Stolen CX5 recovered

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
Some lady stole a CX5 in Venice, Cali and days later was still inexplicably driving the vehicle relatively close to where it was stolen from. The husband, on a bike, saw the vehicle and forced her to stop. She then proceeded to attempt to get away but a youtuber with millions of subscribers had his phone ready and recorded her trying to take off. Good Samaritans followed her and stopped her from escaping and the police arrested her.

I have to wonder why someone would steal a car then proceed to drive it near where it was stolen. Glad to see a CX5 return to the rightful owner and justice be served!

https://jalopnik.com/cyclist-finds-wifes-stolen-car-in-traffic-as-driver-run-1826192605

Accomplice with a transceiver close to the victim would be my guess... But what do I know...

Probably left the car running.. numbnuts around here do it all the time then show up on the local car pages with a " my car just got stolen lookout for it" post

It is easy to do with a pair of available transceivers that act like a range extender for the key fob. The frequency that the fob works on is not a big secret. The guy stands by your car with transceiver in his pocket. His girl stands right by you at McDonalds dine - in line. Her transceiver picks up your fob's proximity signal and sends it over to the jerk by your car. His device now acts like a real fob, the car unlocks the door and can be started. It doesn't need the fob to drive off the lot after that. Back at the headquarters some serious programming takes place with new fobs.
I recently saw a video from Russia where they demonstrated the technique by stealing Tesla. If they can do it there, anyone here can.

It is easy to do with a pair of available transceivers that act like a range extender for the key fob. The frequency that the fob works on is not a big secret. The guy stands by your car with transceiver in his pocket. His girl stands right by you at McDonalds dine - in line. Her transceiver picks up your fob's proximity signal and sends it over to the jerk by your car. His device now acts like a real fob, the car unlocks the door and can be started. It doesn't need the fob to drive off the lot after that. Back at the headquarters some serious programming takes place with new fobs.
I recently saw a video from Russia where they demonstrated the technique by stealing Tesla. If they can do it there, anyone here can.

this lady was driving the stolen car in the same area it was stolen and her getaway plan was to trot away around a corner. the car was probably left running and she just hopped inside.

Back