'4WD System Inspection Required'..uh oh

:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
Well I thought this maybe some bs thing (that arose on start up immediately following swapping cars with my wife for a day to get her snows off) but tires are pretty evenly worn, dis/reconnecting battery for a bit didn't help either then yesterday I noticed I was getting some front wheel chirp on a few aggressive moves that I've never noticed in the past. Final test was to turn nannies off stop on my steep driveway and gun it..brought back old TL days- ~10' of straight FWD burnout rears doing what sure felt like nothing. She swears she didn't but did she break my car?? This ain't gonna be cheap is it? Anyone experience this?

turned off the nannies by the button or the fuse? check abs/dsc fuses (1 big 30a and a small one forgot amp)

No I didn't pull any fuses just buttons but either way a 10' burnout in on dry pavement in an unmodded awd cx-5 probably shouldn't happen unless somethings pretty fk'd..guessing.

If you turned off TCS, that's not surprising. What happens when you do that with TCS on?
I've also had a chirp or two over time when flooring it from a stop, especially with the wheels turned.
Has the warning stayed on constantly?
It's a 14? How many miles?

Well I thought this maybe some bs thing (that arose on start up immediately following swapping cars with my wife for a day to get her snows off) but tires are pretty evenly worn, dis/reconnecting battery for a bit didn't help either then yesterday I noticed I was getting some front wheel chirp on a few aggressive moves that I've never noticed in the past. Final test was to turn nannies off stop on my steep driveway and gun it..brought back old TL days- ~10' of straight FWD burnout rears doing what sure felt like nothing. She swears she didn't but did she break my car?? This ain't gonna be cheap is it? Anyone experience this?

My light resulted in a $2700 bill. Mazda ate it, thankfully. Keep us posted...

No I didn't pull any fuses just buttons but either way a 10' burnout in on dry pavement in an unmodded awd cx-5 probably shouldn't happen unless somethings pretty fk'd..guessing.

Your rear diff has "gone open". The clutches are permanently retracted. This could be for many/any reason really, but I am betting the diff is done. The whole assembly must be changed. It costs about $1800 in parts and another $8-1K in labor.

If you turned off TCS, that's not surprising. What happens when you do that with TCS on?
I've also had a chirp or two over time when flooring it from a stop, especially with the wheels turned.
Has the warning stayed on constantly?
It's a 14? How many miles?

AWD CX5's don'y lay rubber. They hook and go. His rear diff is inop for whatever reason.

Didn't try the burnout with tcs on but chirping was with it on yes. Its messing with me..typically right on start up within 5-10sec, Sunday took almost 10 miles to come on low throttle cruise @35-40.
Yeah 2014 GT w/82k

Yup, no way. But I can make mine chirp like tweety bird.

Must be your roads/tires. Some roads are super slick, like San Antonio in the summer. Those roads are insane. I could spin new tires on my WS.6 in 3rd gear there. It was bone stock.

Have you checked for oil in the diff? Or been running through flood water?

⋯ Yeah 2014 GT w/82k
Have you ever checked or changed gear lubricant in front transfer case and rear differential? Many CX-5 owners found the gear lub in rear differential is low from factory when they're changing gear lub the first time. I agree with Unobtanium your rear differential clutch pack is now permanently open for whatever reasons. The best case scenario is some bad connections to the rear diff clutch pack, but anything else such as low gear lub or water in there freezing up can be costly!

Have you ever checked or changed gear lubricant in front transfer case and rear differential? Many CX-5 owners found the gear lub in rear differential is low from factory when they're changing gear lub the first time. I agree with Unobtanium your rear differential clutch pack is now permanently open for whatever reasons. The best case scenario is some bad connections to the rear diff clutch pack, but anything else such as low gear lub or water in there freezing up can be costly!

Unless it's a wire un-plugged, they replace the whole unit. They did $2700 in replacement on my vehicle because they originally thought a solenoid was burned out somehow.

BTW I have an extra transfer case (not rear diff) about 55k on it if you end up needing a replacement. I'll let it go cheaply I'm just sitting on it. Used rear differntial from LKQ online is $500 or less, I doubt you'd pay over $1200 total unless you go to a dealer.

^^Thanks but thankfully nothing mechanical..mice chewed through wires back by the rear diff. Have to go back (they had to order a new harness) but they said less than 300 total, didn't charge me a dime to diagnose (although I'm sure its baked in) but still driving away for 0 dollars today was nice. Said its safe to drive but I am operating as a fwd vehicle until its repaired as confirmed by my smoky driveway burnout. Thought I'd see marginally better mileage (which might have lead me put this off until the fall) but no ~27 on my 235/65-17 wintersports (running them out..finally!)

Last edited:
I'm sure..2nd time those little bastards got me- first time they chewed through the drain pipe for the sunroof in my old CR-V..right around the 5yr mark too. I Didn't believe it as I just had the windshield replaced and certain they just dicked it up. They were so sure it wasn't they actually fixed it for me in about 20 minutes to shut me up! This time it just had to be immediately after wifey had my car for 2 days, just had to fxxxng be. Sometimes I really think God just likes messing w/me.

^^Thanks but thankfully nothing mechanical..mice chewed through wires back by the rear diff.
My best-case scenario ⋯ ;)

The heavy drive shaft is still turning, which means your disabled AWD will save very minimal gas for you if any.

I'm sure..2nd time those little bastards got me- first time they chewed through the drain pipe for the sunroof in my old CR-V..right around the 5yr mark too. I Didn't believe it as I just had the windshield replaced and certain they just dicked it up. They were so sure it wasn't they actually fixed it for me in about 20 minutes to shut me up! This time it just had to be immediately after wifey had my car for 2 days, just had to fxxxng be. Sometimes I really think God just likes messing w/me.

Wash your driveway with vinegar when possible, test on a hidden patch first. Mine was asphalt so I made no harm. Don't know on concrete driveways.
Vinegar will keep most creepers away, including cats that love sleeping over cars and certain mother in laws.

Back