Smart City Brake Support?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I was reading Motor Trend 2017 Mazda RX-5 Long Term Review and Update 3 (https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2017/2017-mazda-cx-5-review-long-term-update-3/) was a revelation.

Quote "The CX-5's Smart Brake Support is definitely on the touchy/overzealous side, so much so that a few colleagues and I have experienced it intervene too early and way too aggressively."

Short of turning it off because it sounds dangerous to me, what would be the best setting. Presently its set at the default Med. would Near be somewhat better?

I have not experienced it being "touchy," in any way. However, if you don't like it and turn it off, just drive it like a regular car. It's not dangerous to turn it off, because cars have always lacked this feature. Just use the natural, standard feature that's always been there: your eyes, your foot and the brake.

I was reading Motor Trend 2017 Mazda RX-5 Long Term Review and Update 3 (https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2017/2017-mazda-cx-5-review-long-term-update-3/) was a revelation.

Quote "The CX-5's Smart Brake Support is definitely on the touchy/overzealous side, so much so that a few colleagues and I have experienced it intervene too early and way too aggressively."

Short of turning it off because it sounds dangerous to me, what would be the best setting. Presently its set at the default Med. would Near be somewhat better?

I have not found the SCBS system to be intrusive at all - and certainly not dangerous - and I have mine set on "Far." I only seem to get a beep once in a while when I'm coming up on someone a little too quickly. Other than that, I've yet to experience the system intervene and actually take over braking.

You can turn it off, but it will automatically reset the next time you start the car. Why not experiment with it yourself at different settings and see what you think? You can adjust the distance setting to your personal preference.

SBS is not the same as SCBS. SBS is for higher speeds, and its been known to be over zealous in testing. Mainly early reviews on the CX9.

I dont recall the exact speeds, and there is probably some overlap for safety. But its something like:

SCBS <= 22 mph
SBS > 22 mph

Last edited:
I have not found the SCBS system to be intrusive at all - and certainly not dangerous - and I have mine set on "Far." I only seem to get a beep once in a while when I'm coming up on someone a little too quickly. Other than that, I've yet to experience the system intervene and actually take over braking.

You can turn it off, but it will automatically reset the next time you start the car. Why not experiment with it yourself at different settings and see what you think? You can adjust the distance setting to your personal preference.

Been driving for 52 years and never even come close to rear-ending someone.

Have only had the CX-5 for a month and already received the BRAKE warning once. My wife and I looked at each other and could not figure out why we were getting the message. We were driving on a city street going relatively slow and the car in front was some distance away and I had plenty of time to apply the brakes like always. So why the message came on so soon I dont know. At least the system did not apply the brakes automatically because that could have caused a potential rear-ender what with the way so many drivers tailgate these days. Thats what I mean about dangerous.

It would have been useful for Mazda to actually explain in the manual what the different SCBS (Far, Med. Near) settings mean and the auto braking distance of each. I will set it to Far and see how that works out.

At least the system did not apply the brakes automatically because that could have caused a potential rear-ender what with the way so many drivers tailgate these days. Thats what I mean about dangerous.

I can only speak on behalf of 16.5 & 18 models... Got BRAKE warning beeps many times, and I have to agree with you that a few of these were unnecessary. Also got actual braking once, but trust me, it really had to, else I would have rear ended the car in front. So I don't think you need to worry about unnecessary brake engagement that might cause rear ending from behind. Unnecessary warnings, yes.

I thought the SCBS in my '15 Grand Touring was a bit sensitive as a couple of guard gates which were opening triggered the system as we were leaving a controlled parking lot. Speed under 10 mph so it was definitely SCBS.

I've had the warning light in my '17 Grand Touring flash but only today did I ever dectect it engaging (very briefly) the brakes. Car ahead of me was turning right but I misjudged how soon he would complete his turn. I wasn't in danger of hitting him but the system did work. Speed was over 25 MPH so that was the SBS.

I'd rather have it work prematurely than too late...

Latest posts

Back