Price of turbo..

Puccio

It recently came up in a discussion about the turbo on an MP3. My question is, to all who might know or who may be helping in the making of, how much are we looking to spend on this? This is going to be somewhat of a major deciding factor for me on if I'm going to even be keeping my MP3. It's too slow for my tastes. I need more speed. Also for any who know, how far off is it looking in a time-frame sense?

if any particular company comes out with a turbo kit for the protege then it will probably cost at least $2000. But you could always buy a T3 turbo and get a custom manifold made. That would cost about $450 at a decent exhaust shop, and the turbo would cost like 100 bux. Then you'd need all the necessary s*** to get it working, like fpr, fuel pump, fuel computer, IC and IC piping, bov, boost controller, and gauges. That all would cost another $1000-1500 depending on if you get cheap or name brand stuff. You would still need some of that if they came out with a turbo kit :(. Usually turbo kits only come with the manifold, turbo, and sometimes an intercooler with piping. you still will need a bunch of fuel mapping s*** to get it to work.

for $2000 bucks, you must be buying a turbo at pep boys or something
peplogo.txt

Originally posted by YellowMP3#1237:
<STRONG>if any particular company comes out with a turbo kit for the protege then it will probably cost at least $2000. But you could always buy a T3 turbo and get a custom manifold made. That would cost about $450 at a decent exhaust shop, and the turbo would cost like 100 bux. Then you'd need all the necessary s*** to get it working, like fpr, fuel pump, fuel computer, IC and IC piping, bov, boost controller, and gauges. That all would cost another $1000-1500 depending on if you get cheap or name brand stuff. You would still need some of that if they came out with a turbo kit :(. Usually turbo kits only come with the manifold, turbo, and sometimes an intercooler with piping. you still will need a bunch of fuel mapping s*** to get it to work.</STRONG>

Wow, I'd like to know where exactly you got your pricing from. And what brand of parts are you speaking of. There is now way you're gonna find a decent sized turbo for anywhere near $100 and especially not a T3, furthermore a T3 would be too much for our car, you'd have a bit more lag than desired aswell, depending on what trim the turbo is, the size of the turbine and exhaust housings and how you have the turbo system setup.

As for the pricing of an exhaust manifold, you'll probaby end up spending more than $450 and if you do spend $450, you may want to question the strength and quality of it. For an good Intercooler and piping, expext to spend about $1000.

When it's all said and done, depending on if the parts you buy are new or used, expect to spend at least $3500 just for the hardware. And that would be for good quality, new hardware at that. I wouldn't recommend buying used turbo parts....not ever. Unless you know a great deal about the workings of a turbo system.

I guess what I've been trying to say for the longest time about building a turbo for our MP3's.....It ain't gonna be cheap. Once your car is turbo's you should be looking the run the turbo efficiently, which mean spending more money to tune it. Building turbo parts for a car that doesn't have any requires some no how and time. Unless you have a larger company like XS Engineering, GReddy (not likely to happen) doing the research. Just my .02 cents..

Originally posted by APEXistud:
<STRONG>There is now way you're gonna find a decent sized turbo for anywhere near $100 and especially not a T3......</STRONG>

Actually, I was wrong. You can buy a turbo for $100 dollars. But it won't have the tubine or compress wheel. :D teehee

Apexistud basically hit the nail on the head. One thing that a lot of people don't understand when it comes to turbos is that "you always spend more than you expext at the beginning." Ask 95% of the people that go turbo!!

People hear the word turbo kit and they somehow think that it includes everything you need for your car to run properly. I'm sorry folks, but I wish the world was that simple.

Most kits don't account for things like clutch or guages or knock sensing and a lot of them don't account for things like added fuel enrichment in the proper way. Then, there are other optional components like TT or EBC (instead of MBC).

Bottom line, expect $3500 to be a starting price for an incomplete kit guys.

Latest posts

Back