Car and Driver doesnt seem to think the RAV4 beats the CX-5

You can always go with a cargo box, cargo basket or rear carrier if you need more capacity.

And the cargo isnt really that much smaller. I think it mainly is the sloped roof that lowers it on paper vs many of the competitors.

They are right. I drove both last week (Mazda Signtature and 2019 Rav4 limited), back to back. The CX5 looks better, drives nicer, is quieter, more responsive and faster. There is no doubt less room in the CX5. The back seat room in the Rave 4 is impressive. I didn't hate the Rav4, but that motor is a dog and the car is much noisier than the CX5. The Rav 4 interior is plastic on top of more plastic

I'm going to buy a CX5 Turbo this year

How much weight and what type and terrain are you towing? Speeds? Enclosed cargo trailer around town is way different than on the highway with wind resistance.

How much weight and what type and terrain are you towing? Speeds? Enclosed cargo trailer around town is way different than on the highway with wind resistance.

750 lb raised wall steel trailer that has a 3500lb axle and is 5 x 8. Recently Brought home a 600lb 2-up snowmobile over the summer. Freeway/Highway speeds... one can go faster than they need to be. I'm usually 5-10 under when towing.

Thinking about the turbo to tow Jetski/trailer which is 1200lbs and use it as my daily and retire the ND to a weekend car. Sold my truck a few weeks ago. Will make decision when I see the Honda Passport.

I saw the RAV4 in person. Too much plastic.

I can't deny the CX-5 with 2.5T will make a great little tow vehicle as well.

It definitely supports the confidence in my decision making that a major automotive magazine ranks the CX-5 as I do.....

I saw the RAV4 in person. Too much plastic.

Yep, Toyota will sell a ton of them because its the mainstream comfort brand, but I dont understand who theyre appealing to with the toy truck styling. They even point out the rubber knobs as a desirable feature, haha. Imagine if Toyota had a great design language - theyd be running circles around other auto companies.

Yep, Toyota will sell a ton of them because it*s the mainstream *comfort brand,* but I don*t understand who they*re appealing to with the toy truck styling. They even point out the rubber knobs as a desirable feature, haha. Imagine if Toyota had a great design language - they*d be running circles around other auto companies.

No kidding. They need fake wood like Mazda and Honda.

My main gripe is the bad handling....but it has legit torque vectoring...da fuq?

My only comment to anyone considering a Rav 4, CR-V or Santa Fe, is drive a CX-5 (preferably a GT). The CX-5 is so much more fun to drive. I like to drive, so for me, it was no contest.

The torque vectoring supposedly is actual, real, true torque vectoring. Not brake dragging.

There are brake dragging systems that work better it sounds like...... Honestly Im not that surprised. Sounds great on paper but that doesnt mean its dialed in well regardless of how it works mechanically.

Meanwhile the Mazda that handles better doesnt have torque vectoring at all. Brake dragging or otherwise.

Back