California Mp3 or P5--> Tri-point engineering Turbo

Razhael

anyway, once again, here i am, researching, got a story or 2 about dodge neons, so in the middle of my HP sadness, i decide to call tri-point engineering.
got to talk with some guy that i already forgot the name, seems like he was not the main peep in charge because i asked what mp3 applications did they have and was always "not sure".

Then i asked the whole turbo stuff. Gladly he told me they sure can do it, and that they have done that in the past. I didnt ask about numbers either for price or performance, but he told me there was somebody (main peep in tripoint) already working on that. Now, some of u will say, whats the advantage of this?
1. They have 2.0 ES proteges in their place, some heavy modified, some almost stock.
This means, if theres somebody in California, with then money for a deposit on a turbo, he told me that it would take around a month r two (with deposit on deal) to do the stuff, and then install it to the car of the customer to verify everything fits correctly.

At least this is what i understood, seems to me as an alternative to the Bell system, so if anyone in California close to this guys can get in touch with them and get more specific info it would be greatly appreciated! :D

address:
Canoga Park, California
phone 818-348-5385
fax 818-348-3823

if money wasnt an issue id gladly go and volunteer...but alas...money is always an issue

Ok, I just talked to Tri-Point since they're in my area. They said they're already planning on developing a turbo for the MP3 (being that they have 2 for race cars and 1 for a club car) - they had a meeting about it this morning. But no hard ETA right now.

Anyhow, the only thing right now is TIME (just like all places). The gentleman said between races and whatnot, this is something they want to do. However, one thing he wants is to gague demand. There's also the issue of the deposit.

I gave the gentleman the address to this site and I told him to take a look here at the interest.

So basically, we have a few issues at hand:

1) Deposit - no prob, i can take care of THE WHOLE THING since I'm local and I'm serious about this. He said an avg kit will cost from 3-5k installed.

2) Demand - perhaps if someone can post the list of others interested from one of the other threads, I'd be happy to forward that to them.

3) Car? - not a problem, they already have MP3's, so noone needs to donate one to the cause.

4) Time - not sure how long it'll take to develop one.

Tri-Point Engineering
818-348-5385
Southern California - Canoga Park

I didn't speak to Craig, but I was told he was the one to speak with.

I'm going to give Craig a call tomorrow to speak to him about this, but honestly, I don't know crap about specs, etc. So maybe it'd be best for someone in the know to talk to him about it. I'll be out of town until Mon, but I'll keep you guys posted when I get more info.

Tony

once we determine the following things:

1) COST

2) TIME

3) turbo output

we can decide on whether to go with BEGI or TriPoint

IMHO, BEGI was looking good, but TriPoint does have more experience with Mazdas. Plus seeing as how the deposit will be taken care of...TriPoint just looks THAT much more appealing. But that's just my .02

oh yeah...guys...if you're interested in this turbo please add yourself to the list...i know the ones interested in the BEGI turbo will be interested in this one too, but i dont want to speak on their behalf, so please add yourself.

TriPoint turbo list:
kep0
MP3PO
Razael

so guys...hurry and add yourself
since MP3PO is graciously offering to take the deposit...that means we can get a turbo built faster than having to raise $5000 for a BEGI.

If money wasn't an issue, my car would have been dropped of at XS Engineering as soon as I hit 1000 miles. :D They have done a couple of other custom set ups. That red turbo Celica GT-S, the 500 HP Lexus IS and they've done quite a few GS 430's. So I'd like to think they're capable of doing quality custom setups. ;)

3-5k!? :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats a bit pricey. But nonetheless in about a year or so I would definitely buy one. Hopefully they understand that the ES and P5 will also be interested!

Anyhow, say for 7psi boost, what would we need to upgrade on our car other than header and exhaust? Would forged pistons, clutch be necessary at the level of boost? Will these be in the kit (which would explain price)? Lots of questions, someone help!!! :D

DooMer_MP3

exhaust, clutch, and i think thats it. our pistons compression seems right for the turbo, and theres no need for headers when u get the exhaust manifold from the turbo.

also, 3-5k is not pricey for a turbo with an intercooler (most hondas turbo kits come without it) and besides that price already includes installation.

Tri-point's race cars are based off the ES with an up-dated front end, off the Protege/MP3. There motors are specially built for them from a company in Georgia, I think...

But as far as a place to go for a turbo, and other parts, they would be the ones because THEY have developed the race cars.

Plus Tri-point has been doing things with Mazdas for a long time. And they were suggested to me by a very reliable source.

I would be interested in a turbo from Tri-point. I would really like one of their race motors, but I'll settle for a turbo.

Does anyone know if any of the kits that might be coming to the market are smog legal? Also, does anyone know if Jackson Racing has taken a look at the mp3 or the p5 as a potential candidate?

BEGI is smog legal, and theres currently no kit coming out that we know of. also, i believe jackson racing already said no to our cars

Ok, hey guys, just got back from vegas. I had a chat with Craig and honestly, I don't really have much new information. Basically, I went over the same stuff as I did with the other guy, but he said he had to look into parts, etc. first and he'd get back to me sometime this week. (meaning, if I don't hear from him by Thurs, I'll be putting in another call to drop him a courtesy reminder that we're still interested).

We still haven't talked about performance boost by the kit since there are no hard details on it, but I'm sure more of that will come after he gets some time to research this thing.

In regards to price, he said it'd probably be more around 3-4k, but it depends on how difficult it would be to do the whole job. As for getting a quantity discount, that would depend on the difficulty of the job and the price of the parts. Meaning, realistically, you can only charge so much for a turbo kit before people won't buy it. So if their costs + markup = a narrow margin compared to what they think people will pay for a turbo kit, they may not be able to offer much in the form of a discount. But if designing the kit is pretty economical, there may be room for bargaining.

But, on the bright side for those of you out there that can't afford it right now, once I get the kit done on my car, they said they'd be offering it as a "standard" kit that you could order (since the designing work would already have been done).

So, sorry it's not much of an update, but hopefully I'll have more hard details to offer by Thursday or so.

If you have any questions you'd like me to ask, feel free and email me @ xaosgames@yahoo.com and i'll try my best to document the answers. Like I said before, in the grand scheme of things, I'm only about 15% car-literate, so keep that in mind if you want me to ask a very technical question.

Tony
xaosgames@yahoo.com

so basically they ARE going to build one for your car basically...and it will be available after that. the only things still in the dark are the OUTPUT and PRICE, am i correct?

keep us posted

Provided that the performance specs look pretty good, yes, I'm going to move forward with this. And to the best of my knowledge, it should be available after that.

So basically, to answer your question, yes, you are correct.

I was just wondering if anyone else might want to get in to see if we can get a group deal. :)

if the turbo final output is good (more than 200hp) im sure to get it, besides, just got some bright news for my financial situation next year! :)

so count me in!

by the way, did u ask them if theres any possible way to carb the system?

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Razhael ]

id definitely be interested if the output was 200+HP. although, a group deal won't really get us much discount...maybe a hundred or so cut off price. i just want a turbo built ( and available ) as soon as possible, and w/o the demands that BEGI has.

Back