Mazda branding = yucky

:
2003 Protege5
I just wanted to get some opinions on this:

Mazda's branding scheme for vehicles is terrible.

Agree? Disagree?

What was the point in changing the 626 to the 6? I know it ends a long-standing brand line (323, 626, 929) that has finally died, but why not make it something that sticks in the head, like Protege? No one ever knows what I'm talking about when I tell them what Mazdas I have.

Me: "I have an MX-6 back there."
Them: "Oh yeah. I had a 626 back in college."
Me: "No... MX-6..."
Them: "RX-7?? Wow!"
Me: "No..."

Compare:
Mazda's 1993 brand line
B-Pickups
MPV
MX-3
MX-5 (Miata)
MX-6
RX-7
Navajo
Protege

Mazda's 2003 brand line
MX-5 (Miata)
RX-8
MPV
Tribute
B-Pickups
Protege (+Mazdaspeed)
Protege5

Are we making any progress here, or just making it more confusing?

Well, you're looking at things at a strange time. Here's what the lineup will look like in a couple of years...

3 (replaces Protege)
5 and/or Miata (MX-5 dropped from the Miata name, possibly replaced with "5" to make it a Mazda 5 Miata, or just Miata. Will be based on the RX-8 platform. There will be a coupe version. Coupe version could be called RX-7 if it is not just a "Miata Coupe".)
9 (replacement for the Millenia, might never show up)
MPV will be replaced with something looking similar to the Washu, no idea what the name could be.
Tribute might stick around with the same name, I haven't heard anything about it.
no more pickups

MAZDASPEED versions of every vehicle except the Tribute have been all but confirmed.

i like the number names. like 323, 626, etc... are kinda mercedes-ish.

thats y im putting a 323f badge in place of my protege5 one =D

it has a lot to do with automakers wanting to go alpha numerical on their names, I hear a article on it, and it seems the trend, just look at Acura, they finally got the integra turned into RSX.

NSX, RSX, MDX, RL, TL, CL, Damn!

kidkorrupt said:
i like the number names. like 323, 626, etc... are kinda mercedes-ish.

thats y im putting a 323f badge in place of my protege5 one =D

However the majority of the US does not like numbering schemes for the names of their cars. That is why in the US Mazda added names after the numbers.

However, they are switching back to the numbering scheme as the US now doesn't seem to mind so much.

Mazda tried the name and number naming scheme up here in the early to mid-'90s. We had the 626 Cronos, MX-6 Mystere, MX-3 Precedia and 929 Serenia in addition to the MX-5 Miata, which is the only one that made it south of the border with a name and number as well. For some reason they dropped the names for everything except the Miata.

Even in the current lineup they're tailoring the models for each market. In Canada the Mazda 6 lineup is GS-I4, GT-I4, GS-V6 and GT-V6, whereas I gather in the US there are only two models, the i and the s. Rumour has it that in Canada the 3 might still be called a Protege for name recognition reasons. They're probably less interested in making the lineup consistent name-wise than they are with what names are going to sell more cars.

Wow, those are some of the gayest names I've ever heard. I never would have bought an MX-6 if it was called the Mystere. Might as well drive a MX-6 Nutsack.

andy_guerriero said:
Wow, those are some of the gayest names I've ever heard. I never would have bought an MX-6 if it was called the Mystere. Might as well drive a MX-6 Nutsack.

::cry:: don't make fun of my ford nutsack, it's as fast as balls.

Personally I don't think the average joe can't remember numbers well. Whereas people remember names like camry, civic, protege etc.

Numbers get confusing quick for non auto enthusiasts. They get them mixed up.

Oh mazda makes that 262? Or the BMW 626?

I think they should stick to a name and keep it. Changing it just drives people nuts. The only advantage to changing it, and this is where Mazda comes in, is when a specific name has developed a somewhat bad rep or boring rep. The 626, while a nice car, has become known as a boring sedan, or in most cases, just forgotten. The accords, Camry's etc, even grandma knows what they are. Giving the 626 a new name, gives it a fresh start, at least in the eyes of MAzda.

IMHO - Numbers = bad and confusing

Names = easy to remember for the average joe.

Besides, there's only so many numbers. If every car company used numbers it would be insane to keep track of.

Next thing you'll see, oh look it's the honda T56.9

And the Chevy C3 or the Dodge N3 ( replacing cavy's, and neons)

newf said:
IMHO - Numbers = bad and confusing

Names = easy to remember for the average joe.
Besides, there's only so many numbers. If every car company used numbers it would be insane to keep track of.

Next thing you'll see, oh look it's the honda T56.9

And the Chevy C3 or the Dodge N3 ( replacing cavy's, and neons)

Too late, the Neon name is already gone, replaced by a number in Canada. Going with a number vs a name isn't really anything to do with what's easy to remember, it's what having a number represents. The average joe sees a number as being a European, up-market thing. That's why Acura dropped its names and went to numbers, to build recognition of the Acura name rather than the individual names of each of its cars.

Chrysler decided that the name Neon had become too cutesy for our market, for some reason, and that's why it's now the 2.0 SX.

andy_guerriero said:
- 626 Cronos, MX-6 Mystere, MX-3 Precedia and 929 Serenia in addition to the MX-5 Miata -

You know what, those names come from Japan and they have the corniest names for their cars. Sometimes they think that such names will carry well in the U.S. - NOT! What do you think about the "Demio" which is a Japan-only car?

In Japan, the Protege is now called the Familia, the 626 sibling in Japan is called the Capella and I think now they are calling the Miata the MX-5 Roadster. Only the Millenia is a decent current name IMHO that's in use in both the U.S. and Japan.

Anyway, I prefer numbers over corny names if they can't come with a good name. "Protege" isn't bad but the name does remind me of the Mitsu Mirage somehow...ugh.

Wasn't the Miata the 'Eunos Roadster" in Japan? Not anymore?

Don't forget that there is NO MENTION AT ALL of 'Neon' on the SRT-4 here in the US...

scapamouche said:

Well I was going on memory - mebbe you're right. Anyway, the way they pronounce "Roadster" over there, it can also sound like "Road Star" so I guess that's why they're sticking with it. Many of the names that they give their cars in Japan supposedly sound cool when pronounced in Japanese.

Ford is also planning to give Mazda a full-size pickup on the F-150 frame in the near future. Don't know what that will be called.

I kinda like the numbering scheme...if it is uniform.

The problem is that the Protege5 doesn't fit into that scheme...unless it will be called the 3.5 or something when they switch over to the '3' name. More than one number is required I think.

scapamouche said:

Well I was going on memory - mebbe you're right. Anyway, the way they pronounce "Roadster" over there, it can also sound like "Road Star" so I guess that's why they're sticking with it. Many of the names that they give their cars in Japan supposedly sound cool when pronounced in Japanese.

andy_guerriero said:
(rofl)
(rofl)
(rofl)
That is the funniest s*** I have heard all year!!!!!

chuyler1 said:
Ford is also planning to give Mazda a full-size pickup on the F-150 frame in the near future. Don't know what that will be called.
As long as it has a 3-rotor engine, I'll buy it. :D

Back