A quik question about the MHP short ram!

mp3_559

Any one heard anything about the mhp short ram air intake is it easy to install any problems does any one know if it comes in yellow or is it just red?

It should not be like installing the CAI, but i believe it would not work properly with our car cause it only draws hot air, not cold like it should.

It will probably work fine, but you'll start running real rich due to the intake pulling the hot air. The ECU won't know what the hell is going on. CAI will be fine, just have to spend a little more for it.

Consider the AEM Short Ram. Its about $120 cheaper than the MHP CAI and sits in almost the same spot as the CAI. As for running rich, the stock intake box sits right behind the radiator so I don't really see how a Short Ram could actually be worse. I plan on going with AEM in the spring.

DooMer_MP3

By the way, check out some pics of the AEM installed on a Protege MP3 for yourself!

http://photos.yahoo.com/mp3owner

Looks pretty good! Sorry, but I trust AEM on this issue a heck of a lot more than the folks at MHP. No offense to MHP, but AEM has been around for a long time.

DooMer_MP3

The car could possibly run rich due to the intake only ingesting hot air. Where as with the factory intake & resonator, you'd be getting some what of cooler air flow. Assuming that the big resonator above the radiator, just under the hood actually pulls in cooler air from the front of the car. According to Jim Merderer, the test engineer that worked with the MP3, that was the main problem with the short ram intakes, they tweakout the sensor and give wierd signals to the ECU. I'm assuming we'd run rich, because that's the usual thing that happens with most cars I've dealt with.

Running rich isn't neccesarily bad, introduce more spark and you'll probably get more power.

Doomer, is that your car w/ the aem or you're planning on buying one? if you have or plannind what's the aem part number so i can see how much it cost? thanks

"Zoom Zomm Zoom"

is that pic of that intake on a P5 or a MP3....it looks like a P5 because of the headlights and the strut tower bar being red...isnt that yellow on all MP3's
jus wonderin-

Latest posts

Back