CAI and Warranties

Mp3cHikn

I know there was a topic somewhere below about this.. but.. I talked to a service mechanic at my mazda dealership, and he said that any aftermarket CAI we put on our car will void the warranty (even if they install it), however, a different exhaust won't. I guess I'll wait on the modifications a while. I need my warranty!

If you know how to put it on yourself, you can always take it off before you go in for warranty service.
Atleast thats what I will do.

THe only way it will void the warranty is if it is at cause of damage to the engine. For example, if it sucks up some waterinto the engine... you're screwed! Now, your transmission blows, the air intake has nothing to do with that, they have to honor your warranty. I have an aftermarket cone filter on mine, and I have had warranty work since having put it on. Don't let them jerk you around! If you do decide to get the CAI, just be sure to get a bypass valve like the one from AEM. It's a little added a safety against water getting in.

I have free oil changes for 3 years, so I would have to take it off and put it back on too often. If they see that they may hold it against me, so I think I'll just wait. Thanks!

Actually "Coolhand" is right, If the CAI is not the source of the failure than you have nothing to worry about and unless you don't get the Bypass Vavle their won't be any reason for the CAI to screw up anything.
Water is the biggest danger in adding a CAI to your engine.
So as long as you buy a CAI that comes with the bypass vavle or add it to a CAI, you will be okay.
But you are probably right, if the power thing is not an issue with you at the moment then you should wait till the warranty expires.
Good Luck with whatever you do. :D

BTW...How in the H..E..Double hockey sticks...did you get free oil changes?
I wish I could have struck that kinda deal with my dealer. :p

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: MP3-Owner ]

I dunno, I just told them that I wanted the extended warranty, and then they told me that it came with free oil changes.. I was stoked.. hell yea.. heh

The dealer has to prove that the mod was the reason for the problem. there is a law out there. i posted a message about this along time ago but nobody responed to it.

i found my old post here it is.

I know eve3rybody was asking this and there were people answering that "thought" they knew the answer. If you want the real facts aobut mods and your warranty go to SEMA. hell print it out so when you go to the dealer they will see it. here is the link http://www.sema.org/warranty

here is another web site.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/cgi-bi... 12-03-2001: Message edited by: freekwonder ]

ATTACHMENT A
Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

Blam.

Free oil changes...whoppie. Heck i get free wiper blades every 12 months too!

Actually, it's part of the maint. plan I bought up front. 700.00 Canadian, and I don't ever have to pay for any service on the car. Oil changes, filters, plugs, tires rotated, fluids changed etc etc. All taken care of. I drop car off, they hand me the key to another, I come back later on, and pick mine up.....no cash needed. I love it.

Originally posted by Mp3cHikn:
<STRONG>I have free oil changes for 3 years, so I would have to take it off and put it back on too often. If they see that they may hold it against me, so I think I'll just wait. Thanks!</STRONG>

So let me get this straight...you're gonna hold off moding your car for THREE years, just so that you can get FREE oil changes? Who cares about an oil change? You can DIY in 15 minutes! Hell, drive down here and I'll do it for ya!

Back