replaceing tail light housing

peregrine17

:
Mazda CX-5 touring
My tail lights (actually both of them) have been cracked. They still work but I'd have to do the red tape thing to get them to pass sticker. I have the full enclosure parts, they were like $350 if I went through the dealer but I got them for $90 each. That said, I can get the light enclosure off but I cant get to where I plug it in. The part I have is the entire part, not just a light etc. That said I don't know how to get to where I actually plug this thing in. Is it an inside the trunk job? Edit: it is a 2017 CX-5 touring. Also sorry for the stupid typo in the subject.

Last edited:
It's probably easier to plug the wiring harness back in after the light housing has been installed. Having removed and installed a few headlight and tail light housings myself, I would open up the trunk, and pull back the panels right behind the tail light housing. You should be able to see the wiring harness plugged into the bulb socket - typically this is how you would change a light bulb.

Anyway, unplug the wiring harness. Now remove the light housing from the outside. Reinstall the replacement housing, then plug the wiring harness into the new housing. Put the trunk panels back into place and you're done.

** I'm just guessing here as I haven't taken any housings off of a CX-5 before, I've only done this with my CX-9 and my other older cars.

I tried that. The main light was no problem but the other one is stuck and I can't figure out how to get it out without breaking the plastic

If all of the light bulbs are removed from the housing and any plastic ties attaching the tail light harness to the tail light are broken /cut / removed you should be able to replace the housing without replacing any harnesses. I can't remember exactly what it looked like when I changed my bulb but it didn't look too bad. I don't recall if any harness was actually tied to the housing or if it was just the 2 bulbs.

If you need to change the tail light harness with the housing the tail light harness is a relatively small pigtail with a single harness connector on one end, a grommet which seals the hole in the body work, which then splits into the individual light bulbs for the tail light itself.

If you need to get to where the tail light harness plugs into the main vehicle harness you need to get to the interior sheetmetal of the body behind the tail light (s). This is the only photo I have on hand from when I installed my trailer wiring harness. This is the interior panel removal necessary to get to the tail light / body harness connection.

14domme.jpg

Again, if you're not comfortable with all this its probably worth paying a shop for help. I can't imagine it would be pleasant breaking and replacing one of these panels, the harness, or the new housing.

I myself would free the existing harness from the existing broken harnesses and re-use it if possible, avoiding any of the interior panel removal.

If you can take a photo and identify exactly what you're saying is stuck and you can't remove someone may have better advice. A picture is worth 1000 words. I may be way off base what you're actually asking for.

I tried that. The main light was no problem but the other one is stuck and I can't figure out how to get it out without breaking the plastic (in regards to just changing out the plugs)

there are two grey knobs on the inside, one is what you'd use to replace the main bulb, that comes off just fine. I can't get the other one off.

Ok, I'll admit I have no idea what you're describing. Take a photo and upload it or maybe post a link to the new housings and reference what you're trying to plug in/unplug.

Back