2017 CX5 Price Opinion

Headup

:
Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package
Hi Guys,
First post here and looking forward to becoming a Mazda CX-5 owner soon.

Looking for your opinions on a price offering from a dealer...

The CX5 is as follows:
- 4700 miles on it.
- Soul Red
- Grand Touring Trim with Mazda Remote Start Installed. Fully loaded EXCEPT it has no rear parking sensors.
- Theyre throwing in additional all weather floor mats (Soft factory floor mats already installed).
-Free car washes for life

Car Price is $28,717 offered by the dealer...I live in a high tax area (8.25%) so out the door price is coming out to be $31,300.

IS THIS A GOOD PRICE YOU THINK? SHould I do it? The dealer is adamant and isnt budging more but I can keep trying. THANKS!

Hi Guys,
First post here and looking forward to becoming a Mazda CX-5 owner soon.

Looking for your opinions on a price offering from a dealer...

The CX5 is as follows:
- 4700 miles on it.
- Soul Red
- Grand Touring Trim with Mazda Remote Start Installed. Fully loaded EXCEPT it has no rear parking sensors.
- Theyre throwing in additional all weather floor mats (Soft factory floor mats already installed).
-Free car washes for life

Car Price is $28,717 offered by the dealer...I live in a high tax area (8.25%) so out the door price is coming out to be $31,300.

IS THIS A GOOD PRICE YOU THINK? SHould I do it? The dealer is adamant and isnt budging more but I can keep trying. THANKS!

I believe that's a fair market value price. You can always KBB it or TrueCar it, or agree to that price if they throw in the sensors if that's something you really want.
With 4k+ miles are they classifying it as new, CPO, or used?

They are classifying it as a USED CPO which extends the bumper to bumper by one year. Not sure if this is a good deal yet..thoughts?

I think it's a good deal, fair market price for a CPO 17 is 28,8 on the low end, so the dealership is right there. But you have to decide if it's a good price for you, is the car worth that much to you? Fully loaded, premium paint color, you're not going to do better unless you find one with more miles.

The peak discount i saw on a 16 when 17 came out was 17%. Do the math. Take 15% off msrp for a loaded 17. You will get a new car, no CPO 7yr/100,000 mile warranty, may not get all dealer accessories (full loaded without rear sensors means roof rack+cargo mats+every accessory on mazda website) but can get few. Won't get remote start. I think it will be cheaper than 28.7 but may not be near your location.

The peak discount i saw on a 16 when 17 came out was 17%. Do the math. Take 15% off msrp for a loaded 17. You will get a new car, no CPO 7yr/100,000 mile warranty, may not get all dealer accessories (full loaded without rear sensors means roof rack+cargo mats+every accessory on mazda website) but can get few. Won't get remote start. I think it will be cheaper than 28.7 but may not be near your location.

Correct, I did see a marginally cheaper one similar options etc. but 200 miles away...good point though, that if theres nothing else in the area I like..I kinda need to pull the trigger with that in mind...

Cook County, Illinois...I moved a couple of weeks ago so hadnt updated my location...Cook County has teh highest sales tax in the Country...

We are right there with you in WA state. In my neighborhood it’s 10%. It varies here to there but generally it’s well over 9%.

that's a pretty good price. you say fully loaded but there's a ton of mazda accessories, are you saying it has every single one including illumination and security lug nuts on the tires? if so that's a great price then especially in soul red with the all weather mats and remote start. and as good as "free car washes for life" sounds, do NOT ever bring your car to the dealer for a wash or you'll end up with swirl marks. just wash it by hand. there's something magical about the bond you establish with your car when you detail it yourself imo. the soul red is an especially thin paint too, so do a clearcoat for sure

for reference i have a 2017 GT (non premium package) that I bought last month with 6k miles on it for 27.5k. it had no accessories besides mud flaps. mine came with a CPO warranty, out the door I was close to 30k.

OP, was this vehicle a dealer loaner? that's what mine was. the people that drove it barely played with it because it had most of the features turned off including the ever-so-helpful 3tick blinker when i first hopped into it

lastly, of course it couldn't hurt to haggle them as much as you can. at least the dealership I go to is honest with me, not sure about yours. but keep in mind mazda can't discount their cars like most other companies can and people usually pay close to sticker when buying mazda whereas dealers like honda could afford to knock a lot more off the sticker price. however, given it's a CPO 17 and they're trying to get it off the lot, you could work something out, but definitely do a KBB/truecar and make your own comparison. also check the car for any scratches or dents!

Last edited:
Do you want the 17 over the 18?

You can buy a brand new 2018 CX 5 GT with premium for around 30K with 8 miles on it. If you're spending $28.7K already, what's another 1-2K for brand new? Plus, the 18 has some great features the 17 doesn't have.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123811693-Current-selling-price-for-CX-5/page309

if you can get a 2018 GT with 8 miles on it for around 30k in AWD with premium package that is a goddamn steal.
protip: you won't find that

https://www.aldenmazda.com/new/Mazda/2018-Mazda-Mazda+CX-5-708ea66f0a0e0a6b365a3952fb5f688b.htm
you're gonna be looking at 33k for that. the thing about the 17s is you have room to haggle whereas in the 18s you do not

if you can get a 2018 GT with 8 miles on it for around 30k in AWD with premium package that is a goddamn steal.
protip: you won't find that

https://www.aldenmazda.com/new/Mazda/2018-Mazda-Mazda+CX-5-708ea66f0a0e0a6b365a3952fb5f688b.htm
you're gonna be looking at 33k for that. the thing about the 17s is you have room to haggle whereas in the 18s you do not

I saw this post by Alli below, (I also live in Seattle), and used it to my advantage when I bought my car two weeks ago (told the dealer east of Seattle that I could go to Seattle Mazda and get it for the price Alli quoted. It worked - I ended up paying $30,500 for my '18 GT with premium. I did do the $1,000 cash back and got $500 off because I already owned a Mazda, and I'll only pay a small amount of interest over 12 months or so (put big payment down). I can't remember if that included weather mats or not, but definitely no remote start like the OP mentioned.

I'll double check my paperwork.. because now I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by alli View Post
Hi, I am currently negotiating with a local dealer and am leaning towards the $1,000 customer cash rather than the APR. Does anyone know what the standard Mazda rate is? I don't want to go to the dealership and have my credit pulled without knowing this information.

By the way, the current deal I am working on is:

2018 GT w/PP
White
Rails
Lowest offer so far: $30,024

It's really hard to get much of a discount on the CX-5 in the Pacific NW

Thanks!

We paid cash for it and the tax really pinched! Next week about to spend 1000 again on a full hood and bumper wrap...

Yeah, fully loaded I meant GT with premium plus remote start and all weather floor mats...nothing more...our out the door was 31.3k..the next similarly loaded car was 200 miles away and really needed a car to get around...

The carwash is contactless...so no swirling issues there...

that's a pretty good price. you say fully loaded but there's a ton of mazda accessories, are you saying it has every single one including illumination and security lug nuts on the tires? if so that's a great price then especially in soul red with the all weather mats and remote start. and as good as "free car washes for life" sounds, do NOT ever bring your car to the dealer for a wash or you'll end up with swirl marks. just wash it by hand. there's something magical about the bond you establish with your car when you detail it yourself imo. the soul red is an especially thin paint too, so do a clearcoat for sure

for reference i have a 2017 GT (non premium package) that I bought last month with 6k miles on it for 27.5k. it had no accessories besides mud flaps. mine came with a CPO warranty, out the door I was close to 30k.

OP, was this vehicle a dealer loaner? that's what mine was. the people that drove it barely played with it because it had most of the features turned off including the ever-so-helpful 3tick blinker when i first hopped into it

lastly, of course it couldn't hurt to haggle them as much as you can. at least the dealership I go to is honest with me, not sure about yours. but keep in mind mazda can't discount their cars like most other companies can and people usually pay close to sticker when buying mazda whereas dealers like honda could afford to knock a lot more off the sticker price. however, given it's a CPO 17 and they're trying to get it off the lot, you could work something out, but definitely do a KBB/truecar and make your own comparison. also check the car for any scratches or dents!

Yes it was a dealer executive management dealer...not sure I believe the management part..but it had 4700 miles on it...and Jo setup whatsoever..had almost most safety turned off..

Back