How does everyone clean glass?

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I have always used windex and newspaper - perfect for me and easy. Yes, I use windex with ammonia unless it is an aftermarket tint, then i use the non-ammonia windex. I have done it this way for to many years and it always works, but I don't get a news paper and no one else I know

I tried something new today - Sprayaway glass cleaner and microfiber. Terrible results. I have a pack of new microfiber towels from Costco i got some time ago, they work fine for other things, but I assume that is my issue. My other challenge is washing my microfiber, the washed ones always have lint, and the lint shows up the windows.

How do others do it? Any tricks for a streak free shine using rags?

No smokers here, but interior windows always build up a layer over time.

I have always used windex and newspaper

Windshield washer fluid and a microfiber towel for the outside. Windex and paper towel for the inside was what I was doing before. I do have some Armourall glass cleaning wipes to try.

I'm also interested to see what our collective wisdom determines are the best cleaning solutions.

I have always used windex and newspaper - perfect for me and easy. Yes, I use windex with ammonia unless it is an aftermarket tint, then i use the non-ammonia windex. I have done it this way for to many years and it always works, but I don't get a news paper and no one else I know

I tried something new today - Sprayaway glass cleaner and microfiber. Terrible results. I have a pack of new microfiber towels from Costco i got some time ago, they work fine for other things, but I assume that is my issue. My other challenge is washing my microfiber, the washed ones always have lint, and the lint shows up the windows.

Inside - Windex and a cloth
Outside - washer fluid and wipers. When washing car, water and squeegee.

My sister gave me an e-cloth (some type of cloth with silver in it) and I thought it would be a gimmick.

I clean all windows, glass, tv screens, mirrors at home, cottage and the CX-5 with it and it is terrific. No need for any other product. I am a believer. Just use water, ring it out and wipe down.

Wash your microfiber separately with other microfibers. They'll pick up lint otherwise. Also not all microfibers are equal...

I'll second washing your microfibers separately and also use dye and perfume free detergent when washing them or a dedicated microfiber wash. Penguin sport wash also works really well for washing microfibers. Always wash new microfiber towels before their first use to get rid of all the lint that is on them in the packaging. Higher quality mircofibers won't lint as much as cheaper ones. The Costco ones aren't bad but do lint some no matter what I do. You can also add about a 1/2 cup of white vinegear into the wash to make sure they rinse clean and restore the absorbency.

For cleaning windows I use Stoners Invisible glass which works really well. Most of the time I will use newspapers that I get from weekly mail flyers.

As for the inside, the film you get is the materials inside out gassing. It will always happen whether you smoke or not, it's 100% normal. Usually dry newspaper is all that is needed to remove that film.

Hot water, bug sponge and old newspaper to wipe dry. (maybe a splash of ammonia)

Chemical glass cleaners are not needed and will eventually leave a haze.

I'll second washing your microfibers separately and also use dye and perfume free detergent when washing them or a dedicated microfiber wash. Penguin sport wash also works really well for washing microfibers. Always wash new microfiber towels before their first use to get rid of all the lint that is on them in the packaging. Higher quality mircofibers won't lint as much as cheaper ones. The Costco ones aren't bad but do lint some no matter what I do. You can also add about a 1/2 cup of white vinegear into the wash to make sure they rinse clean and restore the absorbency.

For cleaning windows I use Stoners Invisible glass which works really well. Most of the time I will use newspapers that I get from weekly mail flyers.

As for the inside, the film you get is the materials inside out gassing. It will always happen whether you smoke or not, it's 100% normal. Usually dry newspaper is all that is needed to remove that film.

A lot of that film is the outgassing of the plastics and soft materials used in new cars. It’s shocking that even if you don’t smoke the amount of film that builds up.

I use use Invisible Glass and paper towels mostly. I fold the paper towel sheets to get a little more out of them. Wipe the lights, mirrors first, then the crud off the worst windows. Throw out these initial towel sheets since they're the dirtiest... additional paper towel sheets follow, using less and less spray as it wipes cleaner and cleaner.

It's really bad in my area where rain makes the car dirtier rather than cleaner, even heavy rain. It usually leaves leopard-like rain splotches when it all dries. Just a lot of salt, grime, construction dust, pollen, and pollution deposited. That's why we went with a silver car this time.

Also, avoid eating, say, hot pizza or chicken vindaloo in the car. It takes a lot of willpower to get home before cracking them open and digging in, but those vapors take some effort to wipe off. I sat in the car eating pizza with all the windows down in 25 weather and I'm not sure it was worth it.

Last edited:
Just use something that cleans the glass well but doesn't leave streaks or swirl marks

Had to doublecheck what I use was called.

+1 for Sprayaway. Really no better options.

Back