New CX 5

blaf2

:
cx 5
Good Evening ~

So, I just purchased my brand new touring with the sunroof boise package. How long will it take for that burn off smell to go away? I hear that the black paint is a little on the thin side. How often should I wax it and with which wax? I plan on having it for about 10 years. I like it so far and just hope it holds up without too many quirky problems. I will tell you what I paid and go easy on me, if I didn't get a decent deal. Including tax and a 10 year old trade in that needed $2,000.00 of work.
$30,353.00? Researching new cars is a daunting experience. I hate having to buy a new car, it's stressful! What should I use to wash it?

Thank you!

Good Evening ~

So, I just purchased my brand new touring with the sunroof boise package. How long will it take for that burn off smell to go away? I hear that the black paint is a little on the thin side. How often should I wax it and with which wax? I plan on having it for about 10 years. I like it so far and just hope it holds up without too many quirky problems. I will tell you what I paid and go easy on me, if I didn't get a decent deal. Including tax and a 10 year old trade in that needed $2,000.00 of work.
$30,353.00? Researching new cars is a daunting experience. I hate having to buy a new car, it's stressful! What should I use to wash it?

Thank you!

I assume it's a 2018 CX5 Touring?

Mazda's are very reliable. Some leaky water pumps on earlier CX5s but it's covered under powertrain warranty.

Never use Dawn soap to wash cars. Use any good car wash soap you can buy at AutoZone or Walmart. Never use rags to dry, only 100% cotton towels to dry.

I prefer Zaino for my wax. Black is a VERY difficult color to maintain. The say, black is not a car color choice but a new career in car maintenance. When clean, black is gorgeous but it's tough to keep clean. Swirl marks always show up on black paint. It's the nature of the beast. Avoid car washes that use brushes. Hand wash works best

The burn off smell could take up to 1,000 miles to go away.

Thank you! Yes, it is a CX 5 Touring. How often should I wax? What kind of sponge to wash? How would I know if there was a water leak? Water under the car?

Thank you! Yes, it is a CX 5 Touring. How often should I wax? What kind of sponge to wash? How would I know if there was a water leak? Water under the car?

More like green coolant under the car. That was the older gen, nothing to worry about now.

Big sponge.

Wax twice a year. Spring and Fall unless you feel like more.

Thank you. Would like to do more often, if it is true that the paint is thin. I would think that would give it extra protection. So...did I pay too much for the car?

Thank you. Would like to do more often, if it is true that the paint is thin. I would think that would give it extra protection. So...did I pay too much for the car?

Is the $30.3k including tax, title and license?

A 2018 CX5 Touring with NO additional packages (AWD, preferred package, etc) goes for around $28k which does NOT include TTL

Not really any need to do it more often, a good wax or sealant will do 6 months.

To determine price, you should visit the CX-5 Current Selling Price thread. To determine it in this thread, we would need to know what you paid for the vehicle before trade ins, taxes and fees, lics and docs.

Yes, includes taxes, dest. charges, fees and trade. In addition to the $30,300 I did have to pay extra for new plates and registration and of course a ten year 100,000 miles warranty. It included the bose, moonroof, and rear view mirror dimmer. I probably could have done better but it's done. I will be learning the car as I go along. I was driving a stick so it takes a little getting used to.

Yes, includes taxes, dest. charges, fees and trade. In addition to the $30,300 I did have to pay extra for new plates and registration and of course a ten year 100,000 miles warranty. It included the bose, moonroof, and rear view mirror dimmer. I probably could have done better but it's done. I will be learning the car as I go along. I was driving a stick so it takes a little getting used to.

Sounds like you did well.

I drove manual transmissions for 28 years across four different vehicles. I'm finding that the manual transmission on the CX-5 hasn't been too hard to get used to, although I do find myself reaching to pull out the keys, pull the parking brake lever and do other things peculiar to the Honda Element I drove for 15 years. I do find that the drive is much more relaxing without constantly shifting gears.

Enjoy and welcome to the club.

Welcome to the Mazda family.

For washing, check out AutoGeek and Autopia. Good sites where there is a lot of info. I use only good microfiber towels on my car.

https://www.theragcompany.com

This site has a great selection and also has Optimum car care products as well. Disclaimer; I do not work for nor am I attached to this company. Just a happy customer.

There is no such thing as Bose and Moonroof package since 2016. You probably have a Preferred package.
Honestly its not a great deal but 2018 is brand new. Enjoying the car for long is a good decision though.

I also hope you have a garage. Mazda paint is thin so I don't wash and wax often but I am ready to cure it once every two years. I wash with ONR wash and wax.

Yes, it's the preferred package and no I don't have a garage. Cure? what is that? Hard to do?
No garage and dark color sucks.
When you have scratches and you want to get rid of them, you have to do the whole process:
Wash, clay bar, scratchx, wax. This is what I call curing. Understand that it might need multiple scratchx applications since a deep scratch might need that.

Last edited:
No garage and dark color sucks.
When you have scratches and you want to get rid of them, you have to do the whole process:
Wash, clay bar, scratchx, wax. This is what I call curing. Understand that it might need multiple scratchx applications since a deep scratch might need that.

How do you do the ScratchX?

How do you do the ScratchX?

Applicator pads or special buffing microfiber towel. Apply it over the scratch. Buff with clean towel. Re apply. Most important thing is a clean car surface. Hence need to claybar before scratch X. This is why I love ONR. It cleans, can be used as quick detailer and claybar lubricant with different concentration. Best detailing product I owned.

Last edited:
Applicator pads or special buffing microfiber towel. Apply it over the scratch. Buff with clean towel. Re apply. Most important thing is a clean car surface. Hence need to claybar before scratch X. This is why I love ONR. It cleans, can be used as quick detailer and claybar lubricant with different concentration. Best detailing product I owned.

Well, I will do the best I can! At least I'll be able to see what I have to fix!

Do not use a sponge to wash... you will be rubbing tiny particles into your paint. Use a soft microfibre cloth or rag. Make sure it is clean and doesnt have dirt on it In between wipes. Avoid swirl motions so youve dont make swirl marks. The less you scrub your paint, the better. Ensure she has a good layer of wax on it and the paint will last.

Good Evening ~

Thank you!

Congrats!

My family has two CX5's (one awd GT and one fwd Touring), and they have only needed oil change, wiper blades, tires, airfilter, and brake pads since 2014.
Fantastic cars. We also used to have a CX5 sport which I sold after 3 years. Never had any problems.
Intuitive to drive so it is fun to drive.

No black cx5 in our family though...

Enjoy!

Do not use a sponge to wash... you will be rubbing tiny particles into your paint. Use a soft microfibre cloth or rag. Make sure it is clean and doesn’t have dirt on it In between wipes. Avoid swirl motions so you’ve don’t make swirl marks. The less you scrub your paint, the better. Ensure she has a good layer of wax on it and the paint will last.

Thank you!

Congrats!

My family has two CX5's (one awd GT and one fwd Touring), and they have only needed oil change, wiper blades, tires, airfilter, and brake pads since 2014.
Fantastic cars. We also used to have a CX5 sport which I sold after 3 years. Never had any problems.
Intuitive to drive so it is fun to drive.

No black cx5 in our family though...

Enjoy!

Thank you!

Back