno because of this reason. Perhaps...

Anyways, just an FYI ;)

Cool :D , I'm thinking of getting the G-Tech so i can compare the number with the monds, and not just say it feels faster :p

Back