High compression & Nitrous

I'm going to be coming into some money in June and will pretty much be putting all of it into performance parts. (Finally!) I'm looking to get the following installed pretty much at the same time: MSD ignition, tri-point engineering flywheel, ACT clutch, FS-ZE intake cam, Mazdaspeed exhaust cam and high compression pistons, APEXi S-AFC, Bosal MX-6 header and Federal Exhaust, nitrous (what company I'm not yet sure)and injectors,regulator,pump,and rail if necessary. I have a few questions. Can the car safely handle 55hp shots over and over again with these mods? Are the Mazdaspeed pistons forged? Even if they are, I doubt the connecting rods would last.
I'm not willing to sacrifice the high compression just to be able to use nitrous here and there. So is there any place I can get forged high compression pistons and connecting rods for the MP3? Any specifics that you people could give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Jon

If you're looking to take your car to DRAG races then Nitrous is definately the way to go, but for around town mashing or autocross type of driving nitrous is useless. The exhaust might not do much for your car unless you elimate the cats. As for forged pistons....there are none out and it wouldn't be economical to purse them either. If your going to install the pistons, you should consider port & polishing the head and some other major internal stuff. I'll be making a post later talking about the other things I've been thinking about, but they're not cheap. :D

APEXistud, the Bosal header (MX-6 93-95 4 cyl) gets rid of the first cat and the Federal Exhaust replaces the second. (Oh yeah!) Anyway, I know what your saying about using nitrous for drag races and the strip. Since I'm not going to have the money for turbo until next year, I just wanted something to hold off all my friends and enemies (with boosted/modified civics)until then. Until I can do it safely I just won't do it at all. Porting and polishing the head and throttle body are starting to sound real good. Damn I'm gonna be broke. But still, If anyone knows how I can get forged pistons and connecting rods please let me know. Or any information on other options that I may have. Thanks a lot, Jon :)

I think you can get forged rods and pistons fdrom eagle or crower. Your going to have to send your original ones in though, so expect some down time. Looks like your gonna spend some serious bucks there, Did you look into turbo? You practically will be spending the same amount of money with much greater results.

If you just want to do these things for now and money is not an issue, the port and polish and forged stuff will be great for forced induction. But high compression is bad with turbo and the header will be a waste of money since you will be replacing it with a turbo manifold.
Just my 2 cents ;)

Yeah I could spend around the same amount of money for a turbo, but I'm going to wait for a "bolt-on" kit. One that has been extensively tested on our vehicle. Call me paranoid, but I just can't risk it. Besides, most of the parts I'm going to get will work with the turbo, and some are almost necessary. (Fuel system upgrades, ignition, clutch, etc.) I look at it as building the engine up for turbo.
But hey, come June there may be some kits out and I'll be spending my money on one as well as some related goodies. (8.5:1 forged pistons and rods, sleeves, boost controller, custom 3" exhaust, hehe) Or maybe there will be a centrifical supercharger and intercooler kit out and I might be able to keep the header and exhaust.(Hello? Vortech Engineering are you listening?!) Either way you look at it I'll be broke. Yes, broke...broke but FAST! Until then all I can do is fantisize and get my ass handed to me during a race. (That is until we get to a jug handle! ZOOM-ZOOM!) Thanks for your info guys, Jon. :)

hey jon where in nj are u from i live right on the river. i work over in jersey and have seen a few mp3's??

Hehe - Jug Handles. Damn, I hate driving in Jersey - don't the roadway planners trust you all to make real left turns?

Just playing - especially 'cause they are fun with a solid-handling car.

Paulmp3222, I live right off of exit 109 on the Garden State Parkway, in Tinton Falls. I doubt you saw me considering there are plenty of MP3s around in Jersey. (I have two in my town alone not counting the one for sale at the local Mazda dealer! Damnit!) Oh well, I'm the only one with mods so far and that sets me apart.
Hihoslva, no they don't trust us to make left hand turns....and rightfully so! I'm willing to endure the jug handles because it keeps the incompitents from killing anymore people than they already have! Don't get me started. Jersey drivers suck. Well, a whole lot of them do anyway. :mad:

Back