Squirrels did this...

banzaitree123

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Hey guys

I got a bit of a squirrel problem...

I'll let the photos do the talking but I need to find out how to stop them from doing this again. This is the second time and it's the worst I've seen so far.

I'm not trying to buy a new wiring harness for the entire car and wire it all and replace all the other bits they ate up but I am looking to see if anyone has any information where I can get my hands on a fuse box cover and possible other replacements.

Some information about the situation right now: I do park the car outside at night as I live in an apartment complex and I have already notified the apartment complex office about the issue. (I'm assuming they're not going to do anything)

Any sort of help is appreciated, Happy New Years to everyone!

470928422309081890.jpg4050098278463216255.jpg

I wonder if there is something you can spray that would keep squirrels away. Maybe a visit to a garden shop. I know they have stuff to keep rabbits and ground hogs out of gardens. Ed

How long do you leave your vehicle parked between drives? I doubt that is happening overnight. We have a s*** load of squirrels on our property but theyve never tired nesting in an engine bay.

How long do you leave your vehicle parked between drives? I doubt that is happening overnight. We have a s*** load of squirrels on our property but they*ve never tired nesting in an engine bay.

It's my daily and I drive it on the weekends too. I literally drive it everywhere.

You could try mothballs. Anything to make it unpleasant for them.

Normal. Happened to both my CX-5s. In my case those were mice. Chewed some electric tape from coil wires too.

Normal. Happened to both my CX-5s. In my case those were mice. Chewed some electric tape from coil wires too.

You're in IL, as is the OP. This has me worried. I thought rodents only like Toyota wires! (eek)

I have had this happen to my F250 SD Diesel. Very expensive and time-consuming repair. There are sprays and such but I found the high pitch rodent repeller to flat out work. It emits a tone that will drive them away. I live in dog heaven for squirrels. These types of alarms will cause a squirrel to change direction and leave the area of the vehicle. Combine this with a perimeter of mothballs crushed on the ground to cause an immediate retrain and I would hazard to guess your problem will be solved.
Here is your approach-
Wash under vehicle and hood at car wash.
Spread mothballs around perimeter of the vehicle, crush them into the ground. This is to piss off the persistent ones who have already made a habit of your vehicle.
Mount this under hood
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I bet this takes care of your situation.

Time for me to start watching Rick and Morty.

They have big problems in parts of Europe with Pine Martens gnawing at plastic and rubber parts. Most rodents including mice cannot resist some of these materials just like a cat cannot resist catnip. They do sell *Marten Repellent* in Germany so you might be able to research what is in it and treat your car accordingly.

Last edited:
Back