MP3 running too rich????

big_ben

Contributor
I saw on the turbo idea thread that 2K1YellowMP3 had his car dynoed and they said it was running too rich. If you will notice when your car hasn't been washed in about 2 weeks or so, that there is a lot of soot build up on the muffler tip. I have'nt washed my car b/c we are expecting so much rain, otherwise I'm psycho about washing it. Any ways,...I was wonderng if anyone else noticed this.

Yes, last week when I washed my MP3, I saw a small build up at the muffler tip. This is a sign of a running rich engine!

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Stou ]

Yeah, I think every manufacturer sells their cars running a bit rich. I look at it as safety precaution for the companies. No blown motors that way. The WRX comes extremely rich from the factory. Both of my old Civic's ran a bit rich too, Honda's tend to do that once you start drving them hard. Once we put intakes on our cars, it should run a bit more rich depending how the ECU takes to the added airflow.

Shouldnt the Apexi S-AFC solve this problem?
i should have one soon. i just need to find the wiring diagrams. Does anyone know where i could find some wiring diagrams for our cars?

I've already spoken to APEXi about using the S-AFC on the MP3 and unfortunately, they don't have a diagram for it available. I've been meaning to call Racing Beat, Corksport, Tri-Point and a couple of other companies that have actually tuned the MP3 to see if they have a Diagram that tells you what pins are where on the ECU itself. Once we know where the pins are, we can install the S-AFC. But first we need to find out what type of sensor we use in our intake piping and what voltage it operates at. I'm sure anyone of thosse companies I listed above can tell you that info. Goodluck man, happy tuning :D

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

yhea i've seen the soot on the tip too, i just figure it's the extra thick break-in oil that comes in the car from the farctoy. any car is going to make the exhaust tip darker after time.the best way to find out if you are running rich is a a/f meter. most of the ones in stores are crap. the realy good ones
are a chunk of cash. after owning a rx 7 you find these thing out pretty quickly. a battle i am still fighting w/ my rx.

Too much gas compaired to the amount of air. The more air, the hotter and clearer it will burn. But too much air and you will lose power and you exhaust manifold will start to glow.

I agree w/ jcs...I was thinking that MP3s running rich isn't neccessarily a bad thing. That way, when we jack them up a little bit, the chances of them running lean are less. And running rich doesn't hurt anything whereas running lean does...correct?

Back