Driving on fifth gear????/

rcfan

Have any of you wonder how come going at 80 mph the engine is revn\at almost 3500 or more rpm. I love this car won't change for anything but in our car club there are many honda's and they don't rev that high?> I call the tech's from mazda and they did't know at the dealership, call american mazda and they tol me it revs high because of performance??? does any one knows?????? :rolleyes: ;) :confused: :confused:

I noticed the same thing. My wife has a 2000 Civic EX and it is at 85 to 90 at 3500 revs. It doesn't sound too loud or like the engine is struggling though in the MP3, so I'm not going to worry about it. I've also noticed that it seems like I have the most HP at about 5500 to 6000 instead of redline.????

The gear ratios are what makes the car run higher, it keeps it closer to the power band.

And, most engines peak just before red-line and the drop off a alittle. Look at a dyno chart and you will see.

I think the gearing in fifth gear for the MP3 is pretty damn good. Just take a closer look at the specs on our cars. 142lb ft or torque @ 4200 and 140 hp @ 6000 rpms. When you're chilling in 5th gear on the highway @ 3500, you're not too far from the peak torque which is @ 4200 and torque is acceleration. I feel like the torque we have in 5th gear saves us from having to downshift to make passes oon the highway. Not that downshifting is bad or anything.

The SOHC EX 1.6liter Honda red-line quite a bit higher than our 2.0 liters. 7400 rpms, that's 1400 rpms higher. I felt like I always had to downshift in my Civic to make passes.

I agree- the tranny in this car is the best I've had yet. My integra was running over 4,000 at speeds of 80mph. And with a tiny 1.6L and 7G redline, even downshifting did little good on the highway because you'd have to shift up again before redline. This car feels stable but willing in 5th. And best of all, you dont have the engine ringing from 4K rpm driving down the highway.

I like it too. in fith gear i can blow by anyone on the highway i never need to downshift to pass or to accelerate.

I just wish that 1st was a little longer and that they made the car a 6speed instead of a 5. But I digress. Tis all good :)

I agreee w/MP3-Owner...We should get another 5mph our of first, and a 6th gear would ahve been great for fuel economy.

Well, if we're lucky and our MP3's react to an Intake like my Civic's did, we should see a few more MPH out of each gear with a short ram or cold air intake. Cool thing about my 95 Civic EX, was with my DINAN ECU, I was ablee to drop it into 3rd on the highway while already rolling at 90mph. Of course I don't expect anyone to believe me without an MPEG to prove it. And yes, DINAN did make chips for Honda ECU's for a few years. :p

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Originally posted by APEXistud:
<STRONG>Well, if we're lucky and our MP3's react to an Intake like my Civic's did, we should see a few more MPH out of each gear with a short ram or cold air intake. Cool thing about my 95 Civic EX, was with my DINAN ECU, I was ablee to drop it into 3rd on the highway while already rolling at 90mph. Of course I don't expect anyone to believe me without an MPEG to prove it. And yes, DINAN did make chips for Honda ECU's for a few years. :p

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]</STRONG>

There should be no difference in top speed/gear if you add more HP. The top speed in each gear is determined by gearing in the tranny. If you have a MP3 with 120HP to the wheel and a MP3 with 140HP to the wheel, they will have the same top speed in each gear. The one with more HP will get there faster.

That is very true, for HP just makes you reach top speed faster. So the gears will actually go by faster, because you are reaching that top speed faster, right?

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: MP3-Owner ]

Back