Creating an extra keyless fob copy for cx5 2018

EJJ

:
Cx5
Hi,
Official dealerships around NYC/NJ are asking for 350$ To 450$ for an extra car key/fob and programming for a cx5 2018.
What would be the best way to secure a copy for less please?
Is there a recommended place to do so in/near NYC? A recommended website?
And, is the 2018 keyless different than previous models?
Thank you!

Assuming that you can get a brand new fob for $N.
It is cheaper to do the programming while you still own 2 fobs. In the old days, you can DIY.
If you only have 1 left, you need to go to dealership to do that, and need to prove your ownership.
If you have no fob at all, it will cost you lots of money.
The ECU needs to be replaced. The cost is upward of $800.

You should be aware AFAIK the CX-5 can support only 2 key fobs (remembering power seat preferences etc).

Adding a 3rd keyless fob if I am not mistaken will override 1 of your standard key fobs.

The 2017 manual for Europe says you can have up to 6 keys.........

fullsizeoutput_17b5.jpg

With hindsight getting a third key in the deal would have been best done in the deal while ordering.

I don't see why the ECU needs to be replaced, just the new keys programed in?

The 2017 manual for Europe says you can have up to 6 keys.........

fullsizeoutput_17b5.jpg
Maybe it's changed now

You maybe able to program 6 key fobs but only two memory seat options are assigned to 2 key fobs meaning all other 4 key fobs require adjusting the seat.

Last edited:
You don't have to have the keys linked to the memory seats as far as I know, I just push a button on the seat its not difficult.

You maybe able to program 6 key fobs but only two memory seat options are assigned to 2 key fobs meaning all other 4 key fobs require adjusting the seat.

Wait, you can control your memory seat with your FOB? O.O?!? If so, how? I should really open up the manual and start reading it.

Leave the manual in the bathroom for a few weeks. People don't do this?
:D

I added another key fob to my 2015 and I found the cost of programming varied greatly from dealer to dealer. I called around and ended up saving over $100.00.

Back