"ATTENTION" ALL 2017/2018 CX-5 owners

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
Today I just call Mazda USA about my 4 months old 2017 cx-5. There are more than 150 rock chips in my soul red paint. Note: I DO NOT tailgate at all, I have always keep a longer distance than an 18 wheelers. After I speak to one of the representatives. I was told there are a large amount of people complaining about the paint issues on 2017/2018 cx-5, there might be a TSB if more people complain. please, people, I need your help if you have paint problems with your cx-5 call and please go file a complaint. I know a large number of people here have paint rock chip problem. I have own lot other cars NONE of them chips like cx-5.(They do chip but not like 150 in 4 months) 2012 Hyundai Tucson for example only 7 chips for 6 years. 2010 GMC Acadia 115k only 8 little rock chips. 2014 Toyota Sienna 0 so far. 2015 BWM 2 rock chips front, and the side because performance Pirelli tire and wheel is bigger so about 10 chips on the side that's due to my self-bought a bigger tire than the original tire. 2015 Dodge Charger 2 chips as far as I know. 2017 BMW X5 zero yet(with clear bra). 2016 Lexus lx570 zero as far as I know or I cant see because of clear bra(with clear bra). 2010 Toyota RAV4 about 120k miles on it around 10 chips. 2010 Acura TL around 7 chips. 2010 Hyundai Elantra 120k miles about 16 chips somewhere around when I counted 6 months ago. Man WTF Mazda 4k miles 150 chips?? With paying extra for soul red paint. Anyways you get the idea how bad Mazda paint is. I have seen to have bad luck with this car.... turn signal light was out less than 2k miles(warranty, did fix it but dealer was about 115mile away from me and I have to drive over and back). Left side tail light was about to fall out it was wiggling that occurs less than 500miles on it(had tow to deal and fix it). Rattling noise sounds like the wire that was rattling first occur around 300mile till now Mazda dealer denied said it was normal. hood and front passenger side head light misaligned(had it adjusted at Mazda dealer but still misaligned). The rear bumper was about to fall off occurs around 600miles (again drive to dealer get it fix by warrnty)

Last edited:
Sorry to say but I've been saying for a while that Mazda paints are not up to other manufacturers levels :(

If youve got 150 stone chips it means that 150 objects have hit it with sufficient force to chip the paint. If your rear light and your bumper are falling off it means that somebody has had them off and not put them back properly and by the sounds of your misaligned panels it sounds like you bought a car that has been in quite a serious accident before you got it - dont dismiss it, it happens more often than you think. Your subject title of attention all 17 and 18 owners is an attempt to rally support to complain about a car when there is nothing to complain about. Ive got a 17 in SRC and yes, after 7 months and 9000 miles Ive got maybe 4 or 5 paint chips but our roads are badly maintained and in an appalling state so given the amount of times I hear missiles bounce off it Ive got nothing but praise for just how tough the paint is. Nothing rattles this is the quietest and most rattle free car Ive ever had) and nothing is falling off it.

You might not be happy and if that is the case, get rid of the bloody thing but if you think Im jumping on the dissatisfied band wagon with you Im not. This car is my most favourite Ive ever had and if youve bought a pup, fire your own bullets.

Today I just call Mazda USA about my 4 months old 2017 cx-5. There are more than 150 rock chips in my soul red paint. Note: I DO NOT tailgate at all, I have always keep a longer distance than an 18 wheelers. After I speak to one of the representatives. I was told there are a large amount of people complaining about the paint issues on 2017/2018 cx-5, there might be a TSB if more people complain. please, people, I need your help if you have paint problems with your cx-5 call and please go file a complaint. I know a large number of people here have paint rock chip problem. I have own lot other cars NONE of them chips like cx-5.(They do chip but not like 150 in 4 months) 2012 Hyundai Tucson for example only 7 chips for 6 years. 2010 GMC Acadia 115k only 8 little rock chips. 2014 Toyota Sienna 0 so far. 2015 BWM 2 rock chips front, and the side because performance Pirelli tire and wheel is bigger so about 10 chips on the side that's due to my self-bought a bigger tire than the original tire. 2015 Dodge Charger 2 chips as far as I know. 2017 BMW X5 zero yet(with clear bra). 2016 Lexus lx570 zero as far as I know or I cant see because of clear bra(with clear bra). 2010 Toyota RAV4 about 120k miles on it around 10 chips. 2010 Acura TL around 7 chips. 2010 Hyundai Elantra 120k miles about 16 chips somewhere around when I counted 6 months ago. Man WTF Mazda 4k miles 150 chips?? With paying extra for soul red paint, ******* kidding?? Anyways you get the idea how bad Mazda paint is. I have seen to have bad luck with this car.... turn signal light was out less than 2k miles(warranty, did fix it but dealer was about 115mile away from me and I have to drive over and back). Left side tail light was about to fall out it was wiggling that occurs less than 500miles on it(had tow to deal and fix it). Rattling noise sounds like the wire that was rattling first occur around 300mile till now Mazda dealer denied said it was normal. hood and front passenger side head light misaligned(had it adjusted at Mazda dealer but still misaligned). The rear bumper was about to fall off occurs around 600miles (again drive to dealer get it fix by warrnty)

So now you’ve edited your post to include other examples and broken the forum rules by using fowl language. What do you want from this thread? You want everybody who has a 17 or 18 to go back and complain to Mazda about somebody who bought an accident damaged vehicle and therefor we are rejecting our vehicle? I don’t think so.

Sorry to say but I've been saying for a while that Mazda paints are not up to other manufacturers levels :(

Despite waiting to order a CX-5, you keep quoting reservations about the paint, are you sure your doing the right thing?

I'm glad YOU said it. This forum hates when I'm right, rofl

You’re just a professional moaner that seems to take more delight in negative than positive so whether you think you are right or not, nobody takes that much notice of your comments.

So now you’ve edited your post to include other examples and broken the forum rules by using fowl language. What do you want from this thread? You want everybody who has a 17 or 18 to go back and complain to Mazda about somebody who bought an accident damaged vehicle and therefor we are rejecting our vehicle? I don’t think so.

Despite waiting to order a CX-5, you keep quoting reservations about the paint, are you sure your doing the right thing?

You’re just a professional moaner that seems to take more delight in negative than positive so whether you think you are right or not, nobody takes that much notice of your comments.

No, they don't notice them much, but Mazda has done as I said they should (obviously not at my saying so, but because they and I both understand how the world works, and hold the same views on some things therefor), and people like you still quote and comment on my opinions and statements.

You accused others of being "professional moaners", and yet here you are chastising people like you're a moderator on here, and disparaging others. Okay. Lol?

This car is my most favourite Ive ever had

Likewise. (headbang)

So now youve edited your post to include other examples and broken the forum rules by using fowl language. What do you want from this thread? You want everybody who has a 17 or 18 to go back and complain to Mazda about somebody who bought an accident damaged vehicle and therefor we are rejecting our vehicle? I dont think so.

Youre just a professional moaner that seems to take more delight in negative than positive so whether you think you are right or not, nobody takes that much notice of your comments.

Anchorman, are you actually an MP? (chair)

(lol2)

I am at peace. If it happens, it happens. It's not a major factor for me to not purchase one. I am just letting people know it's a known thing/real with Mazda paints. Besides sonic silver should hide it more than other colours. Speaking from experience with my departed 6. When I washed it, saw all the small chips and scratches. They weren't big and there was no rust which is the important thing. Not that visible when I was further away.

Last edited:
I'm glad YOU said it. This forum hates when I'm right, rofl
If they choose not to believe there is an issue/concern with the paint that is up to them but it's out their on various forums. Read the posts and seen the photos. If it wasn't real then no one would be bringing it up. Just pointing it out. They can do with it what they will.

Won't be as bad as the OPs post for everyone though.

Last edited:
I only have 1300 miles on mine, But there isn't the slightest blemish. When I first purchased, I put a really good Maguiers wax on it and I also clean it with Maguiers spray and wipe.

My car is over two years old with only one chip of any note, it sounds like your paint isn't up to the job.

If you’ve got 150 stone chips it means that 150 objects have hit it with sufficient force to chip the paint. If your rear light and your bumper are falling off it means that somebody has had them off and not put them back properly and by the sounds of your misaligned panels it sounds like you bought a car that has been in quite a serious accident before you got it - don’t dismiss it, it happens more often than you think. Your subject title of “attention all 17 and 18 owners” is an attempt to rally support to complain about a car when there is nothing to complain about. I’ve got a 17 in SRC and yes, after 7 months and 9000 miles I’ve got maybe 4 or 5 paint chips but our roads are badly maintained and in an appalling state so given the amount of times I hear missiles bounce off it I’ve got nothing but praise for just how tough the paint is. Nothing rattles this is the quietest and most rattle free car I’ve ever had) and nothing is falling off it.

You might not be happy and if that is the case, get rid of the bloody thing but if you think I’m jumping on the dissatisfied band wagon with you I’m not. This car is my most favourite I’ve ever had and if you’ve bought a pup, fire your own bullets.

1. sorry for the language that I have used.(would you be mad if that happened to you)
2. BOUGHT A CAR IN SERIOUS ACCIDENT? There are only 4 miles when I picked up from the dealer!?
3. I'm complaining about the toughness of the paint (if Mazda's paint isn't weaker than other why so many chips )
4. If there is not a problem with this car WHY Mazda admit the problem?
5. I was told this car has two model they are built in different counties: US and Mixco. There might be a paint problem in one of the built and IDK what mine is built from.

Last edited:
It could be that the metal wasn't prepared correctly before receiving the paint, or even a bad batch of paint, the latter is very possible if enough tests are not used.

A relative of mine worked for a paint suppler for Honda, they produced a batch of paint which wasn't up to Hondas high specification, but they still sent it out.

Hondas in house testing revealed the problem and sent it back, the company lost the contract.

Our CX-5s are made in Japan.

1. sorry for the language that I have used.(would you be mad if that happened to you)
2. BOUGHT A CAR IN SERIOUS ACCIDENT? There are only 4 miles when I picked up from the dealer!?
3. I'm complaining about the toughness of the paint (if Mazda's paint isn't weaker than other why so many chips )
4. If there is not a problem with this car WHY Mazda admit the problem?
5. I was told this car has two model they are built in different counties: US and Mixco. There might be a paint problem in one of the built and IDK what mine is built from.

2017 Soul Red owner here. Also unhappy about the number of chips on my hood (and some on the side of the vehicle). About 2 weeks ago, Mazda NA sent me a survey to fill out, in which I described my chip problem. Mazda immediately followed up, asking for pictures and telling me to schedule a visit with my dealer. If Mazda didn't care, and assumed I simply followed other vehicles too closely, I don't believe they would have followed up as they have. Mazda may end up not doing anything about it, but in the meantime, I've taken the pictures and will schedule the visit. I've owned other vehicles many years older that have had less paint chips than my less than 1 year old CX-5. It was simply not within my budget after purchasing my CX-5 to do the clear bra thing on the entire front end of the vehicle. I certainly wish now that I had been able to do so.

Maybe the moderator can at least change the title to something less sensational?

“Attention 17/18 owners, another paint chip thread”

My 2014 with 41,000 miles has no or very few chips on my soul red paint. I wonder if they changed the application method or some other change. I always felt that the charge extra for that paint was not warrantied and now it cost even more. Ed

In my experience, paint/rock chips are all about your driving style and the roads you drive in. When I had my 2010 Mazda3, I had a lot of rock chips on the car and even cracked my windshield. During my ownership of that car, I used to drive really close to other cars and drove in congested highways with everyone else. Fast forward to my 2013 Mazdaspeed3 and getting a different job at a different location, I no longer drive closely behind other cars and am mostly driving on the tollways. I have noticed significantly less rock chips and have not cracked my windshield yet.

the last couple of days ive gotten hit quiet hard in the windshield by tiny rocks or whatever it is that hits the car more than usual. I'm on my 5th month with my soul red 17' cx5 and ive yet to see chips on my car. i do have one weird complain that ive yet to address to my dealer. which is bird poop. idk what that bird that pooped on my hood ate but i guess i left it a day too long on my hood before cleaning it off and now theres this weird mark on the hood that wont come off. ive tried everything with no force ofcourse i don't want to damage the paint by mistake. can it be the paint? was it taco night for the bird?

In my experience, paint/rock chips are all about your driving style and the roads you drive in.

But the OP CLEARLY stated he doesn't tailgate.
And really OP? 150+?? That's crazy. YOU might have a defect. Is Mazda paint thinner then others? I've stayed out of these threads because I find them silly. We are always looking for something Mazda did wrong. I have paint chips, they must use cheap paint.

Fact: Mazda paint is no thinner then others. OK maybe not fact, but... everyone whines about chips. <-FACT :D

Bimerfest.com
"My E70 has been terrible for rock chips. The E88 it replaced was also terrible. Both much worse than my E46s form about 10 years ago. "
"Rock chips drive me nuts. My 2008 335 didn't have clear bra and had chips out the azz. That's with me babying the car and staying away from trucks. BMW is using a water based paint to be earth friendly. However, it's not road friendly."

Audiworld
"holy crap, my 2001 A6 never got so many paint chips on the front of the hood like my new 2012 A7,after only a few months its already riddled. Did they switch to thinner paint or something?"
"I hear ya. Our '11 car chips badly, our '06 car doesn't really chip at all. Massive difference."

Just Google "paint chips *brand*".
No one makes chip proof paint.

Last edited:
the last couple of days ive gotten hit quiet hard in the windshield by tiny rocks or whatever it is that hits the car more than usual. I'm on my 5th month with my soul red 17' cx5 and ive yet to see chips on my car. i do have one weird complain that ive yet to address to my dealer. which is bird poop. idk what that bird that pooped on my hood ate but i guess i left it a day too long on my hood before cleaning it off and now theres this weird mark on the hood that wont come off. ive tried everything with no force ofcourse i don't want to damage the paint by mistake. can it be the paint? was it taco night for the bird?

The acid in bird poop is one of the most detrimental issues that affect vehicle finishes. You will probably need to clay bar and polish out the imprint left by our fine feathered friends. I leave a bottle of detailing spray and a microfiber towel in each of our cars to get that crap off the paint asap. Even have the wife trained!!

Back