Liftgate won't operate unless car is turned off / in accessory mode

isketerol

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD
I discovered with some degree of panic yesterday that the liftgate will not operate with car running. The manual clearly states that it will operate with the car in Park; however, I could only open it last night and this morning when I had turned it off. I get three beeps when the liftgate button is used.

Is this a 2018 "feature"? It seems very wasteful and stupid to shutoff the engine in the cold to open the cargo area for a few seconds for my partner to get his bags out.

IskiE

Car has to be unlocked to open the gate. Not just in park.

This. If car is on and parked, just remember to unlock all doors (from the inside controls, not key fob). Then the rear gate will open.

My 2014 does this.

Edit: To clarify, not sure if the newer ones are still like this, but if my car is on, I can't unlock/lock the doors with the keyfob. So if I forget, I have to groan, walk back over to the door to unlock, then go back to the liftgate.

Last edited:
Ah, yeah. I likely didn't RTM well enough. I will try this out this evening. Thanks guys.

IskiE.

Car has to be unlocked to open the gate. Not just in park.

So can you still approach a parked and locked CX-5, just open the tailgate by pressing either the button on the remote or on the tailgate itself (uhm)

So can you still approach a parked and locked CX-5, just open the tailgate by pressing either the button on the remote or on the tailgate itself (uhm)

I do all the time. It doesn’t unlock the other doors from that location though which would be a good idea for them to implement.

My car is in the shop still so I can't test, but this unlock trick is only when the car is running and in park. I'm not sure if the key fob works while it's running.

Parked and off it behaves like you'd expect.

My car is in the shop still so I can't test, but this unlock trick is only when the car is running and in park. I'm not sure if the key fob works while it's running.

Thanks (thumb)

Correct.

Just to be clear on my use, I open the lift gate by pressing the button (pad) on the lift gate itself. I do not use the fob. There is no need to take it out of your pocket. Example, loading car at grocery store. The missing link is that you have to press the button on the door to open. I wish this was also done at the lift gate pad.

Just to be clear on my use, I open the lift gate by pressing the button (pad) on the lift gate itself. I do not use the fob. There is no need to take it out of your pocket. Example, loading car at grocery store. The missing link is that you have to press the button on the door to open. I wish this was also done at the lift gate pad.

Makes sense to me now. Thank you :)

Oh yeah you guys have more stuff than I do. Like buttons on your door handles.

Mine simply work like this:

Car off = Unlock twice with fob or inside lock controls to unlock all doors. Liftgate can now be opened.

Car on = Unlock with inside lock controls (fob will not lock/unlock with car on) to unlock all doors. Liftgate can now be opened.

Last edited:
Oh yeah you guys have more stuff than I do. Like buttons on your door handles.

Mine simply work like this:

Car off = Unlock twice with fob or inside lock controls to unlock all doors. Liftgate will open

Car on = Unlock with inside lock controls (fob will not lock/unlock with car on) to unlock all doors. Liftgate will open.

Yep and it’s feels odd the first couple of times you use it. The button on the door is not actually a button that depresses. You have to firmly push it but there is no sense of depressing a button. Also in the settings you can adjust your preferences. I set it so pressing the button unlocks all doors.

It’s a minor thing that you get used to just as with any new car.

On a somewhat related note, I had a terrifying experience yesterday in my 2017. I was trying to leave the gas station, but couldn't get my parking break to disengage. I realized my door wasn't completely closed. Apparently the parking break won't disengage if any doors are open. Pretty neat!
So remember kids,
1) Unlock doors to open liftgate
2) Close doors to disengage parking break.

On a somewhat related note, I had a terrifying experience yesterday in my 2017. I was trying to leave the gas station, but couldn't get my parking break to disengage. I realized my door wasn't completely closed. Apparently the parking break won't disengage if any doors are open. Pretty neat!
So remember kids,

Safety feature!

So remember kids,

Yes it’s a good idea. Also it beeps three times as a warning if you try to lock the doors via the button when leaving the car if one if the doors/liftgate is still open.

On my car, you CAN disengage the parking brake and drive merrily away with a door open-- I just tried it. But what it will not do is automatically release the EPB by simply stepping on the gas [which I never do]. Just push the EPB button. It behaves the same if you don't fasten your seat belt.

It nags, but allows you to override. The best of both worlds.

I managed to have all doors unlocked and use the liftgate button in the car this evening. I was feeling very thankful for the forum.

Back