CX-5 Adaptive Cruise Control…How often do you use it?

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
In my CX5 was the first time I've used the Adaptive Cruise Control and it was a revolutionary experience for me. Combined with the lane assist it almost makes driving feel semi automatic, whereas a self driving car would be automatic. With those of you that have it, how often do you use it?

In my CX5 was the first time I've used the Adaptive Cruise Control and it was a revolutionary experience for me. Combined with the lane assist it almost makes driving feel semi automatic, whereas a self driving car would be automatic. With those of you that have it, how often do you use it?

I use it on long trips on the freeway outside of urban areas. I do like it.

I use it all the time. Once I hit cruising speed (30-80 mph), it’s on for any distance more than 1/4 mile. I absolutely love not having to attend to my speed and focus on driving.

I used to drive over speed limits often, but, now that I’m retired, I observe them religiously and without effort/thought.

I use it every so often, it seems to give me better mpg than if I'm driving it going the same speed. I do feel really nervous while using it tho, especially when I hit traffic.

I will add my thoughts on lane assist since you asked. I didn’t like the feeling of the car trying to correct me in situations like construction zones. Our freeways here have been under construction for the past twenty years plus and no end in site. So I turned off the intervention feature and the audible warning. All I get now is the visible warning in the HUD which is okay by me.

I had it on my 2016 GT and did not like it as it would sometimes jam the breaks for no reason. On turns, it sometimes would sense the guardrail coming on and abruptly hit the brakes. Or if on curvy roads it sensed car coming the other day, it would freak out.

On straight roads with minimal traffic, it was nice but on curvy 2-lane roads, it could be a little panicky at times.

To be honest, I think I prefer the old standard cruise control, which my 2017 Touring has.

I haven’t had the curve issue with my ‘17. It’s possible that they improved that. Also on my ‘17 you can also run it in normal cruise without the radar portion just by toggling mode.

I use it all the time. Once I hit cruising speed (30-80 mph), it’s on for any distance more than 1/4 mile. I absolutely love not having to attend to my speed and focus on driving.

This dude cruise controls. :D

I generally stick it on to get better gas mileage. It seeeeems to do a better job than me, even when I'm babying the throttle. Also convenient in moderate traffic on the highway since I don't have to be constantly applying the brakes and then reapplying the CC.

LKAS is basically useless to me with this machine, since we rarely have lines painted on, and there's so many holes and twisty roads. It just doesn't do that great a job at keeping me in the lane. The LKAS system on my last car was far superior to this one, did a much better job keeping you actually in the lane, even on sharper bends. I know its a supplemental feature meant to act more if you fell asleep, but I test it out every now and again to see just how much I could depend on it in those kinds of situations, and the system in the CX-5 does not give me much confidence, hahaha.

I had it on my 2016 GT and did not like it as it would sometimes jam the breaks for no reason. On turns, it sometimes would sense the guardrail coming on and abruptly hit the brakes. Or if on curvy roads it sensed car coming the other day, it would freak out.

On straight roads with minimal traffic, it was nice but on curvy 2-lane roads, it could be a little panicky at times.

To be honest, I think I prefer the old standard cruise control, which my 2017 Touring has.

with the '17 models and up it is nice to have the option to go to normal cruise if you want. But I haven't had any of the above mentioned issues with Radar cruise in my '17, and I use it pretty extensively.

I do find that the automatic e-brake assist sometimes gets overexcited tho.

Do you have to tap the gas to resume after coming to a complete stop? I see the auto hold light comes on in the dash when it comes to a complete stop and I have to tap the gas to resume

I use it often on the expressway, the traffic in Chicago can be awful and it makes it a much easier drive. But it took a while before I trusted it to make a full stop, having your car barrel towards someone's rear bumper with no foot actually pressing on the brake takes a leap of faith the first few times. I think it's partly years of muscle memory, when you see the brake light come on in front of you you want to at least cover the pedal. With the cruise it sometimes starts braking after I would have already started to slow down, then stops more aggressively than seems normal to me. That seems like a good way to get rear ended if the guy behind you isn't paying attention.

There's also the issue when someone dive bombs into your lane right in front of you. I just don't know if I trust it to react in time if they hit the brakes since the interval in that case is so small. So it's sort of a conundrum, I trust it completely in normal traffic, but not so much in the heavy stop and go where it's theoretically most useful.

The lane centering is another matter. It's pretty laid back compared to my wife's Acura. Her car will take a gentle curve at 70 all on its own, and stay pretty much centered the whole time. The Mazda will ping pong between the markers rather than center, but I do like it as backup if I happen to get distracted on the phone or something.

My other concern is the human factor, it does lead you to get a bit sloppy about staying aware. I can see where a Tesla driver could quickly get overdependent on Auto-Drive and never see the guy who creams him, but had he been actively driving it might not have gotten that far.

When I drive about 30mph on adaptive CC with no cars ahead of me, then approach a car standing still at the red light, it fails to detect the car almost 100% of times
Is that expected?

When I drive about 30mph on adaptive CC with no cars ahead of me, then approach a car standing still at the red light, it fails to detect the car almost 100% of times
Is that expected?
i don't think it's supposed to do that, but i've never actually tested it (hopefully no one but mazda themselves would). i've had mine panic brake and throw up the warning sign to brake on the instrument cluster (as though the system can't panic brake on its own?), but it's always detected the car from a reasonable distance. i use ACC almost all the time. do you have the system set to stay close to cars in front of you? if so, i would back it up to 3 or 4 bars (cars?). i think there might be more sensitivity settings in the infotainment menus.

From OM:
Do not use the MRCC with Stop & Go function system in the following locations, using the
MRCC with Stop & Go function system at the following locations may result in an unexpected
accident:
General roads other than highways (Driving under these conditions using the MRCC with
Stop & Go function system is not possible.)

I've found that the system is much better at bringing the car to safe stop if it has a detected moving car in front of it. It doesn't seem to react as well with no moving cars in front when approaching an intersection with a stationary vehicle. In my experience in those situations, the distance setting has to be at high (4 bars) for it to react in time.

I use the radar cruise regularly, even on my daily 7 mile suburban commute. However, I always brake manually when coming to a stop. I have yet to attempt to allow it to come to a stop on its own. Old habits, I guess.

When my CX-5 was new-ish, I wanted to test that behaviour, so I tried 3 or 4 times allowing the car to detect a stopped car at a red light, and each time I bailed out and hit the brakes myself.

I know the emergency braking works, because it’s gone off 2 or 3 times in the past couple of years, but I don’t think the car’s designed to bring you to a stop behind a stopped car. It might work, but I don’t have the nerves to complete the test!

Last edited:
i don't think it's supposed to do that, but i've never actually tested it (hopefully no one but mazda themselves would). i've had mine panic brake and throw up the warning sign to brake on the instrument cluster (as though the system can't panic brake on its own?), but it's always detected the car from a reasonable distance. i use ACC almost all the time. do you have the system set to stay close to cars in front of you? if so, i would back it up to 3 or 4 bars (cars?). i think there might be more sensitivity settings in the infotainment menus.
It will panic brake if you don't touch the brake pedal. It's giving you a chance to react first.

Back