Toll road transponder location

:
Mazda,CX-5 GT
Anybody know if the black meshy stuff on either side of the rear view mirror interferes with a toll road transponder?

Anybody know if the black meshy stuff on either side of the rear view mirror interferes with a toll road transponder?
I have mine placed on there - But mine is a sticker directly placed on the class without a plastic enclosure (Such as EZ PASS) and I have no reading issues.

I've been struggling with this question too. I'm in Illinois. I tried it behind the black meshy stuff, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Suppose the answer can often depend upon the type of your transponder design, and also, the varying locations of the sensors you encounter.

Probably best to keep experimenting to find out if it will work consistently or not in your area with your particular type of transponder.

I put my 407 ETR transponder in the upper right hand corner so that it doesn't obstruct the driver's view. Works great. I found a roll of the 3M velcro-like tape on Amazon for cheap so I was able to cut custom attachment strips. That tape allows you to take it off and and out it back again

The black dots/lines/meshy stuff around your mirror and windshield is made of a substance called frit. Frit is essentially powdered glass with a high lead content. It's melted or fused into the glass. (I worked at a TV tube manufacturing plant for 25+ years and frit is what is used to join the front and back of a CRT together.)

I have an I-Pass that I use occasionally on trips and I avoid putting my transponder on the frit so I don't take the chance to attenuate the signal. I put mine just right of the mirror, as high as possible, staying off the black. Never had a missed read so far.

One other thing ... don't try to remove frit. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than your chance of removing frit without causing damage to your windshield.(lol2)

My ez pass is placed left of the passenger side mirror just outside the mesh and never had a read issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "mesh" is a coating that is there to fill the gaps around the sun visors to block sunlight and glare. You can also see it used on cars to fade out the edges of the glass over the pillars and trim pieces so you are not looking at the internal structure of those areas of the car. I never knew it was glass, but I have always treated it as an inert coating.

I have used my ez pass on other cars over this area and never had a problem. It never blocked my transponder in the past.

Back