rust on a 2014 or 2015 CX-5?

Desertsp

:
TBD
I'm considering buying a used 2014 or 2015 CX-5 in the Touring or Grand Touring AWD trim level.

Are there any known rust issues with these? Places I should pay extra attention to during the inspection?

I can't say I've seen anything either on mine and drive through a snowy mountain pass all winter. They don't really use salt here... or in any quantity though.

Thanks everyone. I see you're all in snow states too.

Anyone out there actually gotten salt spray on your car more than a few times and did it rust anywhere?

From what I've seen and read, the Mazda's from the early 2000's were pretty rust prone. I've seen some bad rusty Mazda 3's up here that are less than 10 years old.
On the plus side, I also understand that Mazda has taken steps recently to address the problem, and newer models are supposed to be better at resisting rust.
Time will tell.

The newer Mazda vehicles go through state of the art dipping and painting like most modern cars these days. If you are in a high rust area, then further precautions may have to be taken.

I'm considering buying a used 2014 or 2015 CX-5 in the Touring or Grand Touring AWD trim level.

Are there any known rust issues with these? Places I should pay extra attention to during the inspection?

The roofline in the front, and the hood, are the only 2 places I've had to deal with rust on my 2015. I have owned the car only in the Ozarks region. Not coastal. The paint is thin, and it will rust if chipped. That's most Japanese cars though, and I even had a Chrysler do it in 1 spot where a rock hit, but I bought it used, noted it immediately, and it was from a coastal region.

I live in rural Central NY. We get a lot of snow. We use a lot of salt. Everything rusts ... except for my 14 CX5 with almost 100k miles. No rust at all.

Read this thread and you'll be the judge:

Just joined the club and question on rust

This CX-5 should be from Illinois:
Just spent 3 hours under my 3 year old CX-5. Did AT, Engine and 2x TC oil changes.

Rust level in various spots on 36 month car was tad too much. Mark this post, but in 4 season weather I don't see this version last 10 years.

If this is CA/FL type of no salt climate - all should be fine, but winter states beware.

This CX-5 is from Toronto area in Canada:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216610
View attachment 216611
View attachment 216612
View attachment 216613

Here is the underside of my car after 4 winters.

Here is comparison pictures from Southern New Hampshire:
Rust like that after a few years even with heavy use of salt I believe is unacceptable with today's coatings and materials to look worse than a car that is 13 years old is not acceptable. How can Mazda get away with this? I love how this car drives and looks but also want one that will last. Also very happy with fuel economy so far getting around 30.5MPG on my 100 mile round trip commute.

2005 toyota matrix/pontiac vibe - 225K miles driving 100 miles a day
attachment.php

View attachment 216618

2014 CX-5 (seen 2 winters) -28K miles
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216616
View attachment 216617

Honestly I don't believe Subaru would do better. And many Canadian CX-5 owners recommend rust-proofing when new.

Rustproofing & Undercoating...is it necessary?

The roofline in the front, and the hood, are the only 2 places I've had to deal with rust on my 2015. I have owned the car only in the Ozarks region. Not coastal. The paint is thin, and it will rust if chipped. That's most Japanese cars though, and I even had a Chrysler do it in 1 spot where a rock hit, but I bought it used, noted it immediately, and it was from a coastal region.

Weird.

My hood is absolutely riddled with rock chips, definitely no rust.

Here're reports about CX-5's interior rust:

Go over to Miata.net, they are finding rust all over their shinny new RF's and MX5's hidden under the seat pans. I had to replace my side mirror last month because my wife hit a mail box. When I took it off the entire inside housing was rusted out. I have replaced mirrors on 10 years old Nissans without any rust on them. Go to the dealer with a flashlight and you will find rust on the seat hardware and seat pans. How is Mazda's steel of less quality than the big 3 Japanese makes?
Yup - spots of corrosion on the floor plates of my back seat (where they fold) and on the bottom bar of my passenger seat...very concerned.
That was my post...

Illinois weather. It looked bad in some spots. Metal bracket in the middle of car where it is mounted to under-body, rear sway links - threaded part, some nuts, even galvanized ones looked very rusty. Large rust spots on lower control arm.

Hard to imagine this will look good in 5+ years.

Back