low oil and rear diff leak on a used 2014 - risk assessment please

Desertsp

:
TBD
Looking at a 2014 CX-5 on craigslist. There are a few troubling signs in the service history, and I'm hoping you guys can help me decide whether it's worth the risk. I'm particular about the color so my options are more limited...this car looks good otherwise.

Here's the service history as provided by the current owner through verified receipts. No records are available from the first owner. Months and miles are rounded so the intervals aren't precise.

9/2013: car was manufactured and subsequently registered by first owner.

9/2016 @ 31k miles: registered to second (current) owner by a Mazda dealership.

10/2016 @ 37k miles: car was brought into Jiffy Lube for an oil change. In the comments section it says "oil not reading on dipstick", "differential service recommended $79.99" and "tire rotation service recommended"

11/2016 @ 38k: car was brought back for the tire rotation and rear differential service was done (I think they just added oil).

3/2017 @ 44k miles: another oil change. Air filter changed. Added antifreeze. New tires were also installed later this month (GDY Assurance Ultratour).

5/2017 @ 51k: another oil change. Comments include "differential housing leaks"

9/17 @ 59k: another oil change. Comments include "front main seal leaks" and "rear differential leaks". Also noticed that "universal antifreeze" is on the service description.

12/17 @ 65k: They finally take it to Mazda for the rear differential leak. Mazda's comments are "Drain plug washers leaking. Rear drive ale service. Drain axle, inspect ring and pinion, replace cover gasket refill and road test". I can ask if this was the same dealership they bought it from.

4/2017 @ 71k: Car is up for sale because the owner is moving out of the country (I verified this, they've sold their house and have a foreign sounding name). I don't suspect that they're selling the car because it's causing them problems....but you never know.

So long story short, the car had low engine oil at some point, and also a persistent rear differential leak. Would a good mechanic be able to tell me how much premature wear occurred due to these issues? If so, what do I ask the mechanic to check?

Thanks!

No oil on dipstick would be my primary concern. At this point it is hard to predict ant possible damage to main bearings, etc.
Differential leak would be secondary and minor, if the dealer determined that ring and pinion are good and the diff makes no whining noise. It comes under- filled from factory amyway. And although the diff clutch is somewhat engaged at all times, I doubt that gears themselves could be damaged, unless there was no oil there at all.
All your concerns should really be reflected in the price, and should be your bargain chips if you decide to pursue this opportunity.
Edit: Yeah, about coolant. The correct Mazda FL22 coolant is green, as is mainstream EG coolant. So most aftermarket garages would use just a "green" coolant, no brainer for them. It is unknown what will come out of the mix of Mazda and the generic coolant, but nothing too good, for sure.

Last edited:
I doubt it. All he can check is the usual things like the colour and current level of the oil and how much blow by there is. I doubt there’s anything too sinister and all I would do is check the oil every week until you can assess consumption. Typical aftermarket garage that changes long life coolant and not with the correct Mazda FL22.

Thank you both.

Yes this is a major bargaining chip....I still wouldn't buy if I can't confirm minimal excess wear though. Would expect to pay quite a bit less than blue book...

Would it be possible for the oil to be low, but not throw some kind of check engine light? What's unusual is the seller has disclosed that record with the note, showing some level of honesty, but they didn't get it looked at sooner.

Would it be possible for the oil to be low, but not throw some kind of check engine light?
Absolutely. The main purpose of CEL is to make the driver aware of emission problems, and concerns related to that.
Some cars have low oil level light and a sensor, but not CX-5, I don't think.
Some reassurance might be had conducting the used oil analysis, however, it is relatively lengthy process, and would only show something if things were really bad, ie main bearings on their way out.
If you're adventurous enough to take a plunge, change all fluids right away to start fresh, including coolant.
For how long do you intend to keep the car?

I intend to keep it a long time, 5 to 10 years or maybe longer.

Sounds like it might be a no-go...bummer because otherwise it looks it could be a good buy.

Probably the used oil analysis would need to have been done when the low oil was first discovered, right?

Honestly sometimes the oil stick can be difficult to properly read with thin oils that are at operating temp.. The only consistent readings for me are the ones taken after the car has been put away for hours.

If the dealer says they inspected ring and pinion then differential should be fine. As for oil in engine - if the owner got regular oil changes, even if oil was low it should not be a real issue.

Probably the used oil analysis would need to have been done when the low oil was first discovered, right?
That's very true, but even after time passes, the oil sample might throw quite a bit of lead off. Sure sign of the limited bearings life...

If the dealer says they inspected ring and pinion then differential should be fine. As for oil in engine - if the owner got regular oil changes, even if oil was low it should not be a real issue.
Indeed. If the thing hasn't been driven with no oil for a while... The report said no oil on dipstick, not low oil...

Yugrus, thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to take a pass on this car unless they give me a REALLY good price.

How much below KBB would you recommend shooting for? I'm thinking around $3000...sound reasonable? It also supposedly has a damaged windshield although I didn't notice in the photos (but none were closeup).

Time to start a new thread....seems like it might be worth buying newer CPO even if I'm not in love with the colors.

I don't know what to tell you on the price side. I'm in Canada, things are bit different here. But if you bargain, don't be shy of your low- ball offer, provide your reasons and show that you're firm. Bet they know it would be a tough sell, and you sound like an educated purchaser who does their due diligence. See what happens. The deal price should really reflect your risks involved. Way lower then CPO, that's for sure.

Yeah definitely FAR below CPO!

So basically, if worse came to worse with this car, I'd be looking at early engine failure and complete replacement, right?

I'd think this way. And if I'm wrong and it makes to 200k and going- good for you and exceptional value.
I don't think I've read about blown Skyactiv engines yet. Except for aftermarket turbo attempts, but that's different story.

Have you driven it yet? For any amount of a good time? Is engine smooth both at idle and accelerating? Any ticking or knocking sounds? Anything unusual?

Have you driven it yet? For any amount of a good time? Is engine smooth both at idle and accelerating? Any ticking or knocking sounds? Anything unusual?

No that's the thing. It's several hours away, so I was going to work out a deal beforehand. The seller is ok taking it into a shop of my choosing for an inspection, and I'd obviously not pay before taking it on a good long test drive. I've driven a 2016 with 22k miles and a 2014 with 60k miles, so I do have a baseline of how the engine sounds. But could even a trained ear distinguish excessive wear versus normal wear for a 60k+ mile engine?

Anything a mechanic can tell by taking off the valve cover?

Again I appreciate your help!

Desert - dont invest time chasing individual deals, I would not recommend that. Its good you are researching but time is money as well. If there are possibilities for issue - move on. In used market it is all demand and supply. So even if you overpay - you wont be doing it by thousands, merely 100s. So keep upto date knowledge and be patient. Hope you have a ride at the moment, a good car bought a month late is better than a problem one bought soon.

Anything a mechanic can tell by taking off the valve cover?

Oh, if they go that deep... prolly. 60k of pure neglect will show itself as heavy varnish or, depending on oil used, even sludge. Which is fixable, and will tell you a part of the story. I doubt there will be any flakes or shavings there.

Look up the info on how to check transmission fluid level, do that and note the color of it. Originally it is blue, but then turns translucent or brownish. If it is red- stop right there and go back home. That's wrong fluid for the tranny, you don't want to deal with that. Someone has already put wrong coolant in that thing, so you never know.

Newer or choked air filter. And cabin filter. Low coolant level? We know it is contaminated, but still. Is brake fluid pitch black, or translucent? Tires, brakes. Any rust, except for exhaust? Usual stuff, most mechanics are good with finding things, during their test drive, and on the hoist.

See if you are Ok with infotainment, to many it is quite sub-par.

Back