2017~2024 Possibly buying CX-5...

Catmom

:
CX-5
Currently I have a Ford C-Max hybrid crossover, which for the most part I love - it never got the respect it deserves IMO. 45mpg! I will probably run out the extended warranty (or trade it in next time I'm staring down a $1,000 bill for new tires) but I'm starting to look at what's out there as a replacement. Sadly, most hybrids are underpowered, and finding another 188hp crossover like the C-Max, which is being discontinued, is not looking good. (And Ford has ticked me off, but that's another story.) I'm looking at crossovers that get at least decent mpg.

So the other day I'm driving along minding my own business when I find myself behind this pretty red CX-5, which got me to doing some research. However, I have some questions and didn't want to just tag onto someone else's thread. :)

I live in North Carolina and it gets hilly around here. I occasionally drive up into the mountains. Has anyone had any issues with power in mountainous terrain? With the throttling down of power to conserve fuel I'm concerned it will cause the car to have real issues making up those mountain roads. Or would you just leave it in Sport mode in that case?

We get a snow a couple of times a year, but nothing compared to states up north. I can get around fine with a FWD and have the option to work from home if the weather gets bad. Is it worth buying AWD over FWD just for the resale value?

I was hoping that the new plant in Alabama would be putting out a hybrid crossover but it looks like it will be a new CX-7 instead. No mention of a hybrid version I can find. :(

Thanks in advance for the help.

Currently I have a Ford C-Max hybrid crossover, which for the most part I love - it never got the respect it deserves IMO. 45mpg! I will probably run out the extended warranty (or trade it in next time I'm staring down a $1,000 bill for new tires) but I'm starting to look at what's out there as a replacement. Sadly, most hybrids are underpowered, and finding another 188hp crossover like the C-Max, which is being discontinued, is not looking good. (And Ford has ticked me off, but that's another story.) I'm looking at crossovers that get at least decent mpg.

So the other day I'm driving along minding my own business when I find myself behind this pretty red CX-5, which got me to doing some research. However, I have some questions and didn't want to just tag onto someone else's thread. :)

I live in North Carolina and it gets hilly around here. I occasionally drive up into the mountains. Has anyone had any issues with power in mountainous terrain? With the throttling down of power to conserve fuel I'm concerned it will cause the car to have real issues making up those mountain roads. Or would you just leave it in Sport mode in that case?

We get a snow a couple of times a year, but nothing compared to states up north. I can get around fine with a FWD and have the option to work from home if the weather gets bad. Is it worth buying AWD over FWD just for the resale value?

I was hoping that the new plant in Alabama would be putting out a hybrid crossover but it looks like it will be a new CX-7 instead. No mention of a hybrid version I can find. :(

I love the AWD in the cx5. Get it.
The cx5 does just fine in steep terrain. It wont have issues. Sport mode is stupid imo. It's similar to tow mode in a truck but also increases throttle sensitivity. I've never wished my 2015 had it.
Wait until the 2019 RAV4 hybrid hits, and cross shop it. It's worth the $1k hit in tires (why so damn much?) To make a good decision you wont possibly regret for years.

Last edited:
Not sure where you live but we are always in the Pisgah region and the CX-5 does fine. The engine is not a V-8 but it gets the job done. I get a solid 26 MPG overall. For some reason, my winter gas mileage is ~25 mpg and my summer gas mileage is 27 mpg. I live in a warm climate so it most likely is the gas.

The AWD is not noticeable - which is a good thing. Just does its job. I would get the AWD as resale is higher.

I concur with Unobtanium that you should wait for all-new 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid which features a class-best 41% thermal efficiency 2.5L Dynamic Force I4 with 208/215 net hp (155/160 kW). The non-hybrid version 2019 RAV4 also features 40% thermal efficiency 2.5L Dynamic Force I4 with 203/206 hp and Direct Shift 8-speed automatic transmission which will be the most fuel efficient non-hybrid compact CUV in the US.

Keep in mind that RAV4 Hybrid won't be as fuel efficient as your Ford C-Max Hybrid due to its heavier weight.

If you really need a new CUV right now and like the looks of 2018 Mazda CX-5, and I originally planned to get one earlier, watch out the cylinder deactivation feature Mazda suddenly added for 2018 MY. IMO due to the history of this feature with bad reputation, I wouldn't keep a vehicle with such feature too long.

$1,000 for a new set of tires needed for your C-Max? No, get a set of cheapest and excellent name-brand tire such as Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/50R17 98Y which costs you only $78.31 each at the Tire Rack. Wait for 2019 RAV4 which should be out in coming fall and compare.

The CX-5 does fine on hills, and before I made the purchase I was worried about that as well. I drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and going up the mountain was not a problem. There are long stretches of uphill climbs and it didn't struggle at all. I do use sport mode to keep the rev higher when doing these long distance drives and I got about 29mpg for that 240'ish mile trip. Mine is just fwd so not sure how awd will do since they're a bit slower (probably due to more weight from awd?). But yeah I think you should wait for the 2019 rav4 hybrid to come out and see how you like that compared to the CX-5. Good luck with your car hunt =)

The CX-5 does fine on hills, and before I made the purchase I was worried about that as well. I drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and going up the mountain was not a problem. There are long stretches of uphill climbs and it didn't struggle at all. I do use sport mode to keep the rev higher when doing these long distance drives and I got about 29mpg for that 240'ish mile trip. Mine is just fwd so not sure how awd will do since they're a bit slower (probably due to more weight from awd?). But yeah I think you should wait for the 2019 rav4 hybrid to come out and see how you like that compared to the CX-5. Good luck with your car hunt =)

Does it use 5th and 6th gear in sport mode on that long a drive ?

Cmax gets no respect because it deserves no respect. Looks like a pig turning radius of a submarine, Ford having to correct their EPA#s many times, that trunk which is a joke. I dont know what you did to get 45 but thats impressive. Its an ok car at about 30-35% off msrp which is what Ford hybrids are selling now.

I would take a CX5 over a CVT in hilly terrains. CVTs are good for steady state driving and save fuel. Most CVTs are awful on hills - drove a rental corolla and a rental crosstek XV up in the mountains between Harrisburg PA and State College. Not impressed, gets confused and hangs at 4000 rpm on slopes downward - Mazda 6AT is amazing in this regard - rarely i find it in wrong gear. If you drive alone CX5 has enough beans to get going.

AWD will pay for itself in resale - about 60% of the value back so in the end it will end up costing you a few hundred dollars.

Hybrid : I feel for you - mazda has only the Atenza hybrid in Japan and Aus markets. I do not think you will see any hybrid soon, you might see an EV with range extender in 2022 or so. You have the slow Kia and Yota hybrid, check out Rogue too - never rated their hybrids. You can get a very old Tribute Hybrid and its rare to find it, but it is a very capable albeit outdated car. If you want a filler till you get a hybrid - I would not hesitate getting an older ford / Mazda hybrid - they have a lot of Toyota tech going under the hood.

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter on the AWD question. After 5 years, what is it going to get you in resale? An extra $300? At the very best. How much did it cost you for that 1-2 mpg less in MPG over 5 years? AND you're in NC? You do NOT need AWD. If you were in Cleveland? Detroit? Buffalo? Yes. Snow 'a couple times a year'? Save. Your. Money.

My math says that over 5 years / 75,000 miles of driving, if the AWD cost you the 2 MPG for EVERY mile, it would increase the fuel consumption 179 Gallons. Or roughly 2 more tanks of fuel a year.

I'll join you in you in your dissent 7. Unless there is a high demand for AWD in your area and a shortage of supply or an oversupply of FWD and no demand, it's not going make a lot of difference. The extra resale value is offset by the higher initial cost and some additional maintenance cost (if you keep it long enough). I had an AWD Escape for 14 years and although I have noticed its absence on a couple of occasions, I can honestly say I don't miss it. But don't think I'm dissing on AWD. If you want it, Mazda's AWD is a very good system, but I wouldn't base that decision on resale value.

@Mazdude: $1,300 for AWD + $75 for 2 tanks of gas + making sure you rotate those tires religiously because if they get out of spec too much you can't just replace one or 2...nope it's all 4... = MAYBE an extra $300 at resale time?

Resale is also market driven: up here in the North, you'd have a harder time selling a FWD because AWD is much more important here. AWD isn't going to be a huge selling point down south so I'd bet resale is even less there then it is here (I'm in Cleveland).

/edit/ Like Brillo said: extra maint. My first AWD so I'm not even sure I am using the right term, but I have to get my differential oil /transfer case or something or other changed every 30K... there's another cost.
If I lived in Cincy or anywhere 'souther' I'd not get AWD.

Last edited:
@Mazdude: $1,300 for AWD + $75 for 2 tanks of gas + making sure you rotate those tires religiously because if they get out of spec too much you can't just replace one or 2...nope it's all 4... = MAYBE an extra $300 at resale time?

Resale is also market driven: up here in the North, you'd have a harder time selling a FWD because AWD is much more important here. AWD isn't going to be a huge selling point down south so I'd bet resale is even less there then it is here (I'm in Cleveland).

/edit/ Like Brillo said: extra maint. My first AWD so I'm not even sure I am using the right term, but I have to get my differential oil /transfer case or something or other changed every 30K... there's another cost.
If I lived in Cincy or anywhere 'souther' I'd not get AWD.

Not true. First, in WNC where hes talking about,AWD is everywhere! The main car is a Scoobaru,and every hippie tree hugger has one. Second,theres absolutely zero need to change the differential oil every 30k Miles. Thirdly,AWD or not,you should be rotating your tires every oil change,so no difference there. Fourthly, the AWD is a selling feature that pays off here. Lastly,we may not get a lot of snow,but we get a lot of ice,which is worse,and the roads arent the greatest nor prepared for it the best either.

I wouldnt even consider a CX-5 without AWD.

Good luck on your search OP,and I concur,check out the 2019 RAV4,and shop around. Buy those decent cheap tires for that crap Ford,and be patient,the car you desire will come to you...

May not get a whole lot of snow here in Charlotte but we do get a lot of good gawd a mighty storms in the spring and summer with the associated torrential rain. I sure am glad I got AWD. No regrets at all. Oh, 28,000 miles on my 16 GT and not a single warranty issue.

Last edited:
May not get a whole lot of snow here in Charlotte but we do get a lot of good gawd a mighty strorms in the spring and summer with the associated torrential rain. I sure am glad I got AWD. No regrets at all. Oh, 28,000 miles on my 16 GT and not a single warranty issue.

Yea,those too...

Rubber is more important then drivetrain in the rain. But I will defer to you NC'ers on icy roads.

Checked on the fluid I'm thinking of. It is the rear differential which will be changed every 30 on mine. Correction: this is apparently not an AWD thing. It's because I do many short trips.

Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will wait and see what the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid looks like. Sounds like nobody's getting anywhere near the mpg IRL with the CX-5 that's promised on the sticker. :( I'll keep it on the list, and depending on what the Rav4 has to offer might take a second look.

I am wondering what data are you getting the $300 figure from?

For my data, I used KBB for an identical 30,000 mile 2016 CX-5, only difference being with and without AWD, and the KBB price difference for trade in value was $746 higher for the AWD version, and the Private Party selling price was $889 higher for the AWD version.

I also tried doing the same thing but using NADA guides for the FWD vs AWD trade in and Retail differences, and I got $875 more for AWD at TRADE, and $900 more for AWD at retail.

Last edited:
5 years loan bro. Most people get 5 years loans. You're giving me resale on a 16. Compare a 13 with AWD vs FWD.

5 years loan bro. Most people get 5 years loans. You're giving me resale on a 16. Compare a 13 with AWD vs FWD.

As you requested, I went older, and it is still $700-860 value difference between FWD and AWD...

If you have to drive in any foul weather or snow, here is a good video to observe the difference between FWD and AWD.

Last edited:
Back