MY TOP SPEED

Well its 1:00am on friday morning and i was just coming home from droping a friend off. Pulling on to the highway an RX-7 and an Accord zoomed by so what the hell, i nailed the gas(then the car started to move, anyways) i caught up a little later and passed them at about 110. I watched there lights get smaller until the RX-7 decided to play. A second later he was next to me. I still held on to the trottle passing 120(my previous best) and the RX-7 stayed with me. Then i watched the speedo creep slow. 123, 124, 125. I looked up in shock then overto the RX-7. And the second i realized i hit 125 in my stock MP3 he waived and left me standing(at 125 still) then he dissapeard into the distance

You're so lucky, having an RX-7 mess with you like that! If an RX-7 ever messed with me.. I'd.. feel so honored. ;-;

I've had my MP3 to 133 driving home from New Orleans. I was very surprised that the car would do it, but it took forever to get there. Nothing compared to the 170 I've done(as a passenger) in my boyfriend's NSX though.

probably the most amazing top speed ive done is 155 in my dads Saab 9-5 Wagon. its so fun racing people and kicking their ass in a wagon. saab is probably the biggest production sleeper.

155mph in a Saab 9-5 Wagon...impressive...what year and engine/drivetrain combo does it have (4cyl turbo 5M or V6)? Hp and Tq #'s?

props on doing 125mph in your mp3 but man the Topspeed on a 95 RX-7 Twin Turbo is 167mph. Ive only gone 120mph in the Mp3 and 135mph in my 94 protege LX. What did the Accord top out at i figure 110-115mph am i right???? :D

ive gotten my mp3 up to 120 and could have gone more but shut down. i think the best run i have been in wasnt faster only 110 but just the fact that it was in a REAL 1965 Shelby GT 350 on the streets of L.A., dont worry my Uncle was driving and he knows how to drive.

yeah well although 125 isnt impressive next to an rx7 i made it. Its just aggrevating when i think that i got rid of a 1991 eclipse gsx (146mph best) and have to miss that boost every time i drive.

Originally posted by freekwonder:
<STRONG>ive gotten my mp3 up to 120 and could have gone more but shut down. i think the best run i have been in wasnt faster only 110 but just the fact that it was in a REAL 1965 Shelby GT 350 on the streets of L.A., dont worry my Uncle was driving and he knows how to drive.</STRONG>

What do you mean by shut down?

If not not mistaken, some of the newer model cars have what you call a governer. In my pontiac sunfire, It shuts down at 108, and I think the Mp3 might have one too. But don't hold me to that! I know you can buy a new computer which could run ya anywhere between like $250.00-$500.00. It blocks the governer from shutting your car down. When your car does shut down, the engine stops( from what I hear) and you slowly lose speed til you come to a dead stop. Make sure you are off the road at this point!!! A had a friend once who had a 97 s10 and when his govern kicked in, it would slow him down, but to like 75, and then he was okay to get on it again. ;)

uh oh sleepfire, it looks like the old top speed post is starting again. Your sunfire does have a governor but I don't believe the MP3 does. It generally stops at about 125 because of drag on the motor. As for the governor shutting your car down until you stop, I don't think that happens. That would be too dangerous. I believe it is just like a rev-limiter and when you hit it, the engine just cuts off for a second or two. I have never been in a car when we hit the top speed governor but I have heard from my friend with a V6 mustang that his car cuts off at 108 and it only stops for a second or two. I wouldn't go test this without knowing for sure but I believe that is all the cut off does.

THE MP3 HAS NO GOVERNER...I HAD IT UP TO 124 TODAY COMING TO WORK...IT DEFINATLEY HAD ROOM I THINK TO GET UP TO 130 MAYBE...ANYONE KNOW WHAT MAZDA SAYS???

Had mine up to 132mph last night... going down hill gave me the last 5mph, I was at 127 right before. There is no governor on our (MP3's)cars.

THERE IS NO GOVERNER! Coming home on I-30 from the Dallas area, right between MacArthur and NW19th street, there is a lot of room to get up to 130 + (and I have!) providing there is no traffic! :D

Back