door lock feature

:
Cx5
I have looked at the owners manual and I can not find the answer for the following:

I leave my car running when I go into the local coffee shop to get my drink for the morning. The car will not allow me to lock the doors while it is running. I have to turn the car off and go in. Is there something I am missing? I do have the auto lock feature when I walk away activated.

I have a 2017 GT.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried manually locking the door with the manual lock lever by the inside door handle and closing the door? (make sure the keys are on your person)

I've noticed that, too, if I walk away from the car with it running and the fob in my pocket, it beeps 6 times and doesn't lock.
I haven't tried to lock it, tho.
Have you tried to put the fob out of range for a moment and then tried to lock it with the door button?

I'm pretty sure it's a security measure in case you forget to turn off the engine and tried to lock the car. Just take your key out of the fob and manually lock the door.

Press the button on the fob.
That said, in CA, leaving car running unattended is a violation.

I have looked at the owners manual and I can not find the answer for the following:

I leave my car running when I go into the local coffee shop to get my drink for the morning. The car will not allow me to lock the doors while it is running. I have to turn the car off and go in. Is there something I am missing? I do have the auto lock feature when I walk away activated.

I have a 2017 GT.

Thanks in advance

Door locking only works when car is off.

Auto lock works when engine is off and you are moving away from the vehicle with your transponder on you.

Got an answer for you, docs, it's what lowincash suggested: use the auxiliary key. Even tho the fob doesn't work when the engine is running, and the inside switch doesn't work when the engine is running and a door is open, the aux key overrides all of that.

Keep the engine running. Leave the fob or take it with you-- it doesn't matter. Lock with the aux key. Note you must also unlock with the aux key when you do this.

I tested this on my 17 GT to make sure it's correct. (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Seems a bit strange one needs to lock with the aux key when turning off the engine would be enough to lock it.

Be sure to leave loads of cash and jewellery in the car when you leave it running then when somebody breaks the glass and nicks it they might not feel the need to go to your house and rob it while you are in the coffee shop. They’ll find your address when they rifle the contents.

Be sure to leave loads of cash and jewellery in the car when you leave it running then when somebody breaks the glass and nicks it they might not feel the need to go to your house and rob it while you are in the coffee shop. They’ll find your address when they rifle the contents.
Now now Anchorman (wink)

Seems a bit strange one needs to lock with the aux key when turning off the engine would be enough to lock it.

Did you miss the part where OP said he wanted to keep the engine running?

Did you miss the part where OP said he wanted to keep the engine running?
No I didn't miss it. All this extra work just to keep the engine running. What happens if the task takes longer than anticipated? The engine is running for no reason

Just shut off the engine, lock it and go and do what needs to be done without having in the back of one's mind the engine is running.

Last edited:
No I didn't miss it. All this extra work just to keep the engine running. What happens if the task takes longer than anticipated? The engine is running for no reason

His choice. Maybe he has a reason. What do you care?

Anyway, it's really not much work to remove the aux key from the fob. :)

I don't care. Just saying

They can do what ever they want but it's not a Mazda problem or issue.

Last edited:
I don't care. Just saying

They can do what ever they want but it's not a Mazda problem or issue.

Indeed, it's not a Mazda problem. Their implementation makes a lot of sense. Like most [not all] things they do.
He was looking for a solution that wasn't covered in the OM and we found one for him. It's all good. (group)

Back