French Language Keyfobs for Quebec?

isketerol

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD
Since learning that the word "HOLD' on the keyfob is an instruction not an indication of function, I have to ask do the keyfobs offered in Quebec read "HOLD" or have they been translated? I think "APPUYER" would be the closest translation. Yes, I could read the French manual given to me but that's at home and wouldn't (hopefully) create a discussion.

IskiE

Wouldn't/shouldn't the dealer be able to answer this question?

Doesn’t Quebec /Canadian law specify both French and English should be used? The question here is if this applies to certain items like the key fob. I would think the visual icons describe the function enough.

Doesn’t Quebec /Canadian law specify both French and English should be used? The question here is if this applies to certain items like the key fob. I would think the visual icons describe the function enough.

I don't think the visual icon indicates the function required for that function. I am not advocating multiple languages on the button, but I do see the problem.

If the button only functions while holding it down, then this would be lost if going by the image alone.

If the manual has clarified, then the wording on the keyfob would be considered over and above anything else, and it could be removed.

Some keyfobs have x2 for 2 pushes, but not all have the word hold. Many keyfobs I have had the lock button doubles for panic. Press and hold is in the manual, but not on the fob.

I'm about as close as you can get to Quebec, without actually living there (Ottawa, the nations Capital).
Our federal government city is about as bilingual as you can get, and although my car came with both French and English user manuals, the fob is English only.
The trunk and panic buttons says HOLD, while the lock and unlock buttons have the padlock symbol on them.
Maybe someone from Montreal can chime in and tell us what their fobs look like.
FYI, the province of Quebec has it's own French language laws, so what happens there doesn't necessarily apply outside of Quebec. It's complicated and very political.

Last edited:
I'm about as close as you can get to Quebec, without actually living there (Ottawa, the nations Capital).
Our federal government city is about as bilingual as you can get, and although my car came with both French and English user manuals, the fob is English only.
The trunk and panic buttons says HOLD, while the lock and unlock buttons have the padlock symbol on them.
Maybe someone from Montreal can chime in and tell us what their fobs look like.
FYI, the province of Quebec has it's own French language laws, so what happens there doesn't necessarily apply outside of Quebec. It's complicated and very political.

I understand. My only experience is traveling through Vancouver’s airport where every announcement was in both languages which seemed very tiring and inefficient to this American. We have similar language issues here not by govt but from immigrant influx. Spanish is the obvious second language but it’s by option and not forced upon everyone.

Back