Maintenance warning at start up when nothing is needed? Anyone else?

:
2018 CX5
New 2018 CX5 purchased July 2018. Now has 5700 miles. When I bought the car I set the oil maintenance schedule to flexible (1 yr/7500 miles) and tire rotation to every 7,500 miles. The maintenance screen show I have ~2000 miles and 5 months left.

About a month ago at start up a warming came up in yellow "maintenance due soon". Now it says "maintenance over due"

What gives? Why am I getting this message?? What's due???

Thanks!

I have the same problem. I bought my 2018 int February or March of 2018. I had my first change done by the dealer at 5000. I did the second one myself at 12,500. I reset the maintenance, oil, and tire rotation interval in Mazda Connect and had it set to 12 months and flexible which defaults to 7500.

I still got the overdue for 10-20 seconds occasionally on start-up. Then it reverts to the correct X number of months, and x thousands of miles until next service (usually just about the time I get my phone ready to take a picture for evidence, so I don't capture the overdue message).

I've even turned off the reminder for service and rotation in Mazda Connect since I can just pace those by the oil changes. I still get the "overdue" notice.

I've scheduled an appointment with the dealer next month because of this. I expect it to be addressed under warranty.

Let me know what they say...it must be a software bug since the dash does not reflect what the Mazda connect says. Unless someone has another idea or solution...

Let me know what they say...it must be a software bug since the dash does not reflect what the Mazda connect says. Unless someone has another idea or solution...

Just to be clear, the dash does match after the initial start-up. It's only the first 20 seconds or so when mine says "Service Overdue".

But I agree, it looks like a software bug.

Your are right...only at start up do I get the warning and then it goes away. If I toggle the switch on the steering wheel the info is the same as the Mazda Connect. Maybe at start up the default is "need service" and then the computers check with each other and then have the correct information? or maybe the "need service" warning is just like all the other warning lights that show up at start up to show they are working?

Do you actually go INTO the MAINTENANCE app thingy? There's probably a warning there.

I took it in. The service advisor wasn't very knowledgeable but was friendly and took it seriously. She said they set them all to fixed interval at 5K and implied that the flexible setting was temperamental and why would anybody bother with it.

I mentioned that some other folks had had similar problems and at least one case got an ECU update. She said they'd check mine and would update it if I wanted, but the tech said you have to switch from fixed to flexible to fixed and then back to flexible if you want to avoid that message. After 20 minutes they told me that the ECU was already at the most current revision.

If its true that I need to follow that sequence at every change, I may just switch to a fixed 7500 mile interval since I expect I'll always have plenty of oil life left then and 7500 is the max interval for 2nd gen even under flexible.

We'll see if it recurs.

I took it in. The service advisor wasn't very knowledgeable but was friendly and took it seriously. She said they set them all to fixed interval at 5K and implied that the flexible setting was temperamental and why would anybody bother with it.

I mentioned that some other folks had had similar problems and at least one case got an ECU update. She said they'd check mine and would update it if I wanted, but the tech said you have to switch from fixed to flexible to fixed and then back to flexible if you want to avoid that message. After 20 minutes they told me that the ECU was already at the most current revision.

If its true that I need to follow that sequence at every change, I may just switch to a fixed 7500 mile interval since I expect I'll always have plenty of oil life left then and 7500 is the max interval for 2nd gen even under flexible.

We'll see if it recurs.
I've been using Flexible OCI since day 1 on my 2016 CX-5. I did have some issues similar to yours after the first oil change and reset. The wrench indicator would pop up randomly from time to time although the oil life is at 100%. Only the PCM firmware update based on a TSB that fixed the problem since although my Flexible problem was different as described in the TSB. Never needs multiple resets.

BTW, I showed the TSB to service advisor and suggested him the PCM update to resolve the issue although the description of the problems is different from mine. He gladly accepted my suggestion and did the PCM update. In the end both sides were happy, as my Flexible problem got resolved, and he could charge Mazda NAO on the work they have done under warranty.

TSB 01-019/15: Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Does Not Work * 2014-2016 Mazda Vehicles

Bulletin No: 01-019/15 said:
DESCRIPTION

Some customer using "Flexible" setting for Oil Change in the maintenance monitor may notice that the oil change due notification will not work because of improper control logic of the PCM. This TSB is applicable for the following cases.
* The oil change due notification does not come on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.
* Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.

To display "Flexible" setting and "Oil life" on the center screen, select the "Applications" screen, "Maintenance", then "Oil Change" tab. For complete details, refer to the "MAINTENANCE MONITOR OPERATION PROCEDURE" in the Workshop Manual.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

I may just switch from flexible to fixed after my up coming oil change. Does anyone know off the top of their head if fixed allows it to be set to 7,500 miles? I seem to remember fixed was capped at 5,000?

I may just switch from flexible to fixed after my up coming oil change. Does anyone know off the top of their head if fixed allows it to be set to 7,500 miles? I seem to remember fixed was capped at 5,000?

I'm pretty sure 7500 was one of the choices for fixed. I don't see much benefit to flexible if the warranty requires max of 7500 interval in spite of remaining oil life.

Back