2017~2024 2017 CX-5 GT Thumping noise coming from under rear seat

:
21CX5 Signature
I have 2017 CX-5 GT, need help of solving noise issue please.
When the car is idling/not in motion (It does not matter if the gear shifter in P,R,N or D and if my foot on the break pedal or not) I hear the thumping noise coming from under rear seat, if I push with my hand in the middle of the rear seat I actually can feel thump.
Could you please let me know if any of you have had such a problem? Or if any of you know what could cause the problem and what to do about it?
Thank you very much for your help.

I could be wrong here but it is possible that the fuel pump is located under the rear seat. Many cars have it in that location. My wife's old Audi did and started to make a thumping a whirring noise before it eventually failed. Since your car is so new it would be strange to have a failed fuel pump already but it is possible.

The other thought that comes to mind would be the transfer case for the AWD system that is located just about under the rear seats. It could be you are having issues with it. There have been reports of people having issues with them in the past. Either way I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it.

Maybe a badly positioned exhaust pipe occasionally meeting the bottom of the floor or something else down there...I had that happen to me in another car

Get your CX-5 up on a hoist and check for any loose components to the exhaust and rear suspension.

Anybody been reported missing in your neighborhood?

Anybody been reported missing in your neighborhood?

Haha, I also wondered if that was the case.

In answer to the above, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank and the transfer case is at the front. None of the transmission from the gearbox output back rotates when the vehicle is stationary.

I have heard of towbars knocking on the exhaust when they have been poorly fitted.

Could be as simple as something has been knocked loose or wasn't I down property at the factory

Could be as simple as something has been knocked loose or wasn't I down property at the factory

This is what I was just thinking of as well. I would check the spare tire compartment and the two triangular compartments each side just inside the hatch area. My thought is that the jack or the tools or something else is loose.

This is what I was just thinking of as well. I would check the spare tire compartment and the two triangular compartments each side just inside the hatch area. My thought is that the jack or the tools or something else is loose.

Good idea!

Should also check the rear passenger area and boot, could be something left behind

Toyota 4Runner - my 1st. car : champ went up to 499,999 miles and the ODO stopped it didn't. Same type of thumping noise. Someone told me to put 2 of these: Techron by Chevron ; 1 after the other - full tank each case. Thumping: gone.

I am not saying yours is same but sometime the fuel filter acts weird - what fuel you put in vehicle recently? Any shady small place fuel?

Back