Can I disable the power liftgate on an 18 GT?

:
2014 CX 5 Touring AWD Bose and Tech
We load expensive kayaks on our 18 GT and I'm worried that one of us will inadvertently hit the power lift opener. I know ... only an idiot would do that! However it could (will) happen. How do I disable the power liftgate? If I can will it operate manually? Yes I checked the owners manual.

Can you set the opening height low enough on the liftgate to avoid contact with your Kayaks? I have mine set lower than it's full opening capability to avoid hitting the garage door when the liftgate is being opened.

I did. It gives me couple inches clearance. Still makes me nervous. I would like the option of manual only. Pulling the fuse didn't allow me to unlock the hatch.

We load expensive kayaks on our 18 GT and I'm worried that one of us will inadvertently hit the power lift opener. I know ... only an idiot would do that! However it could (will) happen. How do I disable the power liftgate? If I can will it operate manually? Yes I checked the owners manual.

No you can't disable it.

you cannot, however, i have mine set to a reduced height when i have my yaks on board. I open it just enough to get my hand under it with power and then go manual from there.

Or stick the kayaks in the boot and drive around with the tailgate open :p

You could try disconnecting them and I think they will hold themselves up on the drive screw but if not, take them off and put gas struts on. The plug is under the side trim.

Attachments

• POWER LIFTGATE (PLG) DRIVE UNIT REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    400 KB · Views: 296
Just get shittier kayaks:))

I know! Eddyline Kayaks made some money off us this year! We've been out every day and adjusting the lift gate to stop lower works fine. We have 4 or 5 inches of clearance.

Just don't open the boot when the kayaks are on the roof.

Put all goods in the boot before hand and then after you take the kayaks off the roof, then open the tailgate.

Seems all this effort to disable power tailgate when there are much easier and practical solutions out there.

I found this thread as I also wanted to do this to stop anyone from accidentally opening the tailgate when the trailer hitch bike rack is attached. I know the Chevy Equinox has the option to disable it totally. Setting the CX-5 to stop it at a certain height only works after the midway point which is too high for me.

My solution was to remove the fuse for the tailgate, its fuse 16 (20A) under the steering wheel. Not an ideal solution but it means that nobody can forget the bikes are there and accidentally hit them.

I really don't want a power lift rear gate. A costly item that I may use 2 to 3 times a year if it rains. A very costly item to repair with all the attending mechanisms. I have helped repair several of them when the vehicles got to be 5 years old or ~ 60k MILES. Ed

Umm... I use it several times a week.

Besides if they weren't made to last multiple uses then why have them (uhm)

I am sure masses of lawsuits would exist if they didn't work for quite a long time.

Back