Software bug?

:
CX5
Hi Guys,

Nice to be here with people smart enough to own a CX5. I purchased my CX5 a few weeks ago. I love it. There's one glitch that puzzles me. Whether I have set the active driving display to Auto or Manual, when I start the vehicle each morning, the display is at least 30 to 40 percent dimmer than it should be. When I go to the relevant menu and select either Auto or Manual, immediately the display comes up to the level that it should be at, and it will typically stay at that level for the rest of the day, but I know that when I start the vehicle again the next morning, I'll have to go to the menu again and select either Auto or Manual. Is this a known software bug?

Thanks.

Check with your dealer. See if there's a firmware upgrade that addresses it or if they know how to set it so it stays where it should be.

Hi Guys,

Nice to be here with people smart enough to own a CX5. (killit) I purchased my CX5 a few weeks ago. I love it. There's one glitch that puzzles me. Whether I have set the active driving display to Auto or Manual, when I start the vehicle each morning, the display is at least 30 to 40 percent dimmer than it should be. When I go to the relevant menu and select either Auto or Manual, immediately the display comes up to the level that it should be at, and it will typically stay at that level for the rest of the day, but I know that when I start the vehicle again the next morning, I'll have to go to the menu again and select either Auto or Manual. Is this a known software bug?

Thanks.

The active driving display settings are tied to the key fob. If you switch keyfobs, it will revert to whatever was saved to that particular fob. If I accidentally grab my wife's keys, her settings are drastically different than mine since I am about 1 foot taller.

But I've only been using one fob? I'll mention the issue when I book it in for its first service, but it's not a big deal. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Then that is weird!!

It really is. I have the manual setting set at 50 percent brightness which is where the auto setting is set, and yet the CX5 produces a setting of about 25 percent at start up each morning. Who knows. (uhm)

Where are you when you start the car? The lighting is linked to the light sensor. If you*re in a garage, it will dim down.

Where are you when you start the car? The lighting is linked to the light sensor. If you*re in a garage, it will dim down.

Well, the car is in a parking space outside the house, but it is 7am......so although it's not dark, the sun is just coming up. But what I find interesting is that if I select Manual, it goes to the correct brightness, and if I then set Auto, it also selects 50 percent as the value. So why wouldn't it go back to the dim value when I select auto if it's a sensor issue? I've literally just used the 'Reset' option in the menu, so I'll see if that has any effect.

Does it brighten up in a certain amount of time if you do nothing? Is it only in the morning? I'm guessing too that it's tied to the headlights status.

The auto mode is linked to the lights, not the display brightness. Try turning the sidelights on then adjust the brightness with the rotary dial on the instrument cluster. In the daytime with the lights on, the display will dim when you go under a bridge and brighten when you come out independently of the lights being on.

The auto mode is linked to the lights, not the display brightness. Try turning the sidelights on then adjust the brightness with the rotary dial on the instrument cluster. In the daytime with the lights on, the display will dim when you go under a bridge and brighten when you come out independently of the lights being on.

So if I leave it set to manual, this problem should go away. I'll experiment with it. Thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong but I've done this and it is for the dashboard brightness (& MZD Connect brightness from memory) only and not Active Driving Display (ADD).

ADD brightness settings is in MZD connect.

(hmm)

Last edited:
Quick side note here...Reviewed the Smilies and cleaned up our selection a bit (as well as this thread)...Now back to your regularly scheduled program (aka please keep this thread on topic)...Thanks!

But I've only been using one fob? I'll mention the issue when I book it in for its first service, but it's not a big deal. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

I think it doesn't matter, even if you're using one single keyfob, you still have to reprogram the keyfob everytime you change the ADD settings (brightness, position, etc.) Just pretend that you've altered the memory seat, and use the Set button to reprogram (on left of seat), followed quickly with Unlock on keyfob. Next time you start the car, the head up display settings will be just fine.

Multiple keyfobs would complicate further. I never grabbed my wife's keyfob by mistake, but whenever she happens to approach and unlock the car before I do, from passenger side, then the car would inadvertently pick up her ADD settings.

Correct me if I am wrong but I've done this and it is for the dashboard brightness (& MZD Connect brightness from memory) only and not Active Driving Display (ADD).

ADD brightness settings is in MZD connect.

(hmm)
Yes I read it wrong I think.

Back