Recommendations to repair hole on 2017 CX-5 roof rain gutter cover

Hi, When I bought the car, the previous owner had roof racks installed on the CX-5 but took it off before he sold it.
I can see 4 holes that was drilled through the plastic rain gutter cover. It also appears to be manufactured with some metal components underneath which I can see is starting to rust.
Any recommendations on how to repair this? Because there are threaded holes underneath, I don't want water sitting in the holes so want to protect it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

CX5-Hole1.jpg

CX5-Hole2.jpg

CX5-Hole3.jpg

I agree, they do look nice! However, don't really like the cross bars that go with the rails. I prefer longer cross bars installed, Something like the Thule roof racks to take advantage of the roof space.

Black duct tape for easy temporary fix.
You want to protect the threads if you're ever going to mount bars again.

Can't you just plug the holes with those plastic grommets used to keep the plastic underbody panels in place?

Those are some ugly holes!

If you don't want to replace the plastic rain gutter covers with new OEM covers (this would be my choice) then I'd go with CX5Nut's recommendation and get some black plastic flush mount caps such as these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Those listed above aren't the correct size of course but you get the idea. Once you get the right sized caps clean the 'lips' of the holes up with a razor and maybe a file and then treat the rusting metal fasteners inside of the holes with something to prevent rust. Then use some sealant around the holes before snapping the caps in place. Done.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.
I was going go cover the holes with some black silicone and then I wondered if I could somehow modify my CX-7 Rhino RSS153 Roof racks to fit the CX-5. That would cover the holes and save a bit of money in buying new roof racks. It appears that the Rhino RSS153 Roof Racks sit nicely on the CX-5. I just had to use a hack saw to cut the bars to size. Here is the finished result.
CX5_hole_fix.jpg

cx5_hole_fix2.jpg

Back