2015 CX-5 windshield wiper shake

davidzero256

:
ISO 2015 CX-5
Recently new owner to a 2015 touring. I changed my wiper blades to some decent rain-x beam style blades and noticed them to be very loose when I put them on. They slid right on and off. This caused the blades to wiggle/shake when wiping.

Being the crafty man that I am... I pulled the blade off, wrapped a few layers of electrical tape around the hook, and jammed it back on. Problem solved. Not sure why this was an issue in the first place. The wiper blades usually fit pretty snug.

You've obviously got the wrong blades for you CX-5. The "duct tape fix" may work for a while, until it doesn't and you wind up with the blade coming halfway off in a downpour and scratching the s*** out of your windshield.

Recently new owner to a 2015 touring. I changed my wiper blades to some decent rain-x beam style blades and noticed them to be very loose when I put them on. They slid right on and off. This caused the blades to wiggle/shake when wiping.

Being the crafty man that I am... I pulled the blade off, wrapped a few layers of electrical tape around the hook, and jammed it back on. Problem solved. Not sure why this was an issue in the first place. The wiper blades usually fit pretty snug.

Ditch those. Get some Bosch Icons...

Disagree strongly if you ever have to deal with snow. OEM's were terrible.

Edit: Nvm, just saw OP in Alabama...
Mazda OEM "hybrid" blades used on gen-1 CX-5 are fine in snow condition. It's those new "frameless" wipers with proprietary hook are having problems during winter.

Yep, I'd just get rubber inserts instead of replacing the whole blades.

If you have Costco membership go there. You get good hybrid blades for cost of avg. Inserts.
I paid 17 for good year hybrids. Pretty good. Plus no online hassle or wait

It seems that the factory Mazda wipers were pretty good.I changed them out after 2-1/2 to 3 years old.Bought new ones from the dealer.they ended up being the mazda "value line".They're OK but the originals were better.Does mazda even offer original quality wipers anymore?

Purchased Aero All-Season wiper blades. Good fitment. Only had a month so can't indicate longevity. Still have the OEM wipers and was thinking about just getting the rubber inserts. Maybe next time.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Wrong blades? I was under the impression that all blades are the same size in terms of fitment into the j hook.
With some Google help, it seems I may need to bend the j hook slightly more closed. The blades I took off were equally loose so I wouldn't say its the wiper blades.

As far as style, I have seen and heard full beam blades to be the best compared to conventional or hybrid. Not sure why you would buy anything but beam, except to save a few bucks.

If it snows here in Bama, everything shuts down. So snow isn't a worry.

The reason i went with the rain x blades... They were the only beam style wipers at the particular Wal-Mart I was at.

Last edited:
Sorry, Mr. Texas, going to have to disagree with you there...They were awful.

OP is in Alabama as you noted, and I've found aftermarket blades to die like a dog in the heat. Month or two, and they are skipping and bouncing each swipe in the rain. OEM stays supple for a year or two. Snow, all blades stuck. Get a good defroster.

If you have Costco membership go there. You get good hybrid blades for cost of avg. Inserts.
I paid 17 for good year hybrids. Pretty good. Plus no online hassle or wait

I don't have a Costco card but I'm thinking about getting one because I keep hearing about this $1.50 ��hotdog�� meal.

OP is in Alabama as you noted, and I've found aftermarket blades to die like a dog in the heat. Month or two, and they are skipping and bouncing each swipe in the rain. OEM stays supple for a year or two. Snow, all blades stuck. Get a good defroster.
My Bosch Icons work great.

Also see my previous post edit. I saw OP was in Alabama.

Back