2016 CX-5 Test Drive Concerns/Question

thedinger

:
2010 Mazda 3
Hi, first of all i hope im posting this in the right section. Test drove a 2016 CX-5 GT which i really want to go along side my 3. The dealership only has 2 certified ones on the lot. The one i want seems to have a vibration at highway speed 60-70mph but it is only intermittent and really felt through the whole cabin not so much through the steering wheel. Isnt present under breaking. Is this just the driving dynamics of this model? I had the dealership balance the tires (which are new) and its still there. They said they would have a tech look at it today and get back to me but i have my doubts as to how thorough the tech will be as the other "certified" CX-5 there has an obvious exhaust leak. If i cant get a satisfactory answer from them i may have to walk away. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this in their CX-5. Thanks

If they did balance and its still there then it could be the bearings or a bushing.

If they can isolate the issue and fix it then Id go for it.

You know the answer to this already. LOL Hell no, that's not normal.

Of course it's normal. Don't all newer vehicles vibrate going down the highway?

Seriously though, my WRG3 SUV tires vibe. They have very stiff Aramid fiber sidewalls. If they are off literally 1/2oz on the balance, it's hell. 1/4 ounce is notable. This is part of why I gave them a negative review and am going to replace them after they are no-longer rain-safe. It very well could be a tire issue, even if they tried to re-balance.

Does not sound right. Would suggest test driving a 2017 or 2018 to see the improvements in the ride that have been made with the 2017 re-design.

I would drive/compare against the other 2016 CPO they have, and see if you feel the same vibes.

UNLIKE your Mazda3, the CX-5 will sound like it has an exhaust leak for the first min of a COLD startup, during the accelerated warm up phase on the SKYACTIV engine. This is normal.

Last edited:
That's a good point MDude.
OP why do you think it has an exhaust leak? And if it actually does??? Man, screw this dealer. BUT it is CPO so you could take it to another and get it fixed. lol

The one i want seems to have a vibration at highway speed 60-70mph but it is only intermittent and really felt through the whole cabin not so much through the steering wheel. Isnt present under breaking. Is this just the driving dynamics of this model? I had the dealership balance the tires (which are new) and its still there.

Not normal. I've driven 105 mph in my CX-5 before (I-80 in Wyoming) and it didn't vibrate like you are describing lol. Though those were on my Michelins. I don't do a lot of highway driving these days, but even when I do, no, no noticeable vibrations like what you are describing. If any pop up, then I'd assume the tires, as I just got some different ones.

as the other "certified" CX-5 there has an obvious exhaust leak.

Are you saying this based on the startup? Mazdadude is correct.

Of course it's normal. Don't all newer vehicles vibrate going down the highway?

Don't confuse the new people. (headshake

Last edited:
Hi, first of all i hope im posting this in the right section. Test drove a 2016 CX-5 GT which i really want to go along side my 3. The dealership only has 2 certified ones on the lot.
If the second one has no vibration issue under the same driving condition, you know there's an issue. You only consider it if the dealer can fix the problem.

What do you mean by exhaust leak on the second 2016 CX-5? For a 3-year-old vehicle, this's highly unlikely unless there was some accident involved.

More importantly, if these 2016 CX-5 GT's have Tech Package, make sure the LED accent strip DRLs are working. It'd cost you $1,200 each replacing the entire LED headlight if there's no warranty.

I would drive/compare against the other 2016 CPO they have, and see if you feel the same vibes.

UNLIKE your Mazda3, the CX-5 will sound like it has an exhaust leak for the first min of a COLD startup, during the accelerated warm up phase on the SKYACTIV engine. This is normal.

I've had vehicles with exhaust leaks and disagree. An actual exhaust leak at a header will sound like a lifter that isn't pumping up, or a bent pushrod. An exhaust leak further downstream will be fixed by tightening the coupling super easy and I would diagnose it based on checking this. On cold start-up, the only difference I hear from my CX5 in colder weather is piston slap, and it does smell very rich.

I've had vehicles with exhaust leaks and disagree. An actual exhaust leak at a header will sound like a lifter that isn't pumping up, or a bent pushrod. An exhaust leak further downstream will be fixed by tightening the coupling super easy and I would diagnose it based on checking this. On cold start-up, the only difference I hear from my CX5 in colder weather is piston slap, and it does smell very rich.

Here is the TSB that describes and illustrates the AWS system.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219023&d...

Last edited:
Sounds nothing like an exhaust leak to me. I know what you're talking about of course since I have a CX5 and have driven it in sub-0 weather. Exhaust leaks tick, IME

I am sure you are very used to the CX-5 AWS, but for a new person or the OP hearing it for the first time, it is a common question and complaint.

I do find it hard to believe a Mazda dealer is swing a CPO that Hasan exhaust issue OR that they wouldn't fix it if they were somehow unaware and you told them...

I am sure you are very used to the CX-5 AWS, but for a new person or the OP hearing it for the first time, it is a common question and complaint.

Even when I heard it the first time it didn't bug me. It ran rough, and rich AF, and I figured it was getting to light off ASAP with the cats. It just didn't seem like a problem honestly.

Does it have a roof rack? Is everything tight? Also, check that the rear spoiler above the back window is tight. Many have been found to be loose and this could cause the vibration too in certain circumstances.

Does it have a roof rack? Is everything tight? Also, check that the rear spoiler above the back window is tight. Many have been found to be loose and this could cause the vibration too in certain circumstances.

For sure. Mine made noise, not vibration though, but I'm sure the issues vary, it's a piece of metal flopping around.

Even when I heard it the first time it didn't bug me. It ran rough, and rich AF, and I figured it was getting to light off ASAP with the cats. It just didn't seem like a problem honestly.

It is not a problem for you I agree. (bow)

However, I am referring to the original poster, whom if he had never heard the SKYACTIV AWS, and was OUTSIDE the vehicle, it would sound abnormal. That is why there are TSB's and many posts on this very forum from new posters that ask what is wrong and why it is so loud at cold-startup.

https://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/why-is-my-mazda-3-so-loud-when-it-starts/

Last edited:
Back