Higher Mantaince ?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Couscous that the turbo version has Spark Plug replacement at 40K miles vs 75K miles. I would think that the newer plugs are capable of lasting much longer than 40K. I don't think other Turbo engines require that frequent plug changes but, I haven't checked other manufactures recently. Ed

From my experience they do actually. There is a lot more heat and pressure with a turbo. You also generally need to run cooler plugs which can foul more easily.

Couscous that the turbo version has Spark Plug replacement at 40K miles vs 75K miles. I would think that the newer plugs are capable of lasting much longer than 40K. I don't think other Turbo engines require that frequent plug changes but, I haven't checked other manufactures recently. Ed

My 2.5 NA motor, I did the plugs on it around 80K or something and they were just fine. Probably could have gone well over 100K. I've not owned forced induction vehicles before t hough, and that is a different animal. Honestly though, if plug replacement is a factor...

I just checked my MAZDA 2.3 turbo engine in my CX7 and the spark plug change interval is 75,000 miles.

The ecoboost is 100k but a buddy of mine who is a mechanic says they are routinely fouled and causing driveability issues around 60k. He recommended 40k if stock and 20k if tuned.

I suppose- did mine in 20 minutes for about $30- that was @87k due to a misfire- and it wasn't the plug(s) it was a coil over plug that was at fault- plugs looked ok.

Yea plugs arent that expensive and are easy to change. Seems like a non issue to me in the grand scheme of car ownership.

The laser plugs sound really neat.
I happened upon a car show the other day on TV, and they were installing these 3d spark plugs that I had never seen or heard of. Looked really cool.
If you google 'brisk 3d spark plugs' you'll get a short video on them and see the difference.
I'd be curious to know how much increase in efficiency these bring to the table.

Saabs recommended plug interval was 60 in both the NA and Turbo.

It appears that many turbo engines require plug changes at 60 to 100,000 miles EXCEPT for the MAZDA. Genuine Mazda spark plugs are not cheap even on the NA engine. I agree it is a minor thing in the scheme of things but, it will be an fairly expensive annoyance, especially for those who must depend of the dealer. Ed

At least with Ford it should be lower. Im going to have to check my VW but I think its 40k also.

It appears that many turbo engines require plug changes at 60 to 100,000 miles EXCEPT for the MAZDA. Genuine Mazda spark plugs are not cheap even on the NA engine. I agree it is a minor thing in the scheme of things but, it will be an fairly expensive annoyance, especially for those who must depend of the dealer. Ed

Near anyone can do plug changes. Hell, i dont do oil or cabin filter and I still do my own plugs. 100 bucks from the dealer. Easy peasy.

Near anyone can do plug changes. Hell, i dont do oil or cabin filter and I still do my own plugs. 100 bucks from the dealer. Easy peasy.
~$100 is the cost for parts only on spark plugs. MSRP on PY8V-18-110 spark plug for 2.5T is $31.42 each. Thiss the price most Mazda dealers would charge to customers for 2.5T spark plugs. Labor is additional.

Yeah maintenance cost on 2.5T definitely will be higher.

I've ALWAYS preformed all maintenance on my vehicles, ie tuneups, brakes, timing belt replacement etc. You get the idea, but, at 80+ years old, I do have difficulty bending over for the length of time required to do a spark plug replacement. I suspect that a dealer will charge ~ $300 for a spark plug change and an independent will do $250 using factory plugs. Not a deal killer or much in the big picture but, irritating. Ed

Last edited:
~$100 is the cost for parts only on spark plugs. MSRP on PY8V-18-110 spark plug for 2.5T is $31.42 each. This*s the price most Mazda dealers would charge to customers for 2.5T spark plugs. Labor is additional.

Yeah maintenance cost on 2.5T definitely will be higher.

By about $40ish every 50-60K miles. I can stomach that.

Back