A question for the MP3 pro's...

311Mazda

Do you guys know if the MP3 and P5 have the same wheel wells? That is to say if they can fit the same size rims/tires. I really dont' mind the stock one's on my P5 but I would love some wider tires. Any info would be great! :D

OK, on my MP3 I am running stock Protege5 wheels for winter. Technically, that's a downsize so there should be no rubbing problems or anything like that. But on the MP3 the wheel offset is slightly different (so I hear) because of the aftermarket struts and so the stock Pro5 wheels may actually rub the strut (that is bad). I've experienced it a few times when not slowing too much for a speed bump, but not when normally driving or cornering. Sometimes I am not sure if it's the darned thunking in the rear end that everyone experiences, but I've had it happen once or twice in the front too.

I'm going to take the wheels off and inspect them to see if they are indeed scratched from rubbing the strut, but I'm just too lazy right now. :D

That was just some background for MP3 owners wanting to do the same. Now, to answer your question about the Pro5, the wheels wells should be identical except for the fact that the MP3 struts are a bit larger, so the wheel offset would be slightly different for the MP3. But, noting that, I believe (correct me if I am wrong) logically then, anything that would fit on the MP3 should fit on the Protege5, though not necessarily the other way around. :rolleyes:

FYI also: A friend in a Pro5 runs 18 inch rims with 40 profile tires, and it rubs when there's a full load in his car. I'd say 17-45 would probably be OK as long as they're not too wide...

I don't know about the 16 inch wheels but I have run 225/50-15 tires on 7x15 inch Fittipaldi wheels in an autocross. They did not rub any where that I could find.

Michael

Speaking of wheel offset. What exactly is our wheel offset on the MP3? Been trying to find out for a few days.

Our wheel off set is 40. I know because I just ordered rims for the winter. You can find this out at discounttiredirect.com
:D

I am sooooooooooo pissed off at GReddy right now. I called on Monday and all of the techs were at a car show so i spoke w/someone else. When i told him about what the tech told me (50+ people for turbo kits) he laughed. he then asked me the name of the tech i spoke with so he could get him fired. he informed me that greddy is not interested in making a turbo kit for the MP3, even if we do have 50 people on a list. I just wanna say to everyone that im sorry about the bad news, but i did try to hook everyone up. i guess we need to look elsewhere. any suggestions? keep the list going b/c we can refer to it when needed.
ill see ya guys,
kflyfshr7

Hey thanks for all the info guys, I am hopeing to get something along the dimentions of 16 or 17 inch, by 7 inch. I would like to get 8 but I think that would be too wide. Nothing too flashy or expencive, but something that will disgunigsh my car and add some performance.
Sorry to hear about the bad news kfly, seems whoever that was at greddy was playing a trick or something. Oh well, people can always custom turbo. I mean if you want speed your gonna have to pay one way or another. :rolleyes:

Damn, I didn't mean to ask the offset, I meant bolt pattern 5*114 or 5*100? TIA (thanks in advance)

8" is way to wide, expect to do some fender rolling if you lower the car. Not only that, but think about the extra drag you are putting on the power handicapped engine as it is. Not enough of a handling increase to compensate for the lack of acceleration you will have if you ask me.

A set of 17 X 7.5" shod with 225/45 rubber should be adequate for your cars.

The MP3 wheels are a 5x114 bolt pattern with a 55mm offset. The offset is stamped on the back of the wheel so I know this is correct. The 40mm offset of your winter tires may be too low depending on their width Tony.

Originally Posted by subywan-kenobi:
A set of 17 X 7.5" shod with 225/45 rubber should be adequate for your cars.

Do not go with that combo. My 18's had 225/40's on it, and scrubbed like hell. I would go with 17 x 7 with 215/45's or 18 x 7 with 215/45's. Wasn't the diameter of the wheel, was the width. If my 18's had been an inch narrower, they would have worked. They scrape on the lip that is up under the rear fenders, causing the lip to cut into the tire.

Hey guy's I have test fit many wheels onto the MP3 And MP5 It is all in my listing in family photo's check it out!
18x8 will work but only with 225/35/18 tires and an offset of +45 and up any lower offset and the lips will have to be rolled in the rear! and the struts will only rub the tires if the tire is too tall to clear the strut perch. so if you keep the tire diameter the same and only change width and offset you will be fine.

Yeah, I figured you could play with the offset a lil and make 18's work. Did you put any weight in the car and drive it around? My 18's were fine until I put someone in the car with me hehe.

Thank you apex. but let me add that I don't just work at one! I run one. And will possibly own one soon! so remember boys and girls wheels can dramatically improve the looks of any car! ;)

I hope that didn't sound too cocky!
it wasn't meant to! :D

Back