Anyone wonder how "Safe" the CX5 is

:
Mazda CX5 AWD, GT
Last Friday before Christmas i was entering one of our busiest highways up here in the great white north (hwy 401) when a semi driver decided he wanted my lane more than his. I was forced to choose to either hit him and potentially end up under his trailer wheels, or swerve and hit a concrete barrier.......... i choose the latter.....

My beloved 2016 CX5 GT was a write off, BUT apart from needing a change of underwear i didn't suffer ANY damage....walked away.....Truck driver didn't stop, just kept on trucking.

Lucky i had replacement insurance, came out of the deal with a 2019 CX5 Signature.

So if anyone wonders how safe the CX5 is in a front end/side collision, It does just fine,

Attachments

• Old.jpg
    Old.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 407
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 389
I was about to post a photo of my totaled CX-5, but I see theres already good evidence posted above.

My sons 17 Mazda 3 is proof as well. He walked away without a scratch after getting t-boned.

We are Mazda for life...

Great to hear and congrats on surviving! Coming from a smaller car it already feels safe to me and very sure-footed in the torrential rains weve been having (2019 GTR AWD).

Glad you're ok, and nice upgrade, I'm on the 401 twice daily from Miss to Scarb. and back, always gotta be mindful of those truckers...

Glad to hear all is well. It will be interesting to hear how your insurance sees this accident as - at fault or 3rd party fault.

Happy to hear that you were able to walk away! I've been hit by trucks twice in the past nine years, both times they did the same thing and moved into my lane. The first time did a few thousand dollars worth of damage to my P5 but it was fixable and I kept the car for six more years, he too hit and ran. The second time, my NB sacrificed her life for me. :(

Glad to hear all is well. It will be interesting to hear how your insurance sees this accident as - at fault or 3rd party fault.

In my situation, my insurance covered it as an uninsured motorist. I was out my $500 deductible but they paid the rest and my premiums did not go up.

Last Friday before Christmas i was entering one of our busiest highways up here in the great white north (hwy 401) when a semi driver decided he wanted my lane more than his. I was forced to choose to either hit him and potentially end up under his trailer wheels, or swerve and hit a concrete barrier.......... i choose the latter.....

My beloved 2016 CX5 GT was a write off, BUT apart from needing a change of underwear i didn't suffer ANY damage....walked away.....Truck driver didn't stop, just kept on trucking.

Lucky i had replacement insurance, came out of the deal with a 2019 CX5 Signature.

So if anyone wonders how safe the CX5 is in a front end/side collision, It does just fine,

The new red vehicle will help also. The brighter the vehicle, the better. Dark greys and silvers are hard to see as they blend with the surrounding roadways.

In my situation, my insurance covered it as an uninsured motorist. I was out my $500 deductible but they paid the rest and my premiums did not go up.
OP did not hit truck. He hit concrete barrier.

OP did not hit truck. He hit concrete barrier.

Yes, sorry about that. I got caught up with him stating the truck drove off. Maybe he has a dash cam to provide proof? If not, that is a very good question you have.

The new red vehicle will help also. The brighter the vehicle, the better. Dark greys and silvers are hard to see as they blend with the surrounding roadways.

Tell that to the guy who ran my Mustang GT over at the gas pump.

(probably not relative, but I'm still bitter)

i'm in Whitby, but work in Kingston, have to go in couple of times a week, getting on the 401 at Kingston is where it happened

Because the truck didn't stop they saw it as "At Fault" but i have accident forgiveness so all was good....this time

Glad to see that the CX-5 is extremely crashworthy, but sorry that you had to test that ability.
Love that you got a red Signature as a replacement ... I'm certainly loving mine.

You might want to install front and rear dashcams to provide video evidence in the event of a future incident.
I've been running BlackVue cameras in all of my vehicles for several years.
Fingers crossed ... I've not yet had to provide evidence of another driver's error.

I hope at some point manufacturers start installing recording front and rear cameras into the cars (export to USB), I think that would be a nice selling point having it integrated instead of the ugly aftermarket stuff running cables all over and so forth.

Not much help unless you like Citroen, the C3 has a dashcam integrated into the car as a factory fit. It's an example that it CAN be done although it is French so probably does not work as well as it could do.(outie)

Back