When and Why Did Mazda Lose "Zoom Zoom" at start up?

:
Mazda CX5 GTR 2019
So, I was taking my daughter's 2011 Mazda 3 to the dealership, and noticed that it (like my '07 CX9) showed "Zoom Zoom" when you first started the car. It was even polite enough to say "Goodbye" when you turned it off. My new 2019 CX5 GTR doesn't do that.

Questions:

1. When did Mazda lose that nice touch?
2. Why did Mazda lose that nice touch?
3. Can you program the system to restore it? (I'm sure not, but I can dream).

They stopped using the "zoom-zoom" slogan around the time that the SkyActiv platform rolled out. Part of the change was because none of the cars had any "zoom". The last Mazdaspeed3 was the 2013 model. None of the early SkyActiv cars had any "zoom". It was only last year when the 2018 Mazda6 finally got a turbo engine.

I miss the Wankel rotary commercials.

A Mazda goes "Hmmmmmmmm"

I miss the Wankel rotary commercials.

A Mazda goes "Hmmmmmmmm"

Lol, now you're digging pretty deep into the archives!

Mazda has dialed back the Zoom Zoom stuff but they haven't completely eliminated it. It still appears in some advertising and you can still get plate frames and other stuff from Mazda that say Zoom Zoom on them. I think to this day the Zoom Zoom ad campaign was probably one of the most successful/memorable car ads ever.

https://youtu.be/M4D3jwSYpEc

Mazda has dialed back the Zoom Zoom stuff but they haven't completely eliminated it. It still appears in some advertising and you can still get plate frames and other stuff from Mazda that say Zoom Zoom on them. I think to this day the Zoom Zoom ad campaign was probably one of the most successful/memorable car ads ever.

You gotta love a capitalist society, when so many cultural frames of reference center around advertising.

I bought my first Mazda a couple of week ago...a GT Reserve. When I completed the break-in miles, I went on the interstate and found my Zoom Zoom ;) Actually, I was out shopping and was on my way home when I realized I was about 15 miles shy of break-in threshold, so I drove around a bit and THEN went on the interstate...I got tired of waiting.

I do not anticipate the mileage on this tank of gas to be quite as impressive as the prior two.

They still had the Zoom Zoom intro on the first page of the owners manual for my 2019 GTR I just picked up.

My first car was an RX4 but I wished I had the RX3SP with 5 speed manual. The RX3 had only 100 HP but weighed only 2000 lbs, as I recall. Eventually I had owned four rotary RXs before I broke the streak with an 89 MX6 GT Turbo - not nearly as smooth but had much more torque and better fuel mileage.

This is random but I remember Mazdas from the mid 2000s would show what gear you were in even with the automatic. I think it would be cool to have that again.

This is random but I remember Mazda*s from the mid 2000s would show what gear you were in even with the automatic. I think it would be cool to have that again.

I was thinking the same thing myself when I was in Manual Shift mode and noticed that the selected gear was displayed. I drive on some hilly back roads and was curious as whether or not the thing had downshifted, and how far if HAD downshifted.

But this is really picking at the fringes. I imagine if it DID have this feature, I would be whining that it's irrelevant and too distracting ;)

This is random but I remember Mazda*s from the mid 2000s would show what gear you were in even with the automatic. I think it would be cool to have that again.

My 2007 CX9 had that, I believe. Really liked it.

My 2010 Mazda 3 had it. My 2017 3 did not, nor does the CX5.

I think they did away with the zoom zoom in your face on startup when they started trying to go "upmarket" with their designs.

The new slogan is FEEL ALIVE so maybe that nonsense is about to be adorned across our dashboard. I don*t mind as long Ozzie Osborne says * Right, I*ve got your lazy arse here, now fk off* when I switch off.

Back