box that rear view mirror is near

:
2019 Cx-5 sport
2019 cx5 sport

Ok, I'm tired of trying to find out what that thing on the interior windshield near
rearview mirror is called............. the black box on windshield

I've done alot of searches and can't find the proper name for it.......

sorry for stupid question, but can't see it listed anywhere........

thanks for help

joe

Although this's for gen-1 CX-5, but it should be very similar. There was an instruction from Mazda factory shop manual in post #2 of the following thread but unfortunately the pic is gone after the site update a while ago. You basically just use force to separate two pieces of the cover.

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

I finally decided to do something to our loose auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink on Sunday before the weather is getting too cold and the tabs of plastic cover may become less flexible and more fragile. I guess I was lucky none of the tabs been broken after I separated the windshield sensor cover. Again thanks to Kedis82ZE8 otherwise I would need to get the new cover!
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors%252520Cover_03.jpg

The T20 screw holding the heavy mirror was loose. I tightened it up but not too much as I'm fully aware the weak windshield issue on CX-5 and many people had line crack developed from this sensor area due to stress fracture which might be caused by the heavy mirror attached to a small metal plate glued to the windshield, definitely not sensors as these sensors looked pretty light-weighted and attached to larger area of the windshield.
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I've seen at least one forum member mentioned having the loose auto-dimming rearview mirror. That's why I went ahead and checked ours for sure ours was loose too. I suspect Mazda is intentionally not putting enough torque on this T20 screw to prevent adding too much uneven force by the screw itself against the metal plate and windshield, hence loose mirror after the delivery. But leaving the mirror loose may also contribute possibility of line crack on windshield as the base of the mirror will keep banging the windshield. To me, the design needs to be improved. At least the metal plate which glued to the windshield where the heavy mirror attached to should be larger and thicker!

On your 2019 I think you are talking about the "front camera cover" that holds the FSC (Forward Sensing Camera).

Your vehicle is equipped with a Forward Sensing Camera (FSC). The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is positioned near the rearview mirror and used by the following systems:

High Beam Control System (HBC)
Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS)
Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
Smart Brake Support (SBS)

05282100-kfusa01-001.png

The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) determines the conditions ahead of the vehicle while traveling at night and detects traffic lanes. The distance in which the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) can detect objects varies depending on the surrounding conditions.

yep, bigtex got it right.... so it's called a forward sensing camera or the front camera cover ! duh.....

I appreciate the info and help,

joe

Back