Steering wheel

I have a new CX5 reserve and my only dislike is the steering wheel. I wish they had made it thicker.

I have a new CX5 reserve and my only dislike is the steering wheel. I wish they had made it thicker.

I know what you mean. A thicker wheel definitely feels nicer in the hands.

There are DIY leather steering wheel wraps that you can stitch on to increase thickness. Otherwise, a cheap and easy solution is a steering wheel cover.

I was literally just looking at this. I*m trying to find one that has the cuts for the three spokes.

You guys would not dig the 2016's smooth leather steering wheels then lol. The 2017 redesign brought a much thicker wheel.

Is it the same one that's used on the Signature? I really like the wheel in ours.

When you look at the section of the online brochure listing the differences as you go up the chain to the higher trims, the upgrade list for the Signature says "Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching." So it sounds like it is different than the Reserve and the other trims.

They have used slightly thicker leather in the Signature (our GT). It*s still an awkward shape in my opinion. The new 3 has the new steering wheel which will be added to the CX5 eventually. It is said to be very much better.

There is a free new steering wheel for older CX5s that exhibit degradation of the leather.

There is a free new steering wheel for older CX5s that exhibit degradation of the leather.

That's what I had done. The shiny smooth leather that they use to use was very thin and pealed only after a couple months into the vehicle's life. The replacement wheel is much more tactile and durable.

You do have to be under 36K miles in order for them to honor the TSB. I was at 35,900 when I got mine done lol.

Back