FS-ZE in the Works

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Well guys,
I may be getting a FS-ZE Engine to replace my blown one if things don't go right with Mazda. Here is the link to the site for those who don't know what the hell I am talking about:
FS-ZE Engine

They (Corksport) have a couple extras comming in. The ECU should support this engine with no problems. I also heard that supposedly our engines can withstand 12 psi stock! This is what the tech at Corksport informed me of. I will keep ya posted!

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Linuxninja ]

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Linuxninja ]

is it just me or does that look like it wont fit? the intake manifold looks like it goes quite a way back there. although, it might just be the angle of the picture. hopefully you can go ahead with this project...you might be the only known fs-ze powered protege in the US. it might actually be cheaper than fixing all the stuff thats broken too, wouldnt it?

Sweet! How do I ruin my engine so Mazda will put a ZE engine in mine?

kep0

There are 2 FS-ZE powered Proteges in the U.S. already. Myself (Jeremy DeHart) and my friend Jeremy Thomas have em. If you wanna see pics click on the link below. My car is the blue "SPORT 20" and his car is the black 3rd gen. The only pics of the engine are his newly installed FS-ZE. Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/firstgenprotege1/mapp2.htm

Jeremy DeHart

oh yeah...i almost forgot about your car. what's your impression of the engine? if you had a chance, would you have went turbo instead? do you plan on going turbo with the fs-ze?

Originally posted by Sport 20 Sedan:
<STRONG>kep0

There are 2 FS-ZE powered Proteges in the U.S. already. Myself (Jeremy DeHart) and my friend Jeremy Thomas have em. If you wanna see pics click on the link below. My car is the blue "SPORT 20" and his car is the black 3rd gen. The only pics of the engine are his newly installed FS-ZE. Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/firstgenprotege1/mapp2.htm

Jeremy DeHart</STRONG>

Sport 20,

You are the Man! I need to speak with you about what may be involved in swapin this thing out. By the way folks, Mazda would not be endorsing this project. This is just in case the damn warranty is not honored.

And why wouldn't it be honored? You have done nothing wrong. They better honor it ;)

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MP3-Owner ]

kep0

I like the engine. However I need the ECU as you may know. That is the main concern right now. I would turbo the engine (FS-ZE)if someone made a kit for it. A turbo for the P5 or MP3 would fit. Either that or I would turbo my stock engine which I still have.

Jeremy D.

Hey everyone,

At this point, I need all the Info that I can on the FS-ZE, and why I should/Shouldn't get it. Any info you could think of please post.

Thanks.

You might want to go with a programmable ignition and fuel delivery system to get the most out of the FS-ZE...costs more that way, but at least you won't have to try to track down the regular computer. Plus, it might actually make installation a little easier.

You mount everything while the motor is out side of the car and drop it in all at once.

Just a thought...This is one of the routes I was thinking about going in the future.

Pros and cons of the FS-ZE

Pros:

It bolts right in.
Reliability should be the same.
All engine accessories are the same.
Mods that fit MP3 will fit FS-ZE.
With ECU it should be a pretty strong engine.

Cons:
No ECU as of yet. Who knows when?
J-Spec ECU will not swap.
Won't get full potential from engine.
No more warranty.
Splicing and swapping of some connectors req.
"Must" run premuim gas (no biggie)
Runs rich.
High compression makes it harder to turbo if one is produced.
Swap costs around $4000.00 when totally complete.
If you get emmissions test will it pass?????
I don't know I haven't taken it to get tested yet.?!?!

Thats all I can think of at the moment. For Patrick once all is said and done you may be payin about $4k either way. Decide if you want your warranty.

Why I did it? I wanted more power than the 1.8L. I was financially more than able to do so. I wanted to be different. BUT I was and am still the guinea-pig for the whole thing. Is it worth it? I wont say no but I wont say yes either. Do I regret it? NO because I knew what I was getting into when I started it. My 2 cents for what its worth.

Good luck to all
Jeremy

Does anyone see any problem with the probable emissions problem that may be encountered in the future? :confused:

being that its a jdm motor, of course you're gonna have emissions problems. easily solved with some cash though...if you know what i mean.

Guys,

I talked with Corksport, and I will put my deposit down on Monday. After I pay for the engine, I still have to come up with $1500 + to get it installed!! ****! I want to be driving before the auto show, but now I don't know. :( I can buyt the engine next week, but that won't matter if I can't install it.

You might not even need to get it installed. The first major mechanical endeavor I undertook was swapping a B16A into my old civic. All I did was buy the factory service manual for my car and the donor engines car, set aside a weekend and a few six packs and had at it. The swap started friday night after work and was finished early monday morning. I realize that any service manual for an fsze equiped car is going to be in japanese, but from what I understand so far, the fsze is such a similar engine to what we currently have you might only need the service manual for the protege. The key is to ask as many questions as possible to those who have already done the swap and expect things to go wrong no matter HOW prepared you are....like needing just ONE more hose clamp at three in the morning. I spent alot of time on http://hybrid.honda-perf.org before I started the swap. You might want to check it out a little as I have a feeling that preparing to do a swap in any car has to be fairly similar (as far as checking and double checking all of your parts). Another thing I did was teardown and rebuild my new engine just to make sure everything was in top working order (I had a friend who had more mechanical experience help me with this part). Other than that I can't think of much else to tell you. If you think of any questions that might crossover just let me know alright?

Well guys,

I got my pricing for the engine. Supposedly it came out of a 99 Familia (J-spec Protege). It has 11,536 mi on it. It will cost me $1890 + $220 shipping to Texas, which comes out to $2110. I have been geting quotes from differnt shops around Arlington, and have prices ranging from $850+ to $1500 (Dealership). I am fixing to go wire the deposit to corksport now. Wish me luck folks! :D

Latest posts

Back