AutoExpress UK article on new Mazda3

NealMcD

Here's the complete article. Unfortunately it had no photos.

"New 3 Breaks Free... But It's Really A Focus

It has the looks of a Mazda on the outside, but underneath the new 3 is a Ford Focus. The Japanese firm's engineers have been busy putting the finishing touches to the new hatch. Due on sale in Britain in the autumn, exclusive pictures of the car in the current issue of Auto Express magazine - in both four and five-door guise - show how it will appear in the showrooms.

Even at first glance, the newcomer is instantly recognisable as a Mazda. However, it's not as daring as some enthusiasts had expected, given the striking looks of the RX and the 6 - although it does make more of an impression than the 323 it replaces. The teardrop headlights are shared with the 6, while the five-corner corporate grille also makes an appearance. Note how its shape is re- flected in the styling of the rear window. And it's the back end that features the most interesting part of the design, with the angular C-pillar and high waistline.

Based on the next-generation Focus, hatchback and saloon models will be available. Set to rival the likes of VW's Golf and Bora, bosses have high expectations for both. Power will come from a diverse range of engines, although most of the petrol variants will be carried over from the 323. The diesel is likely to be the pick of the bunch. Entry-level cars will come with a 72bhp 1.3-litre engine, while 98bhp 1.6 and 131bhp 2.0-litre versions will also be available. The oil-burner will come from Ford in the form of the punchy TDCi unit found in the Focus.

The two cars join the rejuvenated Mazda line-up, but there's more to come. The firm is currently developing a replacement for the MX-5 roadster, the last of the previous-generation models remaining in the stable. In line with the firm's 'zoom- zoom' design

philosophy, the new 3 has been developed with driver involvement in mind. Insiders say the car will be taken to another level, and with under-pinnings coming from the excellent-handling Focus, that's entirely possible.

A revamped version of the blue oval car - the UK's monthly best-seller for nearly three years straight - is due next year, and it's not a project Ford is taking lightly. The styling will be a development of the current model's looks, but more conservative lines are expected. Unlike Mazda, Ford will offer a three-door, estate and mini-MPV, along with the four and five-door. The same platform will also underpin Volvo's four-wheel-drive V50, indicating there's potential to feed power to all wheels on the Mazda 3. This could be of use in a high-performance MPS version, which would become a flagship model.

Prices for the 3 are expected to remain in line with those of the 323, and Mazda hopes that a higher quality interior and improved driver enjoyment will bring sales up to the levels of its major competitors."

-Neal

a very promising platform for the 3, what with the possible AWD configuration and even better handling than the current Protege

come on Mazda, make these dreams come true!

Hey,

The eurpeon Ford Focus suspension is different from the american version already. The europe focus is much like the current protege. They did not have recall on their suspension like the us focus. Also in the states we will get the 2.3 liter and the bottom of the line model will have the 2.0 which may be the same motor as the new miata. RIP BP MOTOR. AWD will kick ass.

when i say protege and eurpean focus similarites I am talking about suspension not looks or motors sorry had to clear it up before I get my head cut off.

mazda3a.jpg

mazda3b.jpg

In case the pictures dont show up here are the links:
http://members.chello.nl/mel.rozeboom/overig/mazda3a.jpg
http://members.chello.nl/mel.rozeboom/overig/mazda3b.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason the focus is the best seller in the UK is because Colin McRey drives it for rally. The car isn't that fantastic.

And McRae is driving a Citroen (or a Peugeot) this year.
Still, you must admit that Ralley Focus is pretty badass.
Heck, for a while I was considering an SVT!

:rolleyes:

-Neal

Photoshop job. Not even a particularly good one. The body is a Jetta with chopped 6 headlights and hood fascia. The rear is straight off the RX-8. This may offer hints to how the actual cars will look, but they aren't the real McCoy.

Well, whether is is p'shop'd or not I don't know. But looking at the spy shots posted earlier, where the car is half coverd in a mask, the lines of the car, the headlights, and tails, do match that car.

So, I'd say this is pretty damn close

I guess will all know in a few weeks.

Back