Something I noticed while using Adaptive Cruise.

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
I've had my '17 CX-5 GT for a year but just recently experienced something while using Adaptive Cruise.

I had the ACC set at 70 mph and was exiting onto a turnpike. The exit is a right-inclined turn with an embankment wall that- at one point in the exit- is straight ahead about 125 feet. At this point my CX-5 slowed down to 65 all on its own. I'm wondering if the Adaptive Cruise detected the embankment or if the G-Vecoring control was kicking in based on speed and steering angle. Maybe a combination of both? Anyway, it didn't startle me or slow down abruptly. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Yes, the adaptive cruise will pick up objects ahead, so a curve with an embankment, jersey wall, or guard rail could cause the car to slow.

Yes, the adaptive cruise will pick up objects ahead, so a curve with an embankment, jersey wall, or guard rail could cause the car to slow.
Although the car will pick up objects ahead I don't believe that it picks up (or slows for) stationary objects, only vehicles (at this point). Also, my car has slowed in turns with the cruise on, when there are no guard rails or embankments to speak of. I've noticed this as well since I drive curvy roads alot. I'm not sure what system is in play, but the car definitely will slow about +/- 5mph into a corner, more if you turn the wheel sharply.

Although the car will pick up objects ahead I don't believe that it picks up (or slows for) stationary objects, only vehicles (at this point). Also, my car has slowed in turns with the cruise on, when there are no guard rails or embankments to speak of. I've noticed this as well since I drive curvy roads alot. I'm not sure what system is in play, but the car definitely will slow about +/- 5mph into a corner, more if you turn the wheel sharply.

That sounds like G-Vectoring to me.

Although the car will pick up objects ahead I don't believe that it picks up (or slows for) stationary objects, only vehicles (at this point).

This has been stated in this group numerous times, but it is incorrect.

Yes. I think you're correct. If you have Adaptive Cruise I think the CX-5 will come to a complete stop on it's own, whether it be another vehicle or brick wall ahead.

Last edited:

I’d be interested in knowing why that is incorrect. Can you refer us to your source? Everything I’ve read and seen indicates the system needs to ‘believe’ you are following another moving vehicle to operate correctly.

The system detects stationary objects as well. It has reduced speed for me when passing close objects or approaching sweeping curves on our roads.

The system does indeed detect stationary objects. I use it in stop-and-go traffic all the time. When approaching a stopped car, the system gracefully slows down and comes to a complete stop.

The system does indeed detect stationary objects. I use it in stop-and-go traffic all the time. When approaching a stopped car, the system gracefully slows down and comes to a complete stop.
But that's a totally different system. There's the Smart City Braking and then there's the Radar Cruise. I know they work together, but they are two different things. I don't believe the radar cruize will pick up stationary objects, but if there's evidence out there to the contrary I'd love to read it.

I’d be interested in knowing why that is incorrect. Can you refer us to your source? Everything I’ve read and seen indicates the system needs to ‘believe’ you are following another moving vehicle to operate correctly.

But that's a totally different system. There's the Smart City Braking and then there's the Radar Cruise. I know they work together, but they are two different things. I don't believe the radar cruize will pick up stationary objects, but if there's evidence out there to the contrary I'd love to read it.

It sounds like you're worrying too much about terminology, and not thinking enough about functionality.
One might say that MRCC transitions into SCBS at lower speeds. That's the biggest distinction that the manual makes: speed.
There are youtube videos of the cars stopping when encountering stationary objects. Sorry I don't have links for you, but a search will find them eventually.

It sounds like you're worrying too much about terminology, and not thinking enough about functionality.
One might say that MRCC transitions into SCBS at lower speeds. That's the biggest distinction that the manual makes: speed.
There are youtube videos of the cars stopping when encountering stationary objects. Sorry I don't have links for you, but a search will find them eventually.
I'll agree to disagree on this one.

The only reason I say that is because the SCBS does not work at highway speeds(says so in the manual & i've personally experienced it work only at a speed of less than 5Mph). So if someone is travelling at highway speeds, with the adaptive cruise on AND expects that to brake for them if it "sees" a stationary object like a wall, that person (IMO) is in for a crash. The SCBS works at low speed ONLY, that's why it's called CITY brake support. The original point of discussion was will adaptive cruise see objects in the roadway that are not vehicles, that are stationary and slow to avoid them. I maintain it will not, based on Mazdas own literature. If its a car in front of you slowing, then yes it will slow to a stop and then go again, but those are two very different things.

According to my dealer, and my experience; the system switches between the two functions as your speed changes. At highway speeds, the active radar does detect stationary object and will slow the vehicle down. Once the system slows to 40mph (havent tested, but was told) it switches to smart city; which will bring you to a complete stop.

I was driving on the highway at 78mph and the vehicle recognized an upcoming turn with barriers and proceeded to reduce speed to about 60 as i went through the turn.

So if someone is travelling at highway speeds, with the adaptive cruise on AND expects that to brake for them if it "sees" a stationary object like a wall, that person (IMO) is in for a crash.

If you're traveling at highway speeds and driving into a wall, you have bigger issues :). Seriously though, is this a valid concern in the real world? In real-world situations where vehicles come to a quick stop on the highway (sudden traffic jam), the system has performed very well for me. The system isn't designed to prevent every possible scenario.

If you're traveling at highway speeds and driving into a wall, you have bigger issues :). Seriously though, is this a valid concern in the real world? In real-world situations where vehicles come to a quick stop on the highway (sudden traffic jam), the system has performed very well for me. The system isn't designed to prevent every possible scenario.
Agreed, I prefer to rely on myself to avoid accidents anyway.

Latest posts

Back