BigBen Performance Parts!!!

big_ben

Contributor
Well, thanks to the teachings of Mike(a.k.a. snowmongoose), I have just finished building my CAI. It was actually pretty easy. It took about a half a day to do it. I haven't painted it yet though. I'm going to paint it red to match everything else, maybe yellow though. You all will have to tell me what you think about the colors. I haven't taken pics yet. I'll do it tomarrow. In all it cost me a total of $63 for the mandrel bent tubes(JC Whittney), $3 each for the rubber sleeves(4 total, until I get one weld done, then 3), $10 for the carbon cutting disk to put on my drill. I already had the filter. But I'm planning on buying a bypass filter for it. That is a total of $85 for a true cold air intake. And it looks as good as the name brands. Just w/o the pretty name Injen or MHP on it. I think I'm going to put a racing beat sticker on it though. I'll post the pics of it tomarrow. It sounds bad ass!!! :D

Alright everyone, here are my intake pics. It isn't done yet, almost though. All I have to do now is get the tube that comes out of the throttle body welded to the tube that goes by the battery tray. Then make a braket to hold it more secure. And get a nipple for the tube that comes out of the head welded on. Oh yeah and paint it. Everyone let me know what color I should paint it. Red with yellow Racing Beat sticker, or yellow with red sticker. Let me know. Here are the pics, they are toward the end. You can follow from the first pic to the end to see my engine progress. The final product looks sweet. I'm so proud of my baby. Anyway, enough babbling, here they are. Enjoy!
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/big_ben2121/lst?&.dir=/My+Engine+in+Progress&.src=ph&.view=t

I almost forgot about you Chris. The tubes are 2.5". I figured I'd go with the same size as the throttle body. The engineers made it that size for a reason. Any bigger and I think you would lose some torque. Although 2.75" might be o.k. Your choice. :D

I wish I could get my thoughts together. What do all of you think about all my plastics painted red. I think it looks good. All it is is one coat of primer to give it someting to stick to, and two coats red.

where is the air temp sensor? im thinking of going custom cai too but im not sure how to place everything

I'm going to have to drill a hole for that too. It runs fine w/o it but to be on the safe side I'm going to put it in anyway. It probably just helps the fuel economy, I'm not sure though.

that is sweet!!! where did you get the rubber sleeve connecters things at?? how much were they. and what is the address to racing beat and what did you say to get the stickers those are tight!! and i like the parts of your engine painted its phat. keep up the good work. how do you like the intake i have mhp's "black chrome" and i way overpaid for it.

one more thing where did you get the wire looms silicon hoses Stainless Steel Braided Radiator and Overflow Hose Sleeves at?? thanks man ill give ya some more stars!

Hey mp301guy, you will be able to see my engine bay in person soon. Me and my wife are moving to either Arlington or Mesquite on the 20th of Dec. All of the people in the Dallas area will have to get together. And maybe try to go down to the World Import Challange in Houston this March or April, I cant remember. Keep in touch. :D

sweet man !! yeah dallas area rocks i love it the only thing i wish we got is a little colder weather. it was 70 today. For crying out loud it is DECEMBER!!!hahaha ohh well. yeah i want to do that same thing to my engine hope ya dont mind me taking a few ideas from ya .

Ben:

That does look good...Thanks for telling the pipe size. Now you'll just have to tell us if it helped any.

Ben, i would paint it yellow with red sticker, there is already ALOT of red in that engine compartment adn its all surrounded by the yellow frame of the car. I think it would look nice to have some yellow going right down the middle of all that red to contrast a little. Just my opinion though. :D :D Looks great. Nice CAI.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I think I am going to paint it yellow. And Chris, it does feel like it helped in power, mainly in the mid to high RPM range. Give's a little extra kick in the pants and the growl is amazing. The first time you hear it after installing a CAI, you will get that sweet adrenalin rush. I'll definately look you guys up when I get to Dallas.

Back