Model 2018 - GT w/ Tech - Cracked windshield (bang)

Ghostsniper

:
2009 M3 GT (White-Hatchback), 2018 CX5 GT AWD (White-Tech Pkg)
So yesterday as I was coming home, my car which is just about 4 months and 2 weeks old and 9,420 km had finally gotten what I feared the most, a cracked windshield. For the records, I had my Mazda 3 2009 since 2010 and over 300,000 km and still have the original windshield with no crack whatsoever and I drove that very aggressively. Heck, I remember being pounded by big stone and heavy snow falling off trucks and survive it with barely any scratch.

Screen Frame from the dashboard video. Notice how far I am from the car in front of me. (Marked with red circle)

Now with CX 5, no matter how safely I tried driving it like a granny, not going over 3k on rpm and with just about 60-70kmh with a distance of over 100 feet of the car in front of me and a tiny flying stone hit a spot and cracked it badly like an iPhone being drop from waist down. I just don't know what to say. Just trying to keep calm.

So I need to assess my situation and determine what to do now. I called my dealer and told me to bring it in to get it checked. I just want to be prepared before going into the stealership to see if this is repairable or the windshield need to be replaced? The cracked measure more than 10 inches. If this is repairable, guess that would be the great but if need to be replaced.

What should be I aware of? I remember reading Safelite is a good choice. I have the 2018 GT with Tech Package. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
not sure what your insurance is like in canada but in the state of MA here in the US, windshield damage is replaced for free by insurance companies. one thing to keep in mind, the CX5 uses a thicker windshield to reduce NVH

Windshield needs to be replaced.

Sorry Man... (gah)

This is typically handled by insurance company/glass company.

You might try to go with RainX to do a temp fix or try a professional windshield repair. I would not go with Mazda windshield a 2nd time. Go with some aftermarket alternative - it may or may not be available for GT with Hud.
You dont have the HUD right? Oh it seems you do. That sucks.
From your pics it seems it was a bad hit. I would not fault this to a design issue with Mazda - more like bad luck.

Bad luck! Not even remotely repairable.
But if you have comprehensive coverage from a good insurance company, it should be covered.
Perhaps the best reason to carry comprehensive.

not sure what your insurance is like in canada but in the state of MA here in the US, windshield damage is replaced for free by insurance companies. one thing to keep in mind, the CX5 uses a thicker windshield to reduce NVH

That's nice. Over here in CO it falls into the Comprehensive coverage. Cracked windshields are so common to get every single year here that they certainly don't do them for free. I dropped mine down to a $100 deductible as that had little cost difference vs. $1000 deductible.

So color me impressed that my factory windshield in my Gen 1 (the one everyone complains about the windshield on) lasted just shy of 4 years. Though I will say it did seem to chip easy, but I was quick to get any chips repaired. The aftermarket windshield I replaced it with does seem to be stronger as I don't have any chips in it after almost a year.

Last edited:
Man that sucks OP.

Now to guess what car that is up ahead. Toyota Matrix?

I dread this happening to me as I drive a 2017 CX-5 w/ HUD and heated wiper rests. I'm sure a proper replacement would cost an arm and a leg.

My question is: why are you trying to keep the car under 3,000 RPM's? That does not compute. Your car is designed to be capable of hitting 6,000+ RPM. It's not hurting anything to go over 3,000 RPMs. Stop that.

My question is: why are you trying to keep the car under 3,000 RPM's? That does not compute. Your car is designed to be capable of hitting 6,000+ RPM. It's not hurting anything to go over 3,000 RPMs. Stop that.

+1

I had several windshields replaced in MA and paid for by the insurance company. Same insurance company, but now we live in VA. The insurance company paid for a patch job. Depends on the state your in?

Well I like to drive taking my time and trying to see how low my gas mileage would get me. So far my max I can get with daily commute would last me about 550km 60/40 city/highway on mild traffic morning and heavy traffic in afternoon. Beside as much as I would like to go over 6k rpm, wouldn't be able to do it since its always traffic whenever I am on the road and with Gas prices at $1.40/L CDN for regular (which is $4.09 USD per gallon), I don't like to hit the gas down to 6k rpm only to brake 2 seconds later, the brake pad will suffer alot. I live in GTA area, Mississauga ... Traffic is one of the worst in North America. Over an hour of commute on a 25km distance.

My insurance has a comprehensive deductible of $300 and the rest is covered. I already contacted them but I need to let them know what type of windshield to be replaced it with so my HUD would still work. The insurance is Economical https://www.economical.com/en/claims/make-an-auto-claim ...

Last edited:
⋯ My insurance has a comprehensive deductible of $300 and the rest is covered. I already contacted them but I need to let them know what type of windshield to be replaced it with so my HUD would still work.
Sorry to hear your windshield situation. Yes yours definitely can't be repaired. I had replaced my windshield once and it's still due for second replacement both from hail damage (no other vehicles parked nearby suffered windshield damage in both situations). One thing to remember if the total replacement cost of your windshield is not high, you may be better off paying it with your own expense or your insurance premium could be higher next year.

Since you have HUD and heated elements at the bottom of your more expensive "acoustic" windshield, I'm curious how much it would cost for an OEM and I believe there's no aftermarket windshield available. The OEM windshield of my 2016 CX-5 with Tech costs $683.01 with additional $200 for labor!

Car insurance companies rarely raise your premium from 1 incident.

I had several windshields replaced in MA and paid for by the insurance company. Same insurance company, but now we live in VA. The insurance company paid for a patch job. Depends on the state your in?

Interesting. I knew it varied by state. Do you have the same level of comprehensive coverage that you did in MA?

It's actually very rare for an insurance company in the US to replace broken glass for free. 99% of the time the deductible will be higher than the cost to replace the broken glass. I understand some insurance companies have offer an option to have glass replaced "for free", but it still involves paying an addition fees on your insurance premium (not free).

Back