~180 HP in 2 Weeks?

NC_MP3

Well, I am about to start modding my car. Sold my rims and got a fat pay check last week, so I have about $2500 to go ahead and start modding my MP3. Here is the shopping list:

FS-ZE Intake Cam
Mazdaspeed Exhaust Cam
FS-ZE Pistons (not sure yet, waiting for a reply on boring of the block)
Apex N1 Muffler and custom exhaust from the header back, possibly with no cat
MHP CAI
Fuel Pressure Regulator
AFC

Just waiting on a reply from corksport about the cams and pistons and whether not they will all bolt right in. If I have any money left I will get some coil overs and maybe a nitrous kit, but I am hoping to get 180 HP with the above mods, will try and get to a dyno. Wish I could dyno the car as I add each part, but I don't have the time or money hehe. Will keep you updated though.

Wish me luck.

Awesome...But what wheels are you rolling on right now? Did you consider getting the headers instead of the pistons? Just asking, great choice for a first step in your project. Wich you luck :D

I have the stock ones back on, gonna keep them until next year, when I get the WW kit. Gonna get some black Vertex rims, dunno model name.

I would love to get a header, but the only one I have seen is at corksport, for like $739. Not sure if the header at mazdamotorsports will work or not cause it says it is for a 626 or MX6. If you know of an affordable header lemme know :)

OK, first update:

Here is the list, barring any bad news from Corksport or Mazdamotorsports about pistons or cams.

FS-ZE Intake Cam
Mazdaspeed Exhaust Cam
FS-ZE Pistons
Apex N1 Muffler
Custom Cat Back Exhaust
MHP CAI
MSD Fuel Pressure Regulator
MSD Electric Fuel Pump
Apexi S-AFC

All that comes to about $1400. Gonna call around tomorrow and check on installation. I am thinking about $1000 for everything installed, maybe a lil more.

Get paid Fri, so gonna order everything on Fri or Sat. As soon as it all gets in I will send it to the shop and let them install and tune it. Would do it myself but I don't have the time and am not that confident on working on the Mazda engine, if it were a Honda I would jump all over it hehe.

UPDATE:

Called around today and got some install prices. Called 2 different places.

Price on cam install: $250 and $360 One place said $250 flat, other place said they go by the dealer's labor time, called Mazda dealer, 5.5 hours to change both cams, $65 an hour, you do the math :)

So I think I am go for cams.

Piston Install: ALOT hehe. I thought it might be. Would do it myself but I don't have the time and would rather leave it to a pro. They said like $800 to $1000. I will wait until someone makes forged pistons, better left alone for now.

So no go on pistons.

So updated list:
FS-ZE Intake Cam
Mazdaspeed Exhaust Cam
Apex N1 Muffler
Custom Cat Back Exhaust
MHP CAI
MSD Fuel Pressure Regulator
Apexi S-AFC

Gonna hold off on the fuel pump.

Hoping to still get ~170 with those mods. Here is what I think, lemme know if you think different on some of them.

Intake Cam: ~8 HP
Exhaust Cam: ~8 HP
Exhaust System: ~5 HP
Intake: ~10 HP
AFC and Regulator w/ tuning: ~10 HP

Comes up to 181 HP, I think with tuning and a lil hope, I can still reach 180 :)

Hacking away at the exhaust, via the headers is the only way (aside from nitrous) any of us is going to get anywhere near 180 to the wheels. They mention this on Racing Beats website. "the MP3's exhaust manifold was the main power robbing source." MP3Ben has already supplied us with a few numbers. "Dyno Results" After you read his results, you'll see that he lost 18% of the horsepower though the tranny, which brought down 114hp. Now getting 180hp at the crank and then subtracting 18% will bring you to 147.6whp. Unfortunately, with the mods you've listed, is will be highly unlikely that you'll get 180 at the crank. Not without removing the cataytic converter in the exhaust manifold. Just my realistic .02 cents. And I'm not trying to bash you at all NC, just stating some numbers.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Awe man, I can get there no problem :) OK, Base whp is 114. You said I need 147.8, we'll call it 148, whp to be at about 180 at the crank. That means I only need a 34 whp gain. 148-114=34 Lets look at the list.

FS-ZE Intake Cam: I called Corksport today. I was told this cam gives about 10 whp.

Mazdaspeed exhaust cam: He didn't know the HP gain on this, but it should be about the same, maybe a lil less, so we will say 8 whp.

Apexi Muffler with custom cat back exhaust: I am still thinking on this one, but think I will go with a high flow cat and custom cat back. Should be good for 5 whp or more.

MHP CAI: CAI's can add as much as 10 HP, or as little as nothing hehe. The Injen CAI for my 2000 Eclipse I used to have added 12 whp, proven. So we will say 5 whp for now.

Apexi S-AFC and Fuel Pressure Regulator: On this I dunno. A friend of mine has an SI with the Apexi Vtec/AFC. He was able to drop from about a 9.9 to a 9.7 in the 1/8th just by making adjustments on the AFC. 2/10's in the 1/8 is good for 10 whp I would say :)

So lets see, add all that up and you get 38 whp, which would take me past my 148 whp goal.

Now I could be wrong on some of this and I probably am, only getting the parts on and doing some runs will shed some light on it.

Like I said, I would love to dyno the car as I add each part, but I don't have access to a dyno or the time or the $$. I will judge the HP gains by 1/8th times and racing others in my car club, and by the seat of my pants hehe.

Am ordering all the parts on Fri or Sat. The exhaust cam won't be in till the 20th, so it may be a week or 2 but I will get them all on and let you guys know.

Thanks on the header info btw. I would LOVE to get a header. The guy at corksport said the Bosal header for the MX-6 should work with some modifications, but gonna hold off on it for now. I am thinking a good header will give us 10-14 whp easy. Hell I might order the header anyway and try it :)

Legacy GTR:

That's actually right, they FS-ZE intake is supposed to boost 12 and the exhaust only did about 5 or 6.

The sources, intake is from Mazda Motorsports, and I saw the 5 or 6 from the MAzdaspeed exhaust cam on another forum about the same topic.

Think he is talking about 10 on the CAI and 5 on the Apexi Muffler w/ custom exhaust. Only saying 5 on the exhaust cause the biggest power robber is the cat thats built into the header. There is 1 on the header and another further down the pipe. I will be getting exhaust from the header back, and I don't think I will be able to get rid of the cat at the header without a new header, so I am only saying about 5 HP.

UPDATE:

Parts ordered, prices with S&H:
Apexi N1 muffler 115mm tip, $222.98 Nopi.com
MHP CAI, $363.61 mhptuning.com
Apexi S-AFC, $343.36 optauto.com

Both Corksport and Tripoint don't have online ordering, so will order cams and shifter tomorrow. Still debating on fuel pressure regulator. Getting high flow cat from HP Imports, the place doing my exhaust, $100.

Don't think I am gonna hit 180 hp. 170 maybe, but right now hoping to get 160-165.

Intake Cam: ~10 HP
Exhaust Cam: ~5 HP
Exhaust System: ~5 HP
Intake: ~5 HP
AFC w/ tuning: ~5 HP

Maybe I can hit those numbers.

Well, I hope you reach your goal. I still think 160-165 to the wheels may be a bit overly optomistic with out removing the cat in the header :eek:. Changing a muffler does little to nothing to your HP, it does change your sound and give a better look. :D Removing the cat should do you some good. Good luck man, please post the Dyno sheets once you get the puppy tuned.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Oh no, I am not talking 160-165 @ the wheels, talking at the engine. We have 114 whp, so hoping to get close to 140 whp with all this.

UPDATE:
Ordered the following today:
Short Throw Shifter $139.95
Tripoint Clutch! $329.95
S&H for those 2 $15.00

Total for today: $484.90

Running Total: $1414.85

Ordering cams and maybe flywheel today.

Well, I'm glad to see somone actually ordering the parts. I would love to start modding, but I have a ton of bills to recover from. I'm thinking the header would be in my stage 1 of mods. Good shi* man. Hope you like the cams.

so tri point has a clutch out for the mp3? i know they had the short throw shifter i just didnt know if it was worth getting. how much shorter is it???

UPDATE:

Ordered the cams today.
FS-ZE Intake cam $168
Mazdaspeed Exhaust cam $142
S&H $18

Total: $328

Only thing left is the flywheel. Tripoint has an aluminum flywheel coming out in 7-10 days, price to be around $349.

As soon as I get all the parts in I will get them installed and get my exhaust work done.

Total so far: $1742.85

Expected HP gains: 35-40
Expected Fun Level Increase: 3X :)

Really happy about the clutch and flywheel, think they are gonna work out great and make a very fun car.

Back