Is there a way to disable trunk open on FOB?

New18CX5

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring Premier
Is there a way to disable trunk open on FOB? When the FOB is in my pocket, it triggers the trunk to open. Happened 3 times already. lol

Is there a way to disable trunk open on FOB? When the FOB is in my pocket, it triggers the trunk to open. Happened 3 times already. lol
At least you have a button on key fob to open the liftgate. On our Gen-1 CX-5 we don't have one so as a liftgate-release button inside the cabin near the driver, and I miss these features. My '98 Honda CR-V has trunk-open button on the key fob, and a trunk-open button inside the cabin. You have to keep pressing trunk-open button on the key fob for about 3 seconds to trigger the trunk-open function. That would prevent the accidental release of the liftgate from the key fob like you experienced. Mazda apparently overlooked this during the design and nothing you can do about it right now.

Or you can try to not mix it with other keys. Another solution would be is have one of those rubber covers for your fob. I had it on mine and I never had it open accidentally. I even have to press hard on the fob to open it.

Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MG1N517/

Mine is from the dealer itself and it came free... dealer gave me a blue and a red pair

Last edited:
Check user manual to see if liftgate has a dedicated fuse. If yes - pull it out.

Thank you all for the responses.

At least you have a button on key fob to open the liftgate.
I wish it didn't. There is a button at the front seat and at the rear deck.

Check user manual to see if liftgate has a dedicated fuse. If yes - pull it out.
I like the front seat button and deck lid button option. wouldn't want to loose that.

Another solution would be is have one of those rubber covers for your fob.
This sounds like a good idea. Thanks

Simple - that key fob has couple of screws holding it. Take it out, put something where it presses into the trunk button so that you can't press it anymore, re-assemble and you're good to go.

Back